Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinebemmers1
friend of afriendly farmer
Are kits that different than jars?
    #1665775 - 06/26/03 11:17 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Hey folks,
Just a quick question, hopefully someone has some input.  I have grown mushrooms on several occasions, but always in mason jars.  I recently bought a kit to try it out, and was just wondering if growth of the mycellium is any different.  I always grew on brown rice and verm, but this kit uses hay.  The directions said that mycellium takes about twelve days to fully colonize, but it has been twelve days and there is absolutely no sign of growth.  I know I have to be patient as nature has its own timeframe, but I was just curious if the mycellium perhaps starts growth deep within the hay where I might not be able to see it.  Is there any way to check growth or should I just leave it?  Thanks for any help and comments :smile: 

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleLiL_KuSsH
Lost In The Trip

Deleted [Re: bemmers1]
    #1665788 - 06/26/03 11:21 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Post deleted by administrator

Offlinekukusz
Owner of belowhot monkey!

Loc: East Coast
Re: Are kits that different than jars? [Re: bemmers1]
    #1665789 - 06/26/03 11:21 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Checking growth is probably a bad idea, could introduce contams. Straw is generally a more fruitful substrate then BRF. Are you incubating the kit? You generally do not incubate straw, and since this seems like it's just a straw substrate "kit" then I assume the same thing is true here. Waiting is probably the best idea, not sure there is much you can do. Anyone else have any ideas?

--------------------
All of my posts are for discussion purposes only. All posts concerning cultivation of mushrooms refer to legal gourmet mushrooms only. Yes, I support monkey-human relationships.

Edited by kukusz (06/26/03 11:22 PM)

Offlinebemmers1
Re: Are kits that different than jars? [Re: kukusz]
    #1665847 - 06/26/03 11:41 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I'm just keeping it between 78 and 82 as best I can.  That's what was recommended, so I'm just doing as I was told :smile:.  Anymore ideas?
Thanks for the help!

Offlinebemmers1
    #1665849 - 06/26/03 11:43 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Another idea...I have two prints, but they are over a year old. Could I introduce them into the substrate somehow? Will they even work because they are so old?

Offlinekukusz
Owner of belowhot monkey!

Loc: East Coast
    #1665869 - 06/26/03 11:51 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Well if the directions say 80ish, then keep it at 80ish. 

I would NOT try to add spores to the substrate.  If it is a kit, I would assume that they are not trying to totally jack you so there is at least some spores in there.  Even I tiny bit of spores or spawn is good enough to eventually colonize your whole kit.  Messing with it, escpecially introducing another strain is most likely doomed to fail.  I would take your spore prints, make some syringes (go into the FAQ and read up on syringe teks) and then read up on WBS or Popcorn and then case those suckers.  And by the time you get pretty far along with this stuff your kit will be barely fruiting if it's still not colonizing, and so you have nothing to lose :smile:

--------------------
All of my posts are for discussion purposes only. All posts concerning cultivation of mushrooms refer to legal gourmet mushrooms only. Yes, I support monkey-human relationships.

OfflineWilf
Loc: England
Re: Are kits that different than jars? [Re: kukusz]
    #1669990 - 06/28/03 08:13 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Well, I'm currently growing from a kit and it took around two weeks for full colonization. I think mycelium does grow from deep below the surface layer of the kit. Mine took a while to get going, but is working well and I've had my first trip from 2.3g dry. Was a wondeful if somewhat confusing night.

Anyway, that's off the point. I've very new to growing, but since it's a kit I'd suggest just waiting.

OfflinePsilocybin_monkey
Shroomer

Loc: Dragon's Den
Re: Are kits that different than jars? [Re: Wilf]
    #1671602 - 06/29/03 04:03 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

pros: well with kits they yeild more mushrooms and when cased it don't need as much humidity then the pf tek.kits also get bigger and more flushes (for the most part).

cons: they cost ALOT of MONEY that is not needed to spend they are alot to work with and more manual like for example you have to hand fan them and spray them.you are putting all you eggs in one basket meaning that if you get contams you have to trought out thw whole thing where as in the pf tek you have to trough out the one cake and you still get mushrooms.

--------------------
Welcome to my world!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation