Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJCNYC
Stranger
 User Gallery
Is this yeast contamination?
    #16543755 - 07/17/12 09:28 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Hello everyone, I am having trouble with what I think is a yeast contam on my grain spawn (pleurotus ostreatus). I am working in front of a flow hood and following all the sterile procedures suggested by trusted cultivators on these forums and other books.

The first image is an earlier batch that I set aside because it looked contaminated. The second image is a new jar  made from what I thought was a contam-free agar plate (I did a couple of transfers on MYPA). I have simultaneously been working with other species and not encountered this problem.

Am i misdiagnosing this problem? Is this not yeast contam?

Thanks for the help!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTheEaglesGift
The Nagual

Loc: Ixtlan, Mexico
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is this yeast contamination? [Re: JCNYC]
    #16544526 - 07/17/12 12:55 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

The first photo certainly looks like yeast. I'm not sure about the second photo.

What species of mushrooms is this?

OfflineJCNYC
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Is this yeast contamination? [Re: TheEaglesGift]
    #16546392 - 07/17/12 06:57 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

This is oyster (pleurotus ostreatus). I made six jars and only one became stinky and weird-looking, the others fully colonized; however, i am not sure if they will be ok to use in fruiting substrate.

Offlinex7x_x7x
x7x, my problem child.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: buenos aires Flag
    #16567662 - 07/22/12 11:22 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

JCNYC said:
Hello everyone, I am having trouble with what I think is a yeast contam on my grain spawn (pleurotus ostreatus). I am working in front of a flow hood and following all the sterile procedures suggested by trusted cultivators on these forums and other books.

The first image is an earlier batch that I set aside because it looked contaminated. The second image is a new jar  made from what I thought was a contam-free agar plate (I did a couple of transfers on MYPA). I have simultaneously been working with other species and not encountered this problem.

Am i misdiagnosing this problem? Is this not yeast contam?

Thanks for the help!

little white spots are contaminants

--------------------
cultivando en la miseria

SuctoSpore® Pictorial Tek

x7x_x7x@shroomery.org

carl_jung_in_lsd@yahoo.com

koh samui and oak ridge are my favourite strains

OfflineKrumm
 User Gallery

#25952404 - 04/24/19 08:28 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

I see the same with my oyster rye grain spawns. I already fruited them and ate without seeing any color change or nasty smell. I believe it is calcium precipitation. If my rye grains are a little on the dry side, I do not see the same white spots. What do you thinK?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate