Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineLepkaun
Super Stooper
Male User Gallery

Loc: Close and Far Flag
Re: Psilocybe Caerulipes 2012 [Re: D_T.eonanacatl]
    #16757764 - 08/30/12 01:01 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Awesome pics Roy!:like: That mold on the gills is interesting.

--------------------

Leppy say's::strokebeard:Seek and you will find!Ask and they will guide you!Listen and be taught!!:leaving:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRoy
Stranger

Loc: Eastern USA
Re: Psilocybe Caerulipes 2012 [Re: Lepkaun]
    #16758525 - 08/30/12 07:21 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks guys! I find the mold interesting too. I know nothing about molds and I dont know if it is specific towards psilocybes or just a typical mushroom mold. But it def starts on the gills and seemed to rot the caps while the stems would still be intact and mold free... also was not in every area, just specific patches. Is def weird and wouldnt want to eat one with the mold on it.

Invisiblemaynardjameskeenan
The white stipes
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 'Merica
Trusted Identifier
Re: Psilocybe Caerulipes 2012 [Re: Roy]
    #16760297 - 08/30/12 02:37 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

:congrats: Amazing pictures! :awedance:

--------------------
May you be filled with loving kindness.
May you be well.
May you be peaceful and at ease.
May you be happy.

AMU Q&A

OfflineNoBeginningNoEnd

#16762068 - 08/30/12 07:35 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Roy and DT, you give me great hope!  It's great to hear that these little magic guys are not rare as was previously believed.  Looks like the wikipedia page needs updating.  Nice pics as always  :thumbup:  It's interesting that they are so prolific considering you haven't had rain for the past week.  Here it's still super dry.

Offlineacapuchinu
visionary student
 User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere
Re: Psilocybe Caerulipes 2012 [Re: NoBeginningNoEnd]
    #16762360 - 08/30/12 08:18 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

wow those are beautes!

--------------------
TERENCE MCKENNA IS THE BOSS!

Awesome Trippy Vid!

My Salvia Trip Report

All posts on this account are completely fictional.

OfflineWeilii Nelson
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Psilocybe Caerulipes 2012 [Re: acapuchinu]
    #16762944 - 08/30/12 09:36 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Im going up to extreme North Ga to get some hemlock reishi (G. Tsugae) and chants (which have been EXPLODING up there) this weekend. Maybe with a little bit of luck I will run into some Caerulipes. Anyone know if they have been found up in n. ga yet? according to wiki they have not...

OfflineRoy
Stranger

Re: Psilocybe Caerulipes 2012 [Re: Weilii Nelson]
    #16764479 - 08/31/12 07:48 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

The areas I search get very little sunlight due to the hemlocks, so even if it doesnt rain for a week the ground is still moist. And the decaying beech and birch wood never dries out, even in times of drought, so the caerulipes can and do still fruit. Just have to find that prime habitat.

I dont see why they wouldnt be able to be found in the Ga mountains.  The areas I search here are also loaded with reshi and chants, so just find yourself some decaying beech trees and I would think you have a good chance.

Invisiblegman
Male User Gallery

Loc: NY/NJ
    #16767177 - 08/31/12 05:37 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

"Rare they are not and very abundant at least here."
Roy,
I think you have to give yorself a bit more credit. The fact that you are "tuned in" allows you to see the abundance. Last week I "took a ride" to a lake that you mentioned some time ago - I spent a lot of time looking but didn't see one of these babies.
G

OfflineRoy
Stranger

Re: Psilocybe Caerulipes 2012 [Re: gman]
    #16767569 - 08/31/12 06:50 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Haha thanks. They where there, I am sure of that. But its true once you know what to look for it gets easier to find them.

Invisiblegman
Male User Gallery

Loc: NY/NJ
    #16768474 - 08/31/12 10:17 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah- all too true but it's all good. Hunting ovoids was quite a change of pace from grifola and the like and though it's hard to imagine I'm thinking that compared with ovoids it may take an order of magnitude more focus to find the elusive bluefoots - either that or I was also short on time and distracted by the plethora of other fungi in your hunting grounds. However, now r that I know I was actually in the right place at the right time tells me a lot about what I need to do. It seems like searching the beech/birch a little SE of you in NJ and W in NY might be worthile but I'll head NW again if I don't come up with any significant first time finds in the next week or so b/c I'm going away for the middle of the month.

Even if no Caerulipes this year, I hope to be properly inroduced to Galerina et.al. I must have seen them hundreds of timesnd probably picked and possibly even printed some but my best visual  ID would be calling them "an LBM that I don't know by name".

Again, thank you and others for the insight and these are a few phone pics of the distractions I mentioned to add a little color to this post..Gomphus, Northern Tooth and Red Chants
G

OfflineRoy
Stranger

Re: Psilocybe Caerulipes 2012 [Re: gman]
    #16769855 - 09/01/12 05:12 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Yea I used to be the same way with chants, walking fast until I spot yellow.  Not realizing you pass by thousands of small mushrooms, which is probably what has made caerulipes seemingly rare.  But if you slow down and keep your eyes forced to the ground, you will be suprised at the amount of tiny "lbms" there are. Im conviced that there are more psilocybes here in the north east that have yet to be IDed.  Here are a couple unknowns that I have found, that all have purple spores, they are even smaller than caerulipes. Could be psilocybe could be hypholoma, could be deconica who knows.

PS - there is a large river we have here with many a tributaries, some call it the Deleware, that Im sure from Hancock NY to Stroudsburg PA caerulipes could easily be found. Just due to the similar habitat and flora of its tributaries

OfflineD_T.eonanacatl
Germinating
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast
    #16773642 - 09/01/12 09:38 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I'm sorry to report that this will be my last chance to share bluefoot photos with you guys for this season. Caerulipes have already stopped fruiting in my habitats and the nightly lows just keep getting lower every week. There are already a few trees loosing green from the leaves and turning yellow, so fall is on its way.

Here is the rest of my collection from the woodchip patch I posted a few pages back.

The first two days this patch appeared it was extremely rainy and they were very fast growing and relatively large. Some still had a small ring around the stem and most of the white spots were washed off of the tops. Bruising on the wet fruits was quick and would change from a blue into a dark navy color, almost turning black as they would dry out.

The remaining pins and fruits that grew later in the week closer resembled a textbook caerulipes with smaller size and apparent white spots.

Here is a slug enjoying the caerulipes mycellium:

And here is a cluster that I photographed 16 hours apart to show the growth:

The woodchips are a beech and birch mix that had been decomposing for a several years with some fresh chips added each year. There was also a fire pit located about 4 feet uphill that may have added some extra nutrients into the mulch during heavy rains to make this patch so robust. I tried to transfer and save some of the genetics, hoping to keep a strain that is strong and likes woodchips. I will have to wait until next August to see if there are any results.

The white stipes
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
    #16773733 - 09/01/12 09:57 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

beautiful mushrooms. I didn't realize Caerulipes had an annulus.

--------------------
May you be well.
May you be happy.

AMU Q&A

OfflineRoy
Stranger

#16775077 - 09/02/12 05:55 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Nice ones DT!  Those are very interesting. I would like to see them scoped.  I have never seen Caerulipes with that pronounced of an annulus and thick stems and that large. But everything else does look like them.  Maybe its a cross-bread or a different variation or even something else.

Are your sure it was beech - birch woodchips?  And it was obviously a man made chip pile?  Annulus, size, strong blueing and habitat, scream ovoids. But everything else looks like Caerulipes. Very cool

The white stipes
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
    #16776890 - 09/02/12 02:35 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Roy said:
Nice ones DT!  Those are very interesting. I would like to see them scoped.  I have never seen Caerulipes with that pronounced of an annulus and thick stems and that large. But everything else does look like them.  Maybe its a cross-bread or a different variation or even something else.

Are your sure it was beech - birch woodchips?  And it was obviously a man made chip pile?  Annulus, size, strong blueing and habitat, scream ovoids. But everything else looks like Caerulipes. Very cool

Yeah they do look like cross between Caerulipes and ovoideocystidiata... I think they both grow in the same states. That's really neat whatever they are, for sure send one to someone with a microscope. Cool find! :congrats:

--------------------
May you be well.
May you be happy.

AMU Q&A

OfflineNoBeginningNoEnd

#16777651 - 09/02/12 05:26 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Amazing pics DT, thanks for sharing!  I agree, it looks like a bridge species between caerulipes and ovoids, very cool.  Or perhaps it's due to the woodchips/firepit as you mentioned. 

Try spraying some Beech logs of the proper state of decomposition with the spores of these woodchip mushrooms and see if they look different.

InvisibleinskiM
Cortinariologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Psilocybe Caerulipes 2012 [Re: NoBeginningNoEnd]
    #16777901 - 09/02/12 06:15 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Psilocybe stuntzii is likely!

--------------------

InvisibleBobzimmer
Crawlin' Kingsnake
 User Gallery

Loc: NY
Trusted Identifier
Re: Psilocybe Caerulipes 2012 [Re: inski]
    #16778203 - 09/02/12 07:08 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

inski said:
Psilocybe stuntzii is likely!

It doesn't seem likely considering the location and the dark almost black bruising reported. Some of these are obvious caerulipes. I've collected them with an annular zone before but not a full membranous annulus. Very wet weather can change the way some mushrooms develop and/or look. I wonder if that's the case here.

--------------------
Mr. Mushrooms said:
I will confess something that should be quite obvious, CC.  I love mushrooms, i.e. fungi.  I really do.  I am talking about a strong feeling, i.e. emotion, for them.  I think they are beautiful.  I even dream of them.

OfflineRoy
Stranger

Re: Psilocybe Caerulipes 2012 [Re: Bobzimmer]
    #16778233 - 09/02/12 07:15 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Indeed this is true, but would it change it that much? Ive found them in drought and hurricane but never saw a stem that large or annulus that pronounced.  I have seen them vary quite a bit and some patches are extremely different from others. I wonder if there is just different variations that evolved just slightly apart from eachother, yet are generally the same mushroom and will be found along side eachother.

InvisibleBobzimmer
Crawlin' Kingsnake
 User Gallery

Loc: NY
Trusted Identifier
    #16778276 - 09/02/12 07:27 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Good question. Would it change that much? I don't know. I know humidity can dictate whether some Amanita have an annulus or it ends up a tatters on the cap margin. Is caerulipes capable of producing a membranous annulus or is it too ethereal in nature? The fact that there weren't veil remnants on the cap may be from being washed off, but also may be because the material ended up as an annulus on the stipe. Just theorizing...I have no clue.

--------------------
Mr. Mushrooms said:
I will confess something that should be quite obvious, CC.  I love mushrooms, i.e. fungi.  I really do.  I am talking about a strong feeling, i.e. emotion, for them.  I think they are beautiful.  I even dream of them.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder