Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
Parents and Religion/Spirituality
    #1666132 - 06/27/03 01:54 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

When I grew up, my parents never went to church or talked to me about God or anything like that. There is only one time I can recall when my mom took me to a church to show me what one was like, and I think she might have explained to me how some people believe in the concept of God.

For this, I cannot thank them enough! I think it's so important that parents do not force their own religion or spirituality upon their children. This allows them to explore for themselves and find their own spiritual path, and I think it makes it a lot more meaningful and fulfulling if one discovers his own spirituality for himself.

Do you people agree?

--------------------
Namaste.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
Re: Parents and Religion/Spirituality [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #1666175 - 06/27/03 02:09 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I agree with you, but then again, sometimes it's good to grow up with a religion so you could reject it and find your own way. it's good to have something to push off against.

OfflineDavid_Scape
Anti Genius
Male

Loc: U.S. of muthafuckin A.
Re: Parents and Religion/Spirituality [Re: infidelGOD]
    #1666210 - 06/27/03 02:22 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Are you religious now, Rebelsteve? Cause i cant imagine somebody becoming religious or even particularly spiritual if they were'nt raised with that type of thinking (well at least i'd hardly believe it would be the norm.).

--------------------
focusing
Flow
The Enneagram

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: Parents and Religion/Spirituality [Re: David_Scape]
    #1666235 - 06/27/03 02:32 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

If I have children, I plan on showing them as many religions as possible... and then explain that they don't have to believe in any of it.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

OfflineCleverName
the cloudsshould know meby now...

Loc: red earth painted with mi...
    #1666409 - 06/27/03 03:36 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

enough of religion. is spirituality different? im not really sure. i wouldnt want to push my own dogmas on anyone else, but how else do you raise your offspring with morals. the fact thiat i can say i have my own dogmas makes me inquire more about myself. i think when we "die" we go to one consciessness, and possiably go on to exist again. how does one teach morals without dogma? im sure (especiaially here) we all now that everything is relitive. but that can be a cop-out to an argument. see, the fact that i think this now.....is this dogma?

teachings others seems to be a pardox...even this

--------------------
if you can't find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?

this is the purpose

Edited by CleverName (06/27/03 03:37 AM)

OfflineCleverName

Re: Parents and Religion/Spirituality [Re: CleverName]
    #1666422 - 06/27/03 03:39 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

is what im thinking at this moment dogma, whether i believe it or not?

--------------------
if you can't find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?

this is the purpose

OfflineCleverName

Re: Parents and Religion/Spirituality [Re: CleverName]
    #1666430 - 06/27/03 03:41 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

or is what im not thinking at this moment dogma, whether i believe it or not?

--------------------

this is the purpose

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
Re: Parents and Religion/Spirituality [Re: David_Scape]
    #1666479 - 06/27/03 04:13 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

:smile:

I am not "religious" in any way, shape, or form.  But because my parents left the world of religion open for me to explore, I have done a lot of research on many different spiritual paths.

I have not chosen an existing path, rather I've created my own based on the beliefs of others.  I am extremely spiritual, although I pray to no God and I go to no church.  I have found what works for me, and this makes me happy.  The spirituality I've developed for myself brings me peace. 

It is Peace.  And it is Love. 

Nature is my God and the Earth is my Church.

If my parents would have raised me as a Christian, I might still be a Christian and I might still be happy with those beliefs and still have peace.  I'm not saying that the beliefs I have are any better than those of another spiritual path.  I think that whatever each individual person finds as their own religion is great if it works for them. 

I'm just saying that I'm really happy my parents left me to find my spirituality on my own.  It just makes it more meaningful to me for some reason. 

--------------------
Namaste.

Offlinejohnnyfive
Burning withCircles!
Loc: Hell
    #1666857 - 06/27/03 10:49 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I was forced into the shit. Growing up in South Carolina was hell.

Even today my grandma trys to make me go, but i say, "fuck that!", i ain't a goin, religion is the real devil!!!!!!!

Later on in life they weren't so pushy of it, and i only went because i couldn't stand being at home. What sucks about it all is that at first i truely bought into it. What kept me going was the fear, of going to hell. Later in life i realized that "fear" is the true and only reason why people stay with the church crowd. After psychedelics i knew that this shit is FUCKED UP! I knew that this fear in god shit, HAD TO GO! There's no god in the sky that will strike you dead for something you say or do. No such god exists.

After psychedelics came in the picture, soon lead me to what fucked up with EVERYTHING!

Long ago we used to say, "Do you swear you soul to the devil if..." One time i lyed, he said "Do you swear you soul to the devil, that you didn't push me on the grass (long story)", but in summary i had lyed. After that i was fearing that i was doomed for at least 5 years of my life. That what was happening to me was my fault.

LOL, on my last shroom trip after the inccident with the power outage, I thought to myself, did i just sign my soul over (i had a penlazer, and i was scribbling on the wall, with no apparent symbolizm of any kind). I heard in a devilish voice, "Muahahaha" all of this was implying that i had doomed my soul. I thought back to the time when i did that as a child, AND AT THAT MOMENT IT WAS JUST TOO FUNNY. I made a pack with the devil (and i like it!!!!!!!!!). So im the snake, the one they said was "Poisen" to the other two. LOL

From this i learned that the devil and god are the same thing.

--------------------
And the gameshow host rings the buzzer (brrnnntt) oh and now you get a face full of face!

Edited by johnnyfive (06/27/03 10:56 AM)

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: Parents and Religion/Spirituality [Re: johnnyfive]
    #1667536 - 06/27/03 06:09 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

very intresting, althought raised in the church, i think I would have been better off if my parents gave me more freedom to decide, but like infidelgod said, its just pushoff to find what I really believe...

Offlinemntlfngrs
The Art of Casterbation
Male User Gallery

#1667709 - 06/27/03 07:19 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Although my daughter is still pretty young to grasp alot of this she has asked questions about god. I have done the same thing your parents did and explained what I could and said that it is something that some people believe in. I have asked her what she believes and she said that she believes in god. I chalk that up to a childs tendancy to believe in majic and things fantastic. As she gets older I plan to encourage her to learn about as many as possible.

--------------------
Be all and you'll be to end all

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: Parents and Religion/Spirituality [Re: mntlfngrs]
    #1667840 - 06/27/03 08:31 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

(I didn't read the whole thread up to this point)

I was raised in a Christian household and I was taught "DO NOT QUESTION ANYTHING WE TELL YOU". In a lot of ways, it certianly took away the lust for life. But as infidelGOD said it can be good to have something to reject to find my own way. Either way I guess it works out, but I agree with you Steve, I find it sad when I see people forcing their childern to believe in something and teaching them "this is the way it is, do not question".

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

OfflineZahid
Stranger
    #1667862 - 06/27/03 08:47 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I think there is a huge difference between cramming religion down a child's throat and raising that child in a religious fashion.

My parents raised me as Christian, although they certainly did not shove the religion down my throat. When I showed little interest in going to church, they stopped taking me with them. I was like 5 or 6 at the time, and eventually I became a Christian on my own at about 12 before progressing to Islam at 17.

When I have children someday, I have every intention on raising them as Muslims.

--------------------

InvisibleBoppity604
Stranger
Re: Parents and Religion/Spirituality [Re: Zahid]
    #1667978 - 06/27/03 09:48 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I was raised Roman Catholic...but by 4th grade once i realized I was gay...I also realized at that time that something weird was going on when we weren't allowed to read certain parts of the bible in our CCD classes. So, I quickly pulled myself away from being Catholic. My parents weren't very forceful with religion...once I was confirmed they said it was up to me to keep going to church...so they didn't care when I stopped going.

I considered myself an atheist from 6th-11th grades. Figured there simply was nothing spiritual about life at all. Then I had some personal experiences and I decided to remain "agnostic" believing in the possibility...but not putting a name or label on it.

I finally converted to the Lukumi religion in 1992. I began a long process of studying and taking initiations into the religion which have been preparing me for my full ordination into the priesthood. It's been a great journey and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. My folks were against my converting to a non-christian faith...but the fact that I still believe in God is "good enough" for them. Plus...my conversion was after they disowned me for being gay anyway...so the religion issue was the least of their "worries."

There comes a point where you just learn to accept people for who they are; regardless if who they really are is anything like the way we want them to be. I know I can't change my parents' views/beliefs so I simply accept them as my parents and love them just the same...regardless if they're capable of returning the love. Dad died in 1995, and he died without closure between us...so I'll never know how he truly felt about me...but that's okay. Dad's death brought my Mom and I a lot closer together...she finally accepts the gay issue, but she still refuses to acknowledge the fact that her son is about to become a fully ordained priest. But hey...one step at a time.

Love & Light,

Boppity

Invisiblechunder
marker

Loc: The City
Re: Parents and Religion/Spirituality [Re: Boppity604]
    #1668045 - 06/27/03 10:21 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

My parents raised me with Christian ideals, and I'm glad they did. Of course, they didn't teach me mainstream "Christianity", they showed me Jesus' teachings and let me pretty much interpret them how I wanted. We hardly ever attended any churches, but we talked about and read scripture every day. I'm thankful that I recieved such a non-dogmatic and openminded introduction to Jesus' teachings, because I believe they are some of the best groundwork for any kind of spirituality. Jesus was a good man, the church that grew in his name was not so good (understatement?).

Since my childhood I've definitely expanded, augmented, grown in my spirituality and wouldn't even really call myself a Christian, but I owe a LOT to the teachings of Jesus. It just seems like most "Christians" listen more to their pastors/parents/peers than they do to the teachings of Jesus. Go figure.

I believe I'll probably try and show my children what I've learned about spirituality, but I'll definitely let them find their own personal way through the maze of religion/spirituality. Peace.

--------------------

OfflineAlbino_Jesus
Clearly Retarded
 User Gallery

Loc: Construction ahead...
Re: Parents and Religion/Spirituality [Re: johnnyfive]
    #1668301 - 06/28/03 01:02 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

um. I don't know if that was serious, or a gross display of "OH MY GOD I HAVE FUCKING ISSUES" as a joke, but, if the former, calm down, take a valium. Jesus can't hurt you anymore. K?

--------------------
The only difference between the Republican and Democratic parties is the velocities with which their knees hit the floor when corporations knock on their door.
-Ralph Nader

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Re: Parents and Religion/Spirituality [Re: Albino_Jesus]
    #1668894 - 06/28/03 08:49 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I was raised Catholic for about 7 or 8 years. Most of the time when I went to church I would get to sit in the balcony with the church choir because my mom played in it. I would eat all the peppermints up there, and sometimes throw the wrappers down on peoples' heads in the pews below.

Me and a couple friends were always adventuring around the church, sneaking into the bell-tower, the morgue, the backrooms, etc.
Plus there was this one girl I always hung out with there that I had a serious crush on.

Then I'd always be looking forward to the jelly donuts at the after-mass reception thingy...

As you can see, Church was pretty fun for me when I was little, and I don't ever remember paying attention to the priest, or any of my sunday school teachers. It was always just a bunch of a words coming out of their mouths that didn't interest me at all. It was always just another Sunday to goof off.

However I did get the fear of hell hanging over my shoulders for a little while. Even recently I still occasionally thought "What if it is all true?"
fuckin bullshit.

i believe that fear is one of the worst poisons to your life.

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Re: Parents and Religion/Spirituality [Re: Grav]
    #1668899 - 06/28/03 08:53 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

my mom never tried to push anything on me. i think she was just there for the music...

my dad was / is pretty faithful to christainity, and he would say prayers with me at night alot, but he never pushed anything on me either. He's told me that it is just his way of "holding onto a branch in the raging river of life", which i can respect.

Offlinejohnnyfive
Burning withCircles!
Loc: Hell
Re: Parents and Religion/Spirituality [Re: Albino_Jesus]
    #1669222 - 06/28/03 12:50 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Man i am calm, the devil is my friend.  :grin:

Im not getting what you mean.

ive never had a bad trip, and ive had aleast 4 if not 5 high doses trips, so i guess that says something?

I guess we have a partnership to spread satanic idea's here at the shroomery. :wink:

--------------------
And the gameshow host rings the buzzer (brrnnntt) oh and now you get a face full of face!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology