Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflinegENERIX
/usr/bin/drinking?
 User Gallery

Loc: Skyward Bound
VPN Query Regarding Your Home Network
    #16672350 - 08/09/12 05:05 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Out of curiosity, can your entire home network run through a VPN? I'm imagining so but I'd like to know if there's an easy way to go about doing it? For example, I know when you pay for a VPN service, you usually have to activate it through your own machine but what I was wondering is there any way that all devices connected to your network run through the VPN without having to manually configure them each time round? I'm hoping I'm making sense.

I'm intending on moving house shortly and I'm looking into setting up a more secure home network. Ideally, I'd like to have all devices connecting through the VPN rather than just my own machine. My girlfriend isn't the most technical minded so I'd like to keep things as simple as possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblekoraks
Re: VPN Query Regarding Your Home Network [Re: gENERIX]
    #16674727 - 08/10/12 01:33 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

> I'm hoping I'm making sense.
Not really, at least not to me :wink:

What do you mean by your home network 'running through the VPN'? A VPN is a secure tunnel that allows e.g. an external machine (somewhere in the world) to access a local network in a secure way, i.e. with the data being encrypted.

What aspect of your network are you trying to secure? If it's about securing your network from access from the internet, then a simple router with network address translation (NAT; i.e. more or less every router in the market) will do just fine. If you're trying to secure the traffic over wireless connections within your local network (W-LAN), then just use WPA, which is secure enough for a home setup.

Only if you want to access your home network from the outside world, e.g. because you want to view your gf's nekkid pics while you're at work and you don't want to upload them to the Shroomery, then you can consider using a VPN connection.

OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

Re: VPN Query Regarding Your Home Network [Re: koraks]
    #16676152 - 08/10/12 11:58 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

If you want internet through a VPN, it will be your home connection going through the VPN to a host server. From there, your internet traffic will go through that server to the rest of t'interweb.

At your home, the VPN will need some handshake to confirm. Ahh, there's different sorts.

Basically you need to contact the VPN host and say (if that is, you want to get your internets through their server at the other end) how to setup the router to disseminate the VPN to all devices connected on your home network.

--------------------

Invisiblekoraks
Re: VPN Query Regarding Your Home Network [Re: Visionary Tools]
    #16676166 - 08/10/12 12:00 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Btw, note that you'd need a router that supports VPN to do this. All routers support NAT, but not all of them by a long shot support VPN. That is to say, you can build a VPN tunnel _through_ any router, but you can't make any router the end node of a VPN tunnel.

OfflineIdiot
I Am Moron!
Male User Gallery

Loc: 41.90231, 12.45390 Flag
    #16676662 - 08/10/12 01:38 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I think the easiest way to do that would be to set up an old PC as a proxy and rout your network through that.  Then just set up the VPN software on that.

--------------------

Customize your Shroomery experience!
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Invisiblekoraks
Re: VPN Query Regarding Your Home Network [Re: Idiot]
    #16676828 - 08/10/12 02:18 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Or just get a cheapish VPN router, maybe even secondhand. Takes up a lot less space, tends to be more reliable and it doesn't consume as much energy.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: VPN Query Regarding Your Home Network [Re: koraks]
    #16682859 - 08/11/12 03:51 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

> Or just get a cheapish VPN router, maybe even secondhand.

That is what I do.  I have a Cisco RV042 VPN router that I picked up for around $100.  It is a pretty nice little box.  It can load balance across two different ISPs (though each VPN configuration is tied to a WAN interface... it doesn't create a 'virtual interface' with auto-failover), supports VLAN tagging, etc.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflinegENERIX
/usr/bin/drinking?
 User Gallery

Loc: Skyward Bound
Re: VPN Query Regarding Your Home Network [Re: Seuss]
    #16688161 - 08/12/12 03:47 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for all the informative replies. I've been a little busy lately with work commitments so I've not really had the chance to jump back online.

After speaking to a friend at work, he recommended I go out and buy myself a router that supports VPN access. So after a quick hunt around, I picked up a second hand Netgear WNDR3700 for a reasonable price.

Now I need to look into OpenWrt which is a GNU/Linux based firmware program for embedded devices such as residential gateways and routers. Hopefully, with a little research, I should be up and running in no time at all.

Anyone got much experience with OpenWRT?

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #16688673 - 08/12/12 05:33 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Why bother getting a router that supports VPN access if you are going to replace the firmware with OpenWrt?

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisiblekoraks
    #16693426 - 08/13/12 01:45 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

gENERIX said:
Anyone got much experience with OpenWRT?

No, but like with most home-user IT things and all the tutorials out there, it won't be rocket science. Fuck about with it for a bit to see if you can get it to work. If you really fail miserably, you can always opt for the 2nd-hand, out-of-the-box VPN support router.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals