Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblevitamink
This weathersucks
Loc: Steers and Queers
Jars with black spots(mold?) continue to colonize?!?!?
    #1665908 - 06/26/03 10:09 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Ya so my pet has some jars with black spots in them that range in size from the size of a nail head to just smaller than a dime. The spots are pretty random and they are not just shadows or dark pieces of verm. With continuos inspection after being quarantined from healthy jars, it seems that the jars continue to colonize with perfectly white myc. and the black spots are slowly being smothered by the myc. growth. There is no stink coming from the jars either. They have been incubating for about 2 weeks, if that.

Is this/was this a contam? Can myc. recover from a contam attack to be 100% healthy again?

Thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinekukusz
Owner of belowhot monkey!

Loc: East Coast
Re: Jars with black spots(mold?) continue to colonize?!?!? [Re: vitamink]
    #1665926 - 06/26/03 10:21 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

My friend has succesfully fruited some cakes that had mild contam before - but he probably would not do it again, not worth the risk unless you can quarantine those jars throughout their lifespan.

--------------------
All of my posts are for discussion purposes only. All posts concerning cultivation of mushrooms refer to legal gourmet mushrooms only. Yes, I support monkey-human relationships.

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1666176 - 06/27/03 12:09 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

If you're really in the need for some sporeprints, you could quarantine those jars and fruit them...It sounds like the mycelium will battle it off.

However, you should not eat the fruits from those cakes.

OfflineSnobrdr311
outdoorenthusiast
 User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Re: Jars with black spots(mold?) continue to colonize?!?!? [Re: angryshroom]
    #1666313 - 06/27/03 01:00 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Angryshroom and everyone else, i've had this happen many times, it isn't mold, it's nothing more than spores now becoming visible once the mycelium engulfs the substrate and turns everything white.

That's all, they're just spores bro, nothing to be worried about.

OfflineSnobrdr311
outdoorenthusiast
 User Gallery

Re: Jars with black spots(mold?) continue to colonize?!?!? [Re: Snobrdr311]
    #1666318 - 06/27/03 01:01 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Oh, one more thing, you can eat the fruits off those cakes until your heart is content without anything to worry about. This isn't mold.

Offlineneutralizer
Spiritual beinghaving a Humanexperience
Loc: This Planet Earth
Re: Jars with black spots(mold?) continue to colonize?!?!? [Re: angryshroom]
    #1666537 - 06/27/03 02:49 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

angryshroom said:
However, you should not eat the fruits from those cakes.

Why not? Assuming that the mycelium wins out, if you check and make sure they are the mushrooms you are growing, why not eat them?

--------------------
There are things known, and there are things unknown, and in between are the doors - Morrison

InvisibleSorted
Monkee
Loc: UK
    #1666621 - 06/27/03 04:08 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I've had a similar thing happen with a couple of mazatapec jars a while back.. the mycelium was growing along side some patches of penicillium(sp) mold and quite quickly managed to overcome it, leaving nice white mycelium where the mold once was :smile: 

InvisibleSorted
Monkee
    #1666630 - 06/27/03 04:16 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

i've had this happen many times, it isn't mold, it's nothing more than spores now becoming visible

Are you using a whole print per jar or something for patches to become visible?! Sounds kind of doubtful.. I've never seen such a thing, or even heard of it happening

Offlineneutralizer
Re: Jars with black spots(mold?) continue to colonize?!?!? [Re: Sorted]
    #1666743 - 06/27/03 06:27 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Sorted said:
I've had a similar thing happen with a couple of mazatapec jars a while back.. the mycelium was growing along side some patches of penicillium(sp) mold and quite quickly managed to overcome it, leaving nice white mycelium where the mold once was :smile: 

This is happenning to my faery godmother's jars as we speak :smile:  She's glad she didn't throw them away.  She was planning on examining it when the mycelium has 100% colonized, to see if there is any left-over contam - if there's no contam, any reason she shouldn't case & eat the fruit?

--------------------
There are things known, and there are things unknown, and in between are the doors - Morrison

InvisibleAinasko
Oksania
    #1666746 - 06/27/03 06:31 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

It could also be aspergillus, which often presents itself as black. Some species of aspergillus are toxic.

If your jars are presenting black that was not previously there, they are without doubt, contaminated. The severity is questionable. Some contaminations, like aspergillus, can be toxic. Others are an annoyance.

It is better to be safe than hope for the best and try to save the jars.

--------------------
Ainasko is my name backwards. I'm a girl!

OfflineSnobrdr311
outdoorenthusiast
 User Gallery

#1668250 - 06/27/03 10:21 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Doubtful? How is it doubtful? The spores you inject into the BRF are black, they stay on the substrate then when the mycelium colonizes the white brings the black out so it's easier to see. This IS NOT mold folks, if it were mold there's no way the mycelium would beat it, mold always takes over inside a jar unless it's sprayed with something.. this is not mold, it's spores.. and it happens all the time. I've heard so many people talk about this on here, and so many experts say it's just spores and nothing to be worried about.

It is not mold, trust me, this is a common thing to happen on PF cakes.

OfflineSnobrdr311
outdoorenthusiast
 User Gallery

#1668252 - 06/27/03 10:23 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Sorted said:
Quote:

i've had this happen many times, it isn't mold, it's nothing more than spores now becoming visible

Are you using a whole print per jar or something for patches to become visible?! Sounds kind of doubtful.. I've never seen such a thing, or even heard of it happening

A whole print per jar!!! HAHAHA, are you kidding me? I use maybe 1/16th of a medium sized print for one syringe, the one syringe knocks up 12 PF jars. I use enough spores to see them in the water, that's it! The dime sized spots are the innoculation points.

InvisibleTxTec
Texas home andheart breaker...

#1668269 - 06/27/03 10:38 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I bought a really light ass print from one of our sponsers {Messkin one} and made 10 syringes from it but i fucked up and didnt print none of them...Damn they were fuckin beautifull shrooms just a bit small.

--------------------
I felt a warm warm breeze that melted metal and steele

OfflineDSD
devil

Loc: Bad,Bad person - minus ...
    #1668520 - 06/28/03 01:32 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

NO. THROW THAT SHIT OUT AND START OVER. AND DEFINITELY DON'T TAKE PRINTS FROM THEM IF THEY DO PRODUCE, THE PRINTS WILL PROBABLY BE CONTAMMED, AND SOMEWHERE ALONG THE LINE I'LL GET THAT PRINT AND WASTE A BUNCH OF JARS !

OfflineDSD
devil

Loc: Bad,Bad person - minus ...
Re: Jars with black spots(mold?) continue to colonize?!?!? [Re: DSD]
    #1668531 - 06/28/03 01:36 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

O.K. , I took 2 vicodin and a cocktail chaser, please no more shitty prints ! we all know how much that sucks !

InvisibleSorted
Monkee
    #1668824 - 06/28/03 05:33 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Doubtful? How is it doubtful? The spores you inject into the BRF are black, they stay on the substrate then when the mycelium colonizes the white brings the black out so it's easier to see

So you're saying that spores (little clumps of which might just be visible in the syringe, and purple if you want to be pedantic about it) suddenly manage to neatly group into patches just smaller than a dime inside a jar when injected? Even though it mostly runs down the jar from the innoculation point.. maybe you could point out some threads where "so many people talk about this"

Quote:

This IS NOT mold folks, if it were mold there's no way the mycelium would beat it, mold always takes over inside a jar unless it's sprayed with something.. this is not mold, it's spores

Like me and others have said, mycelium is perfectly capable of beating some types of molds. Unless we're all mistaking it for spores aswell. Try doing a search before stating there's no way things can happen.

InvisibleAinasko
Oksania
    #1669213 - 06/28/03 10:42 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Snobrdr311 said:
Doubtful? How is it doubtful? The spores you inject into the BRF are black, they stay on the substrate then when the mycelium colonizes the white brings the black out so it's easier to see. This IS NOT mold folks, if it were mold there's no way the mycelium would beat it, mold always takes over inside a jar unless it's sprayed with something.. this is not mold, it's spores.. and it happens all the time. I've heard so many people talk about this on here, and so many experts say it's just spores and nothing to be worried about.

It is not mold, trust me, this is a common thing to happen on PF cakes.

Please, pardon my disagreement, but this is very bad information.

Spores are microscopic. Seeing spores bound together inside the syringe is common, but disperses when injected into your substrate.

If you see black in your jars that is abnormal in comparison to your substrate, always assume it is a contamination.

--------------------
Ainasko is my name backwards. I'm a girl!

Offlineneutralizer
Re: Jars with black spots(mold?) continue to colonize?!?!? [Re: neutralizer]
    #1669250 - 06/28/03 11:05 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

neutralizer said:
Quote:

Sorted said:

This is happenning to my faery godmother's jars as we speak :smile:  She's glad she didn't throw them away.  She was planning on examining it when the mycelium has 100% colonized, to see if there is any left-over contam - if there's no contam, any reason she shouldn't case & eat the fruit? 

--------------------

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #1669332 - 06/28/03 11:37 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Would you please provide us with a post or a link to one of these experts stating this?

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Invisiblevitamink
This weathersucks
Loc: Steers and Queers
Re: Jars with black spots(mold?) continue to colonize?!?!? [Re: dog]
    #1669418 - 06/28/03 12:02 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

haha holy shit i wish i had my camera so i could take some pics.

stop fighting you guys! wheres the love???

=P

anyways, thanks for the responses. heh

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale