Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisibledwpineal
Psychedelic Artist
 User Gallery

Mexico’s President-Elect Signals “Internationalization” of Drug War
    #16653152 - 08/06/12 11:58 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

http://newamericamedia.org/2012/08/mexicos-president-elect-signals-internationalization-of-drug-war.php

Mexico’s President-Elect Signals “Internationalization” of Drug War

MEXICO CITY – Mexicans have long grown weary of their country’s prolonged War on Drugs. Now, with President-elect Enrique Peña Nieto set to take office in December, it appears change may finally be in the offing.

That change, however, may not be what most Mexicans were expecting.

“A transnational phenomenon requires a transnational strategy,” Óscar Naranjo, Colombia’s former director of the National Police and current advisor to Peña Nieto, told reporters last week.  “No country can succeed in an insular and isolated manner if it is to achieve timely or definitive victories.”

Far from “re-envisioning” the approach taken by outgoing President Felipe Calderon, credited with having launched the crackdown on the country’s drug cartels in 2006, Peña Nieto is preparing the Mexican people for a major escalation. It is a shift that could draw in military forces from Mexico’s neighbors, including the United States.

Mexico has not had foreign troops on its soil since the U.S. invaded in 1847. The country’s constitution bans foreign troops from its territory. But Mexican officials have been quietly developing strategies for circumventing these prohibitions.

High-ranking advisors suggest one strategy would be to develop a “multinational” military force comprised of American, Colombian and Chilean military advisors to work with Mexican marines and special forces under an international mandate.

“Not only the United States, but the world, must ally with Mexico to help Mexico overcome the challenge of transnational crime,” Naranjo continued.

Still, he insisted, the final “solution to the Mexican problem remains in the hands of Mexicans.” It is an assertion that ignores one crucial fact: the War on Drugs has never been in the hands of the Mexicans.
During the recent presidential campaign, none of the candidates were willing to touch the issue.

Josefina Vazquez, candidate from Calderón’s National Action party (PAN), made no mention of it, presumably because she did not want to remind voters that it was her party that first launched the campaign. Peña Nieto steered clear knowing that governors from his Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI) stood accused of collaborating with drug traffickers, or being corrupted by them.

The leftist candidate, Andrés López Obrador of the Democratic Revolutionary Party (PRD), avoided discussing the War on Drugs simply because he had no new ideas to offer. Their collective reluctance to broach the subject was cause for much discussion throughout the Spanish-speaking world.

But now that Peña Nieto is well on his way to the presidential palace, he is beginning to reveal his strategy.

For several years Mexico has availed itself of the United States for assistance, including the sending of Mexican marines to the U.S. for Pentagon training in counter-intelligence and special forces military strikes.

“We have learned from American officers who have fought in Iraq and Afghanistan,” a Mexican marine corporal, who asked that his name not be used as he is not authorized to speak to the media, told American reporters in October 2011. “The Americans suffer from similar types of ambushes in their wars, and have learned how to respond to them in a tight, disciplined way. We apply those techniques to our fight here.”

The training of Mexican marines for Iraq- and Afghanistan-style warfare by the Pentagon is only part of the “transnational” approach pursued by Calderón.  Mexico has received intelligence from the U.S. military as well.

“A sea change has occurred over the past years in how effective Mexico and U.S. intelligence exchanges have become,” Arturo Sarukhán, Mexico’s ambassador to the United States, confirmed to the New York Times a year ago. “It is underpinned by the understanding that transnational organized crime can only be successfully confronted by working hand in hand, and that the outcome is as simple as it is compelling: we will together succeed or together fail.”

This gradual escalation is set to accelerate once Peña Nieto takes office, with speculation that Mexico might make an appeal to the Organization of American States (OAS) or the United Nations for “help” in preventing the emergence of a “narco-state.”

Under this scenario, Latin American countries and the United States would come to the “assistance” of Mexico with the authorization of an OAS declaration or a United Nations resolution affirming the legitimate need for assistance by the Mexican government.

Such help has already come, albeit in clandestine fashion, from the United States. Last year it was revealed that American drones authorized by the Obama administration had violated Mexican airspace. “Stepping up its involvement in Mexico’s drug war, the Obama administration has begun sending drones deep into Mexican territory to gather intelligence,” the New York Times reported.

For the White House, it was an embarrassing revelation. But what was “embarrassing” in 2011 may now be part of Peña Nieto’s new strategy, one well timed with events north of the border.

As American involvement in Iraq winds down and U.S. troop numbers in Afghanistan are scaled back, the additional personnel may allow U.S. military officials to contemplate “limited” and “strategic” operations to assist in a “multinational” effort for other missions in Latin America.

This “transnational” nature of the War on Drugs that Mexican officials are now openly discussing is part of a national conversation swirling through the Mexican capital, anticipating how such an approach might succeed where the current Mexico-alone strategy has failed.

For Peña Nieto, it is clear that had he openly debated this course of action, the presidential election might have turned out differently.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGodluck
Demon
 User Gallery

Re: Mexico’s President-Elect Signals “Internationalization” of Drug War [Re: dwpineal]
    #16653689 - 08/06/12 01:49 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Looks like things are gonna get even uglier in your neighborhood Narco-state.

--------------------

InvisibleDebuteMachine

Re: Mexico’s President-Elect Signals “Internationalization” of Drug War [Re: dwpineal]
    #16653694 - 08/06/12 01:50 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

So this guy wants to start a war with international cartels? How is this a step in the right direction at all?

What a fucked up dude. I'll be watching to see if he gets elected.

OfflineShroomacabra
Slow Motion Time Traveler

Re: Mexico’s President-Elect Signals “Internationalization” of Drug War [Re: DebuteMachine]
    #16653967 - 08/06/12 02:35 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Damn, this new guy is just as clueless as his predecessors. Making something illegal will never make it go away, it just pushes it underground to make it that much harder to find and fight. Now he wants to get all the neighboring countries to focus on his country?  All that is going to do is enable proliferation of the drugs in the countries they are not focusing on.

This is like when they got rid of all the Adult ads on craiglist to try and combat forced and child prostitution. There were some Law agencies that started using it to bust pedos and pimps. But then some senators and DAs wanted to make a name for themselves and started to apply pressure until they forced Craigslist to censor (illegal under the constitution by the way) their Adult section. Does anyone here think that made Pimping, prostitution of child prostitution go away?

Invisible36fuckin5
Alchemycologist

Loc: Diving into Mystical Territori...
Re: Mexico’s President-Elect Signals “Internationalization” of Drug War [Re: DebuteMachine]
    #16653998 - 08/06/12 02:40 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Sweden looks better and better all the time.

--------------------
Redd Foxx said:
If you're offended I don't give a shit and don't come see me no more.

Pat The Bunny said:
A punk rock song won't ever change the world, but I can tell you about a couple that changed me.

bodhisatta said:
i recommend common sense and figuring it out.

These are the TEKs I use. They're all as cheap and easy as possible, just like your mom.

OfflineThe Vapor
Lost In A Tea Daze

Loc: Misty Mountains, B.C. Flag
Re: Mexico’s President-Elect Signals “Internationalization” of Drug War [Re: 36fuckin5]
    #16654373 - 08/06/12 03:36 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Yes because if it hasn't worked before, throwing more and more money and effort at it will totally solve the problem.

--------------------

InvisibleCounterCulturest
-Positive Mental Attitude-

Loc: Nesting on modems
Re: Mexico’s President-Elect Signals “Internationalization” of Drug War [Re: 36fuckin5]
    #16654678 - 08/06/12 04:10 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

36fuckin5 said:

Well fuck if that aint the gospel for me ^^^

I fucking feel you on that. Sometimes I get down and really ponder about getting my degree and kidnapping my sister and dipping out of here after my folks die. I'm really going to try. By the time I reach 35 I want to be somewhere that sounds better off. That is, if the big gov takeover doesn't happen before then...

Invisibledwpineal
Psychedelic Artist
 User Gallery

#16655240 - 08/06/12 05:34 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

DebuteMachine said:
I'll be watching to see if he gets elected.

I believe he already did - he kept this strategy secret until he was elected - I THINK.

I believe they were talking about using totally different law enforcement strategies, stopping the terror down there, but then I remember hearing about secret US Gov't communications saying that this was all just talk for the public, that the candidates they were supporting were planning on continuing the drug war - guess that was exactly what happened.

OfflineAbsent Minded
 User Gallery

Loc: Way Down South Flag
Re: Mexico’s President-Elect Signals “Internationalization” of Drug War [Re: The Vapor]
    #16655902 - 08/06/12 07:09 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

The Vapor said:
Yes because if it hasn't worked before, throwing more and more money and effort at it will totally solve the problem.

uh dude it totally does. everyone knows that.
go mexico. castrate these dirty thieves. show 'em who's boss.

--------------------

Beats
More Beats

sheekle: fuck peace love and unity
sheekle: death despair and misery
sheekle: is where it's at

OfflineJBurnt
Mad Scientist
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Mexico’s President-Elect Signals “Internationalization” of Drug War [Re: Absent Minded]
    #16656053 - 08/06/12 07:30 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

As if the world economy wasn't bad enough. Politicians talk like a man with a paper asshole :thumbdown:

--------------------

Invisiblebigmike7104
Stranger
 User Gallery
Loc: USA Flag
    #16656353 - 08/06/12 08:01 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

36fuckin5 said:

not sure if this still applies today, but a 2003 news article states

"Despite its liberal image, Sweden has some of the toughest drug policies in the world"
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/sweden-takes-lead-on-drug-laws-585710.html

also not sure when this article was published, but it's titled 5 countries where pot is almost legal
http://www.isnare.com/?aid=303158&ca=Humor

but things are changing world wide and i think eventually have some major changes in the u.s.

--------------------
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind
Withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must
Feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order