Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, HEPA Filter

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinejonas

Building a Glovebox?
    #1658685 - 06/24/03 04:13 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

So I was talking to my pet Michael Jackson today ... and he wanted to know how to build a nice glovebox. Hes been looking in the FAQs and searching the site and still hasnt found a good guide. He did find one guide, but it was really expensive and confusing to put together. He whipped this up today, and was wondering if you could make some comments on it, its a rough guess of what the glovebox should consist of, based on his limited knowledge.

In the picture, basically what the setup is, there is a filter on the left and a fan on the right. The fan would be positioned as to blow air out of the box, thus creating a vacuum (sp?), which would pull air through the filter. That would result in sterile air within the box. I'm not sure what size fan or filters I should be using but any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Okay, disregard the picture part, I just found out I cant attach a pic. But the description of the pic should be enough to make a guess at how well this design is thought out. My pet michael jackson thanks you  :grin: 

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Building a Glovebox? [Re: jonas]
    #1659566 - 06/24/03 09:59 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

>The fan would be positioned as to blow air out of the box, thus
>creating a vacuum (sp?), which would pull air through the filter. That
>would result in sterile air within the box.

How would this create sterile air inside the box if you are blowing air though a filter to the outside of the box?

Offlinejonas

Re: Building a Glovebox? [Re: Anno]
    #1659587 - 06/24/03 10:06 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Because the fan would create a vacuum, and expell the contaminated air from the box while sucking air in through the only other opening, which has a filter placed over it. The air would have to pass through the filter to come into the box, and thus would be sterile.

I dont know what I'm talking about exactly, I'm just saying what makes sense to me. Thats why I made this post ... I need to learn about making a glovebox.

Also ... the filter is not placed over the fan. The filter is on the opposite side of the box. So imagine cutting a hole in each end of the box. One has a fan placed in it, the other has a filter placed in it. Thats what I meant. I wonder if putting a filter on the inside part of the box next to the fan would be a good idea too, to prevent any possible kickback from the fan, such as settled dusted falling into the box when the fan is started up. Just let me know if I'm not being clear enough, because like I said, this makes sense to ME, but maybe not to everyone.

Edited by jonas (06/24/03 10:09 PM)

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1659602 - 06/24/03 10:12 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

>Also ... the filter is not placed over the fan. The filter is on the opposite side of the box.

Ok, this would work, in theory. The problem would be that you?d need to seal each and every crack for the air to not be sucked in the box but where the filter is.

That?s why the more common and easier to accomplish setup is to blow sterile air INTO the box by a blower.

Offlinemesq
Psychonaut
 User Gallery

#1659609 - 06/24/03 10:15 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

My glovebox is made out of a styrofoam broccoli box... took 10 minutes to make and I have not had any contaminations. Inoculating jars, liquid mycelium, agar wedge transfers have all been achieved with not contams using my $3 box :laugh: 

Offlinejonas

Re: Building a Glovebox? [Re: mesq]
    #1659624 - 06/24/03 10:19 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Well could somebody post a good link for making a glovebox? It seems like everybody knows how to make one, but I cant seem to find ONE good link! lol. Thanks.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1659695 - 06/24/03 10:41 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Offlinejonas

Re: Building a Glovebox? [Re: Anno]
    #1659707 - 06/24/03 10:49 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Its not fool proof on contams, but I suppose its better than what I'm working with right now, nothing!

I'll have to build one from my proposed designs and let you know how it works out.

Offlinejonas

#1659708 - 06/24/03 10:50 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

oh, btw ... thanks anno :smile:

Offlinehyper_dermic
stranger withcandy

Loc: the land of excess
    #1662843 - 06/26/03 03:46 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

heres an EASY glovebox to make. its the glovebox i am currently using. untill this week i havnt had ANY contams..... (and i think the contam i got this week was caused by a falulty syringe from a dealer.. grrr)

basically get a rubbermaid (do yourself a favor, shop around and find a totally clear one, not a colored one... mine has a blue tint and is a BITCH to see through...

cut some holes in the side for your arms... i use a hotknife for this step, but a soldering iron or a woodburner or anything that gets hot and has an edge should work... shit u could use a candle and a knife if u are really ghetto.

attach some diswashing gloves to the holes... i shoved some PVC into the holes and wrapped the edge of the gloves around the PVC and taped those fuckers down with duct tape...

heres a little tip about arm holes/PVC size... make them BIG, if the holes are too small they will dig into your wrists and make it hard to manuver in the box..

thats it, your done...
lysol the fuck out of the box, and EVERYTHING that goes into it...
wipe your needles with an alcohol swab if u must, but whatever you do , dont try to flame sterlize it....

this box is ghetto and it works.... no need for fans or expensive hepa filters, shit you dont even need half a brain to make this....

[hyp]

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, HEPA Filter

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation