Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedrfrei
journeyman
'gay' rights
    #1664848 - 06/26/03 05:06 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

The court decision today, 6-3 in the favor of striking down 'sodomy' laws in texas and thriteen other states actually made me feel good about the supreme court, and it has been a long time since I have felt good about anything the government does.

The decision was more than gay rights; the decision was the right to live your life responsibly, and the ability to make private decisions without the interference of the government.

Already Trent Lott has spoken and said that this will lead to people THINKING THEY CAN CLAIM freedoms in other areas. (I heard this on my NPR station in close to his own words. That may not be a direct quote, but it is very close and the meaning is the same semantically). Anyone with any sense knows that this decision is going to directly affect the drug laws.

The argument I heard against it was that the constitution did not guarantee the right to privacy when it came to sodomy; what the decison did was say that morals (the only thing the sodomy law was based on) is not a strong enough reason to have something illegal, and that that privacy WAS constitutionally guaranteed.

And remember, the framers of our constitutiuon said that some freedoms are so self evident that they should be recognized by everyone, and that among those was the freedom to pursue one own's happiness.

To me, that describes any private bnehaviour that does not affect my neighbors (such as chemicals in ground water) or exhibit any predatory behaviour (robbing a bank, for instance). What else can the pursuit of happiness be?

The right wing politicians are already rallying against this decision, because it involves not only the drug war (the right to treat myself however I want to) but also is going to involve such things as abortion. They will do all they can to overturn this decision; if the right to privacy extends to two men doing as they wish in their own home, how does it not extend to growing an unprocessed plant!

Pressure at this joint place in time is crucial. If you have been convicted of a non predatory, completely natural drug offense you need to use a constitutional defense (I am referring to any drug that does not have to be processed, but can simply be dried and used). The thing is, those who have this decision to make, is that by CURRENT rules, you will almost certainly be found guilty. The point is to make this protest and then protest your prison sentence in whatever way you feel comfortable. A letter a day to politicians, a starvation diet, it does not matter. Pressure needs to be applied to this system, and a big enough stink raised to make the major media take their heads out of the sands and this is one of the only ways to do it.

Freedom is never ensured, and we must make our fate as best we can. Those who are willing to sacrifice, now is the time if not close. We are at a cusp in our country, and that cusp is fast approaching. If this decision is overturned, if we lose in other ways, then it will take longer years and more lives sacrificed than can be imagined to right the wrong's done to this country by the drug war and other intrusions on what should be a persons simple ability to choose how he lives.

Conservatives or liberals should always be concerned with the on going process of freedom. Our ancestors knew when they penned those words that it would lead to the destruction of slavery, and even they never imagined a plant being illegal. What is in office now is not conservatives OR liberals - they are the defyers of freedom, and in their own honorable way are the embodiment of evil. It is time to end the war of 'morals' when those morals affect only myself.

Scream for freedom, but always in non predatory, non violent protest. Scream for freedom, and reclaim at least a little of what we have lost. Deny those people the right to continue this evil, for in this country enough pressure can still make a difference. But that pressure must be predicated by people throwing themselves into the mouth of the beast. It is dangerous, and it could be deadly, but in this way we must raise the conciousness of those around us.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
Re: 'gay' rights [Re: drfrei]
    #1664891 - 06/26/03 05:23 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I hate reading gay articles... :nonono:

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #1665075 - 06/26/03 06:23 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I think it's a good decision. Two guys should be able to impale one another in the privacy of their own home if they want to.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Invisibledownforpot
Stranger
Male
Re: 'gay' rights [Re: Innvertigo]
    #1665243 - 06/26/03 07:25 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

How dare they let those homos fuck eachother up the ass?!?!?!?! Damn them, damn them to hell!!!!!! heh

--------------------

http://www.myspace.com/4th25

"And I don't care if he was handcuffed
Then shot in his head
All I know is dead bodies
Can't fuck with me again"

OfflineDailyPot
Trip'n Time

Loc: Florida
Re: 'gay' rights [Re: downforpot]
    #1665294 - 06/26/03 07:41 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Of course the government has no right to tell drug users or gays what they can and cannot do, as far as drug and gay acts go :rolleyes:

Atleast they took one out, but theres still more to go...

Offlinegrib
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Here and there
    #1665411 - 06/26/03 08:41 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Gay rights, women?s rights... aaaaand? As humans we must all be treated equally and our rights as humans must be respected. The SC had one thing right: what an adult does in his home is his business and that should not be infringed. Too bad that that logic is not universally held by our courts.

There are a few on the high court who will retire soon. If Mr. Shrub is re-elected the appointees, I fear, will be extreme and even more regressive than they are now. As it is the Miranda ruling of 1966 has been scaled back by the current court and the current court has a few pinkos.

--------------------
<~>Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake <~>

Offlinedrfrei
journeyman
Re: 'gay' rights [Re: grib]
    #1666933 - 06/27/03 11:29 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Thats the point; this is the first time that the supreme court has ruled that community morals is not a good enough reason to make a law for lifestyle choices that affects people in the privacy of their own home. This speaks directly to any nonviolent, non predatory lifestyle choice - if they have that freedom, set forward in that way for gay people, how can the same people seriously object to something as simple as a plant? They will object, for the next little while, but with that one single ruling they have destroyed their own system.

The government will do everything they can to reverse this (stacking the deck on the court) but the genie is out of the bottle. No politician in his right mind is going to say what has been so obvious, that it is ludicrous that the government can try to enforce lifestyle decisions through laws.

No politician is going to say out loud that gay people should go to jail for something they do in the privacy of their own home, and they are aware that this will spill over into all other areas of moral based laws.

The conservatives know this, and Justice Scalia recognized this, even going so far as to mention prostitution and the drug war in his rebuttal (He was one of the ones that voted against it). He implied strongly that trhe decision would carry into other areas, and he is right, for how could it not?

This is a cusp, and we can do what we can to put pressure on politicians. Let Freedom Reign!

Anonymous

#1666956 - 06/27/03 11:36 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Oh no! The people are getting too much freedom! We have to stop it as soon as possible. We have to protect the people from themselves. Roger, lets increase the number of anti-marijuana commercials to once every ten minutes. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Now I am calm again.

Offlinedrfrei
journeyman
Re: 'gay' rights [Re: ]
    #1666998 - 06/27/03 11:51 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

lol :razz:

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
    #1667817 - 06/27/03 08:19 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I was happy to hear about this decision (even though I am one of those evil right wing Christians). I do hate the term "gay rights" though. I prefer just "rights" or "human rights". If we don't violate someone elses rights there should be no problem.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #1670366 - 06/28/03 11:54 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I smiled when I heard this news. For once, I said to myself, "Ya know...maybe things aren't so bad afterall.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Cannabis Seeds

General Interest >> Political Discussion