Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Hygrometer

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleLucidDream
Hungry BlueFiend
 User Gallery

Loc: Planet of the Stupid Peop...
Dewpoint in a terrarium?
    #1659515 - 06/24/03 09:31 PM (14 years, 5 days ago)

Am I right in thinking that as the RH rises in a terrarium, the mist from an ultrasonic becomes invisible? I can always see it clearly when I first turn in on, but after a while, it seems to disappear even though the unit is working fine. It's the dewpoint or something, right? I don't have a hygrometer yet, so I'm straining to discern how wet my terrarium is, and it doesn't seem that wet. Temp is about 76, damn the heat.

--------------------
Sarcasm just one of my many talents.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineshellacct
addict

Loc: BAD DOG!
Re: Dewpoint in a terrarium? [Re: LucidDream]
    #1661081 - 06/25/03 01:00 PM (14 years, 5 days ago)

As temperature rises, the ability of air to hold moisture also increases... meaning that the relative humidity will drop if even more moisture isn't added... another way to look at it is like this.... at 40 degrees F, if the relative humidity is 100%, there isn't even close to the same amount of moisture in the air if the temperature is 90 degrees F and the RH is 80%. You can actually calculate the exact amount of moisture in the air from the RH and a whole bunch of other stuff which I'm sure nobody really wants to do. Whatever amount of moisture you were pumping in at 60 degrees to keep the RH at say 90% will be different from the amount you will need for the same RH at 76 degrees. In plain English, the problem is, lets say you're ultrasonic has a gauge that goes from 1 to 10. 10 (TEN) being the highest amount of moisture the ultrasonic will pump out and 1 (one) being the lowest. And lets say that all things constant, the temperature is 60 degrees and you put the ultrasonic at 3 and it holds 90% humidity perfectly. Now suddenly same conditions except the temperature is now 90 degrees. The air can now hold more moisture so you are gonna need to turn the ultrasonic up to say 5 to get back to 90% RH. The figures i am using for the settings of the ultrasonic are totally made up, you'll need to mess around to get it just right. If you don't have a hygrometer, there is a way to tell the temp anyway but its somewhat complicated and long to write out so i'll hold off on taht expalnation for now.

--------------------
"Trying is the first step towards failure" -Homer J. Simpson

In the above, Any and all references to reality are entirely fictional.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Hygrometer

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation