Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAceofShroomz
Tetractys
 User Gallery

Re: A weird thought. [Re: Fungal growth]
    #16676539 - 08/10/12 01:07 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

They're pseudo fruits/accessory fruits/false fruits. In a strange class of their own but they're still fruits. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessory_fruit

--------------------
"We are the artists, painting on the blank canvas of Reality." ~Me
The Mushroom Speaks

All information & pictures I post are falsified for entertainment purposes only.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineWimy
weiliiinmyyard
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE USA Flag
Re: A weird thought. [Re: AceofShroomz]
    #16676842 - 08/10/12 02:22 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

AceofShroomz said:
Quote:

weiliiinmyyard said:
Quote:

Inocuole said:
Uhh it's fairly common sense that it's a reproductive structure given that the spores from the cap are the main way it typically reproduces in nature.

This year's batch of noobs is way too hand fed.

This year's batch of veterans are assholes. You all act like everything you know, you were born knowing. And I understood the general premise for why the mushroom is called a fruit, it's still interesting. Because generally you refer to "fruits" as the seed-bearing entities of a flowering plant, not a mycelium network of fungus. Just because some of you have spent years of your life on the shroomery doesn't mean everyone else is retarded. Maybe you should go get a girlfriend or play some minigolf or something to get yourself away from your incessant thread-checking on this site. I'm sorry I didn't understand that although the mushroom is not a "fruit" in the fruit and veggies sense, it is the "fruiting body of a mycelium network". God I'm just so stupid. Excuse me for spending some time to cultivate a family, be a father, work, and have friends. I should've realized at some point the necessity to read The Mushroom Cultivator and any other little bits of mushroom information you have all stored in your arrogant little minds. Peace

I have a girlfriend, she was asleep right next to me when I typed that. See I have an iPad and an iPhone so I can thread check all day. And I have friends. And they all know that mushrooms are the reproductive organ of mycelium

--------------------

OfflineAceofShroomz
Tetractys
 User Gallery

Re: A weird thought. [Re: Wimy]
    #16676849 - 08/10/12 02:24 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

For sure wish I was as cool as you.

--------------------
The Mushroom Speaks

All information & pictures I post are falsified for entertainment purposes only.

OfflineWimy
weiliiinmyyard
Male User Gallery

#16676883 - 08/10/12 02:32 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I know that I didnt tend to get my wittle feewings hurt so easy when I was a noob. And i'm no vet either. Just relax man. It's cool. I answered you didn't I. Maybe I wasn't even referring to you.

--------------------

Edited by weiliiinmyyard (08/10/12 02:33 PM)

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
    #16676895 - 08/10/12 02:34 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

u mad bro?

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

OfflineUberTrooper
(>-.-)> --=====O <(o.O<)

Re: A weird thought. [Re: Doc_T]
    #16676906 - 08/10/12 02:35 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Fungal growth said:
strawberries are vegetables too then.

waitwaitwait... isn't a mushroom a fungus? not a vegetable or fruit? wtf?!?!

P.S. didn't read a damn thing.. :cool:

Edited by UberTrooper (08/10/12 02:41 PM)

OfflineAceofShroomz
Tetractys
 User Gallery

Re: A weird thought. [Re: UberTrooper]
    #16676936 - 08/10/12 02:42 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Ne0Khan said:
Quote:

Fungal growth said:
strawberries are vegetables too then.

waitwaitwait... isn't a mushroom a fungus? not a vegetable or fruit? wtf?!?!

Yes. Or wait no it's a FRUIT lol. It's neither fruit, nor vegetable, nor plant, nor animal.
And I'm not butthurt whoever is saying that, I just don't get why a lot of you feel it's necessary to slight everyone in one way or another. I thought it was a FUN question to ask. Because it truly ISN'T a fruit. So it interested me. Sometimes when you're really really retarded like myself though you don't notice it until it's pointed out by geniuses like yourselves. Thank you so much for waking me up to my own mental depravity. :1up:

--------------------
The Mushroom Speaks

OfflineUberTrooper
(>-.-)> --=====O <(o.O<)

#16676972 - 08/10/12 02:48 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Fair enough lol, its very interesting how it grows, sucking nutrients and water then spreading to new food and water while on the way dropping it's spore semen everywhere... very cool, but through this logic wouldn't it make sense that the total weight of the fruits from a flush of a pf cake could NOT exceed the total weight of the freshly birthed cake?

OfflineAceofShroomz
Tetractys
 User Gallery

#16677004 - 08/10/12 02:55 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

You would think. But it COULD add extra weight by using water from the surrounding humidity. Just a thought. I can't imagine the weight of a shroom flush on a cake exceeding the weight of the cake though. I'm also really interested in the way that they grow. It's really interesting. How the pins form due to evaporation, like the shrooms are chasing the evaporating water. And it's interesting how the mycelium pushes itself outward and sort of vortexes through it's own network and redefines itself as a mushroom. Like a caterpillar>butterfly type of thing. Shrooms have always held such a high interest in my book. Very otherworldly and hard to study. Especially the effects. Every trip is very personal and everyone has different trips. Not only that but in studies they find that when you "serial trip", the trips seems to flow together after extended exposure and each helps to define the trips before and after itself. Like the shrooms are trying to tell you a story piece by piece :sunny:

--------------------
The Mushroom Speaks

OfflineWimy
weiliiinmyyard
Male User Gallery

#16677011 - 08/10/12 02:55 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Next time try google. Fruits and fruiting bodies are the correct terms.
http://www.mushroomthejournal.com/greatlakesdata/Terms/TermsFrame.html

--------------------

InvisibleFungal growth
Lootinint
Male User Gallery

Loc: under a rock in your yard
    #16677025 - 08/10/12 02:58 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

hey hey, :lightbulb:
we should just call them "mushrooms"!

OfflineUberTrooper
(>-.-)> --=====O <(o.O<)

#16677026 - 08/10/12 02:59 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

very good points, but what i've always been interested in the actual drug the fungi produces, does it have a "gland" of sorts ore does the mycelium just naturally produce it as its growing as a sort of hormone?! im lost.

InvisibleFungal growth
Lootinint
Male User Gallery

#16677057 - 08/10/12 03:03 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Ne0Khan said:
very good points, but what i've always been interested in the actual drug the fungi produces, does it have a "gland" of sorts ore does the mycelium just naturally produce it as its growing as a sort of hormone?! im lost.

idk, but that's a great ?

OfflineAceofShroomz
Tetractys
 User Gallery

#16677125 - 08/10/12 03:17 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

It's pure indescribable magic. I think Terence was onto something with his ideas. Have you seen the video in my sig? It's really cool. I think they are some sort of Universal information-keepers that gift us with certain knowledge that we are ready to receive.

--------------------
The Mushroom Speaks

OfflineMorPhyscher
Stranger
    #16677170 - 08/10/12 03:24 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

That audio clip is from one of the last chapters of his audiobook for True Hallucinations:pipesmoke:  I love Terence Mckenna... he and Alan Watts are my heros.:heart: 

Edit: I guess it said that in the info... lol

Edited by MorPhyscher (08/10/12 03:26 PM)

OfflineWimy
weiliiinmyyard
Male User Gallery

#16677248 - 08/10/12 03:38 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

AceofShroomz said:
It's pure indescribable magic. I think Terence was onto something with his ideas. Have you seen the video in my sig? It's really cool. I think they are some sort of Universal information-keepers that gift us with certain knowledge that we are ready to receive.

We don't really know how life happened, right? For all we know the ingredients of life could have landed here on a meteorite. Animals and fungi just took a seperate path- above and below the ground. McKenna has some interesting theories for sure, but he kind of creeps me out personally (not saying he is not a brilliant individual, this feeling more stems from his theories on dimethyltriptamine and my own personal experiences)
But as far as mycologists go, stamets IS the man. And he has some pretty interesting theories as well. You should check out 6 ways that mushrooms can save the earth by Paul Stamets.
Here is stamets in a seperate interview
Stamets: Well, humans aren’t just one organism. We are composites. Scientists label species as separate so we can communicate easily about the variety we see in nature. We need to be able to look at a tree and say it’s a Douglas fir and look at a mammal and say it’s a harbor seal. But, indeed, I speak to you as a unified composite of microbes. I guess you could say I am the “elected voice” of a microbial community. This is the way of life on our planet. It is all based on complex symbiotic relationships.

A mycelial “mat,” which scientists think of as one entity, can be thousands of acres in size. The largest organism in the world is a mycelial mat in eastern Oregon that covers 2,200 acres and is more than two thousand years old. Its survival strategy is somewhat mysterious. We have five or six layers of skin to protect us from infection; the mycelium has one cell wall. How is it that this vast mycelial network, which is surrounded by hundreds of millions of microbes all trying to eat it, is protected by one cell wall? I believe it’s because the mycelium is in constant biochemical communication with its ecosystem.

I think these mycelial mats are neurological networks. They’re sentient, they’re aware, and they’re highly evolved. They have external stomachs, which produce enzymes and acids to digest nutrients outside the mycelium, and then bring in those compounds that it needs for nutrition. As you walk through a forest, you break twigs underneath your feet, and the mycelium surges upward to capture those newly available nutrients as quickly as possible. I say they have “lungs,” because they are inhaling oxygen and exhaling carbon dioxide, just like we are. I say they are sentient, because they produce pharmacological compounds — which can activate receptor sites in our neurons — and also serotonin-like compounds, including psilocybin, the hallucinogen found in some mushrooms. This speaks to the fact that there is an evolutionary common denominator between fungi and humans. We evolved from fungi. We took an overground route. The fungi took the route of producing these underground networks that are highly resilient and extremely adaptive: if you disturb a mycelial network, it just regrows. It might even benefit from the disturbance.

I have long proposed that mycelia are the earth’s “natural Internet.” I’ve gotten some flak for this, but recently scientists in Great Britain have published papers about the “architecture” of a mycelium — how it’s organized. They focused on the nodes of crossing, which are the branchings that allow the mycelium, when there is a breakage or an infection, to choose an alternate route and regrow. There’s no one specific point on the network that can shut the whole operation down. These nodes of crossing, those scientists found, conform to the same mathematical optimization curves that computer scientists have developed to optimize the Internet. Or, rather, I should say that the Internet conforms to the same optimization curves as the mycelium, since the mycelium came first.

Also, sorry for offending you before. I choose not to take offense to your response, you've got me all wrong. I'm not a knowledge database or a mycology veteran.. Quite the amateur actually. I just think that as far as conversation and individuals go on this board we all kind of come from the same molding, this fascination with fungus, and I feel like the way the cultivation forum used to operate was more adequate for molding "noobs" into mycologists. Now it's just like here's the steps to grow cubensis. Your question was valid, but you could have determined the answer easier. My gf just showed up and she is asking me to do things now :smile:  so we can chat more later if you want

--------------------

InvisibleFungal growth
Lootinint
Male User Gallery

Re: A weird thought. [Re: MorPhyscher]
    #16677274 - 08/10/12 03:42 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

terrence mckenna is pretty awesome. have not seen the link (i don't think) but i'll check it out on a better connection. i have listened to one where he described the world as it would be had christ not been crucified, and the one that theorizes that psychedelic mushroms are responsible for human evolution.
but am i the only one who thinks he sounds like mr. rogers?

OfflineMorPhyscher
Stranger
    #16677415 - 08/10/12 04:05 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

He sounds like a machine-elf:wink:

OfflineWimy
weiliiinmyyard
Male User Gallery

Re: A weird thought. [Re: MorPhyscher]
    #16677438 - 08/10/12 04:09 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Self transforming machine elves. I've seen them.

--------------------

OfflineMorPhyscher
Stranger
    #16677465 - 08/10/12 04:14 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

We are them! :didyouseethat:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck