Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Microscope, Mycobags, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineEdge
I like plants

Loc: Machu Pichu
sorry, need some help involving cold shocking
    #1655708 - 06/23/03 09:31 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Vash the Stampede has a few cakes fully colonized, 1/2 pinters... followed pf tek. they are still in their jars and in indirect light. They've been there for about a week now. Vash is going to try cold shocking because from his knowledge the induces pinning and what not. The problems is Vash doesnt know exactly how to cold shock if there even is a techniuqe to it. Can somebody help him through this process please?

--------------------
Check Out My "A Report w/ pics and links--FAE, RH, Casings, Cakes, Polyfil, And A Simple Setup And More!"

"For every action there is a reaction; and a Paykie reaction, is quite a fuckin thing"
--Turkish of Snatch

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinekukusz
Owner of belowhot monkey!

Loc: East Coast
Re: sorry, need some help involving cold shocking [Re: Edge]
    #1655752 - 06/23/03 09:59 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

For BRF cakes you do something called dunking - just pour some filtered or bottled water into your jars so that your cakes are submerged as much as possible, then stick the jars (with lids on again) in the fridge for 12 hours or so. After each flush do it again. This serves two purposes, cold shocking to initiate pinning and re-hydrating the cake. Good luck.

--------------------
All of my posts are for discussion purposes only. All posts concerning cultivation of mushrooms refer to legal gourmet mushrooms only. Yes, I support monkey-human relationships.

Edited by kukusz (06/23/03 10:00 AM)

Offlinechineseguy
Stranger

Loc: Chongqing, China
Re: sorry, need some help involving cold shocking [Re: kukusz]
    #1655781 - 06/23/03 02:30 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

based on experience, i can say that, unless your fridge is tweeker clean, you are putting your cakes at risk of contamination by putting them in the fridge- it is one of the most contamination infested places in the average household.

InvisibleAinasko
Oksania
Re: sorry, need some help involving cold shocking [Re: chineseguy]
    #1655788 - 06/23/03 02:36 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Often, psilocybe cubensis does not need a drop in temperature to pin. Just the light to show it the way.

Try to induce pinning before you cold shock unless they are dry and need a good soaking.

If you have healthy mycelium, cold shocking will not be necessary.

--------------------
Ainasko is my name backwards. I'm a girl!

InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #1655792 - 06/23/03 02:36 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Another cold shock method is to place the colonised cakes in your terrarium following standard procedure, and then freeze something in your freezer (Bottled water, anything made of metal... make sure it won't melt) and then bung it into your terraium along with your cakes.

OfflineEdge
I like plants

Re: sorry, need some help involving cold shocking [Re: OJK]
    #1656200 - 06/23/03 05:28 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

its been roughly a week. they've been exposed to indirect light during day and occasionally blue light at night time (blue christmas lights as illumination in room....) the cakes are looking shittier and shittier in vash's opinion. well, not shitty, but somewhat of a yellow in some places. he guesses its from moisture on the jar sides. i wish my webcam worked...

thanks everyone.

--------------------
Check Out My "A Report w/ pics and links--FAE, RH, Casings, Cakes, Polyfil, And A Simple Setup And More!"

"For every action there is a reaction; and a Paykie reaction, is quite a fuckin thing"
--Turkish of Snatch

OfflineEdge
I like plants

#1656212 - 06/23/03 05:33 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

oh, and chineseguy, the cakes would be in the jars full of water, lids on. how could contams get in there if the cake is fully colonized and not directly in contact with the insides of the fridge? unless the water vash puts in the jar has contams, which is probably a high possibliity... but if its bottled water its filtered and whatnot... unless you were refering to the cakes being in the fridge not inside jars? vash's such an over paranoid little weiner newbie.

--------------------

--Turkish of Snatch

Offlineeve69
--=..Did Adam and ...?=--
Male User Gallery

Loc: isle de la muerte
    #1656252 - 06/23/03 05:49 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Do you dump the water out again after taking the cakes out of the fridge? Or it would naturally just run out if cakes were birthed into the terrarium, right?

--------------------
...or something

Offlinechineseguy
Stranger

#1656254 - 06/23/03 05:52 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Edge said:
oh, and chineseguy, the cakes would be in the jars full of water, lids on. how could contams get in there if the cake is fully colonized and not directly in contact with the insides of the fridge? unless the water vash puts in the jar has contams, which is probably a high possibliity... but if its bottled water its filtered and whatnot... unless you were refering to the cakes being in the fridge not inside jars? vash's such an over paranoid little weiner newbie.

if you do everything right, chances are you will not get contamination. however, your talking about microscopic spores that can get anywhere and everywhere-- it doesn't take much.

one of the biggest misconceptions in mushroom cultivation is that a colonized cake cannot become contaminated. this is dead wrong- a fully colonized cake is MUCH more resistant to infection than moist and clean nutrients, but believe me, colonized cakes can and do become contaminated easily once a cake is exhausted-- the mycelium cannot defend itself and it itself becomes nutrients for other contamination like vultures feeding off a wounded animal.

OfflineEdge
I like plants

#1656305 - 06/23/03 06:13 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

ooohhh. thanks for the explanation CG. some shrooms headed your way....

and eve69, i imagine the excess water would be dumped out of the jars when you birth em... not really anywhere it could go and be useful afterwards.

--------------------

--Turkish of Snatch

Offlineeve69
--=..Did Adam and ...?=--
Male User Gallery

Loc: isle de la muerte
    #1656444 - 06/23/03 07:22 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

If someone had their shrooms in a fully colonized Mycobag would it be best to just let them do their thing like that, or to cut the bag off and place in into an aquarium?

--------------------
...or something

Offlineneutralizer
Spiritual beinghaving a Humanexperience
Loc: This Planet Earth
Re: sorry, need some help involving cold shocking [Re: eve69]
    #1656454 - 06/23/03 07:26 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Why do some people recommend leaving the cakes in the jars while dunking, and some people recommend taking them out and putting them in a different container for the dunk?

What are the pros/cons of each?

--------------------
There are things known, and there are things unknown, and in between are the doors - Morrison

Offlinechineseguy
Stranger

Re: sorry, need some help involving cold shocking [Re: neutralizer]
    #1656808 - 06/23/03 09:55 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

neutralizer said:
Why do some people recommend leaving the cakes in the jars while dunking, and some people recommend taking them out and putting them in a different container for the dunk?

What are the pros/cons of each?

dunking them together:
-pro: alot less work
-con: if one of the cakes is contaminated, theres a chance other cakes will become infected after dunking togther

dunking seperate:
-pro: you keep potential contaminates isolated from other cakes
-con: alot more work to tend to each cake individually.

its better to dunk them individually if there are signs of contamination in the fruiting chamber or on the cakes. small sandwich-size ziplock bags work well- its ok to put 2 healthy cakes in 1 bag.

however, if all is well, you generally wont have problems dunking all the cakes togther if you use water:perox, 20:1.

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #1656831 - 06/23/03 10:09 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Dunk the cakes in the jars. People are saying that it?s more work. Taking out the top verm layer and putting water in is not more work. Why have the cakes banging against each other in some pitcher, bag or whatever. Put them in the fridge and give them a cold shock for 12 hours. I say 12 cause that is whats popular here. Myself I?ve never done under 24.
When they are done pour out the water and turn the jar upside down in the chamber and you hands have never touched the cake. That?s just my 2 cents.  :grin:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineEdge
I like plants

Re: sorry, need some help involving cold shocking [Re: Magash]
    #1657055 - 06/23/03 11:25 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

you are one amazing former grower of pot and shrooms magash. i've seen pics around, good job. vash wants to be like that someday. he's got a good feel for weed, but shrooms are slowly getting there. thanks.

--------------------

--Turkish of Snatch

Anonymous

#1657232 - 06/24/03 12:27 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Kill two birds with one stone, case them.....
Prepare a 60/40 casing material. Let that bitch freeze in your........freezer. It will have ice shards poking out. Mist the Semi forzen casing material then case the cakes. Dunk and cold shock them at the same time.... Takes practice, but, worked for a dawg or two.......

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #1657326 - 06/24/03 01:15 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

If you can grow weed your gonna have no problem with shrooms.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
pan cyans - need for cold shocking? [Re: Magash]
    #1657575 - 06/24/03 03:18 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

sorry to hijack this thread, but the title was perfect:

can someone please tell me - do pan cyans need a cold shock, and if so, when? plan is to get wbs to 100%, spawn into pasteurised straw/poo, case, then (*) birth. i'm guessing that the cold shock, if needed, would go *here.

:confused: 

--------------------
buh

OfflineRichard_D_James
enthusiast
Re: pan cyans - need for cold shocking? [Re: shirley knott]
    #1657597 - 06/24/03 03:28 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Shirley,

In my, and many other opinions, a cold shock for Pan Cyan is definently NOT required.

One of the 'pro' growers who shall remain nameless, once told me that he thought Pan Cyans were easier to fruit that Ps. Cubensis.

Edit: now that I think about it, I think cold shocking pans is a BAD IDEA, because pan cyan mycelium is very weak. I think if you cold shocked it in a refridgerator, you'd be almost guaranteed contams.

Edited by Richard_D_James (06/24/03 03:31 AM)

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
Re: pan cyans - need for cold shocking? [Re: Richard_D_James]
    #1657607 - 06/24/03 03:31 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

thank you, kind sir.

--------------------
buh

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Microscope, Mycobags, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation