Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineaadoublea
Sphincteriffic

Casing Layer Always Gets Trich....Pic inside....WHY??
    #9926037 - 03/06/09 10:55 PM (15 years, 16 days ago)

Hello All,

Well first off, the substrate is cracked corn, rye, and rye spawned to hpoo.  I have no problems at all colonizing jars of rye and cc.  I am able to spawn rye to hpoo and have that colonize 100% with no problems. 

I can even fruit an un-colonized substrate with no contam problems. 

As soon as I add my casing layer of verm/peat mixed 50/50 it always contaminates after being in the fc for about a week. I have sterilized for an hour and also pasteurized for roughly 2 hours at 170 in a crock pot.  No matter what I do past or sterilize I still seem to get contams on the casing layer.  The contam is always trich too.

I fan my fc a minimum of 4 times a day if not more.  I used moist perlite with h202 added to the water, their is no standing water in the perlite either.

Whenever I do any type of work I mist the shit out of the very very small room with lysol as well as bleach water.  The walls are painted and the floor is linoleum.

What I notice is the trichoderma always attacks the uncolonized parts of the casing layer which makes me what to colonize all of the casing layer and have the casing layer completely white with mycelium but of course that would be overlay and thats not good either!AHHHHH

I do mist my casings(indirectly) and notice that the trich seems so set in after I mist which makes me think that the misting has something do do with it as well.  But I thought you were supposed to mist??? I mist like every other day and the trich problems still seem to arise. 

Since the trich is only on the casing layer I have been scratching the infected area with gloved fingers and then tipping the casing upside down to let the loose contamed casing fall off.  Then I add table salt where the infected area was but it usually comes back.  I can definetly tell this is slowing the trich down but its not a 100% cure by any means.

I have heard of using garden hydrated lime in the casing mixture to buffer the ph or get it into the range of about 7.5 and that is the next thing I am going to try.

What do you think is causing this trich outbreak on my casing layer??
I want to find a way to stop the trich from outbreaking in the first place.  Please help me out o wise ones. 

Thanks,
Aadoublea

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCiv
Pinning
Male User Gallery

Loc: California
Re: Casing Layer Always Gets Trich....Pic inside....WHY?? [Re: aadoublea]
    #9926147 - 03/06/09 11:26 PM (15 years, 16 days ago)

Stop sterilizing your caseing layer- its not substrate.  Your leaving it open to contams that way.

Pastureize is the best bet, if even that.

--------------------
"...Gal's seem to hate the thought of blending chicken shit in a blender.
So, wash it well afterwards & DON'T tell them..."  -Agar

Offlinemeltphace
Stranger
Male

Re: Casing Layer Always Gets Trich....Pic inside....WHY?? [Re: aadoublea]
    #9935825 - 03/08/09 08:27 PM (15 years, 14 days ago)

170 is a little high for pasteurization. 140-160 is recommended for 1 hour to 1 and a half hours. Anything over an hour and a half is counter productive.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Casing Layer Always Gets Trich....Pic inside....WHY?? [Re: meltphace]
    #9937755 - 03/09/09 01:24 AM (15 years, 14 days ago)

You didn't mention lime.  If you're using peat/verm with no lime or gypsum, you're giving a perfect environment for mold spore germination.

However, 9 times out of 10 if a casing layer contaminates before first flush, the contamination came from below in the substrate.  I suspect the cracked corn.  Switch to plain rye berries and it might make the problem go away.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinegsxrchxr
Stranger
Re: Casing Layer Always Gets Trich....Pic inside....WHY?? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #16555127 - 07/19/12 03:41 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

RR, I have the same situation except I did use gypsum on rye only. I have tried sterilized water even and the trich only comes after misting. I did pasteurize the casing tho.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate