Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Hygrometer, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinesvshroomhead
Pill Popper
Male User Gallery
almost ready!!
    #1663683 - 06/26/03 05:57 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

hey all! my grandson recently decided to start his first grow, and he's aquired some of the neccesary supplies, but before he gets started he has some questions he wanted me to relay to you guys -

1. he bought clear rubbermaid tubs from walmart, should he cover the sides with black tape/cover with a blanket when he is *incubating* or does it only matter with fruiting?

2. he plans to double stack the tubs, and use a fishtank heater and water in between to keep the temps at a steady 84 degrees F. when incubating. is this an acceptable method?

3. after incubation, would it be possible to use the actual tub to fruit in? I.E. crumble the cakes (whole yellow corn btw) and put them into the rubbermaid tub and case? (proper sterile technique of course).

3b. and if so....how would you reccomend incubation? this question also applies to straw/dung spawn, how would you incubate after mixing the corn with the straw/dung?
i would guess that there would be too much heat involved to just use the same double stack method...maybe Co2 problems?

anyways, he thanks you guys much in advance for your help....he realizes these are simple questions and is sorry for bein a NEWB!

peace

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
Re: almost ready!! [Re: svshroomhead]
    #1663713 - 06/26/03 06:22 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

1. It's good to incubate in darkness.
2. If you mean like this ( http://www.fungifun.org/pf/incubator.htm ), than it's OK.
3. For incubating straw/dung & fruiting he'd have to provide more humidity, light & air-exchange. There should be no problem with heat if he's using adjustable fishtank heater.

Offlinepeetee32
    #1663806 - 06/26/03 07:24 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

svshroomhead said:
2. he plans to double stack the tubs, and use a fishtank heater and water in between to keep the temps at a steady 84 degrees F. when incubating. is this an acceptable method?

i know someone who started with this method, and it was messy, a pain in the ass to fill, etc, and the water got stinky after a while. he switched to the heater inside a used plastic milk carton filled with water/bleach with jars stacked all around it inside of a small plastic trash can wrapped with a towel and was very satsified.

OfflineSafeHaven

Re: almost ready!! [Re: peetee32]
    #1664003 - 06/26/03 10:30 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

My Pet rocks friend Stoner, he used for long while a styrofoam container with fish tank heater in a cup of water. After many months its conclusion is that the setup is a poor one, as the moisture build up on the bottom of the container yields a increase in molds and such.

Stoner told me he purchased two rubbermaid type containers and a submersible heater. The inside of container is dry and is not as inclined to help growth of molds and such.

SAY NO TO CONTAINER WITH FISH TANK HEATER INSIDE A CUP OF WATER.

--------------------
As I sit here I ponder greater things.

OfflineEdge
I like plants

Loc: Machu Pichu
Re: almost ready!! [Re: SafeHaven]
    #1664020 - 06/26/03 10:41 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

just add bleach to the water, or h. perox. that would prevent/help prevent molding righT?

--------------------
Check Out My "A Report w/ pics and links--FAE, RH, Casings, Cakes, Polyfil, And A Simple Setup And More!"

"For every action there is a reaction; and a Paykie reaction, is quite a fuckin thing"
--Turkish of Snatch

OfflineSafeHaven

Re: almost ready!! [Re: Edge]
    #1664207 - 06/26/03 12:36 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I guess the key is help prevent, but I used pretty sterile techniques though not fool proof and several jars had mold starting on the tyvek on the inside, though none on the mycelium.

I would not recommend it , and my system will not be used anymore in that way. Just to much of a chance to get contam when the environment is suitable for it.

I am speaking for my Pet rock friend , Stone, as in I.

--------------------
As I sit here I ponder greater things.

Offlinesvshroomhead
Pill Popper
Male User Gallery
    #1664723 - 06/26/03 04:22 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

alright, well...i've decided the double rubbermaid incubator suits my needs. when it comes to birthing the jars and making casings....

i think im going to buy cake pans, the aluminum scrunchy ones. that seems the most cost efficient method, and there arent any drawbacks i can see.
and i think im going to use straw/dung. i live by 3 or 4 dairy farms, so getting the supply shouldnt be a problem :smile:

basically, mix the colonized corn with pasteurized straw and/or dung, maybe layer it - in the cake pans, case 50/50+,  possibly poke some holes in the bottom for co2 exchange...and jus put the sumbitches IN my rubbermaid incubator....keep it at 80-84 just for a bit, dark...then drop it down to fruiting temps and introduce light, mist, fan....how does it sound guys? good method for a newbie?
i live in a pretty humid place...but its not TOO warm, also...i was thinking of investing in an ultrasonic humidifier, but i figured i could swing it with lots of attention(misting) and a hygrometer?

SO EXCITED!

thanks again for all your responses + help!

peace

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Hygrometer, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation