Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Amazon Terrence McKenna

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleFeeling_of_Sound
Psychedelic Theorist
Male

Loc: Infinite Possibilities
Robert Anton Wilson
    #16530670 - 07/14/12 04:23 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Im sure some of you are familiar with this guy. He is with out a doubt one of my top five favorite thinkers right along with Mckenna. He talks about science and spirituality, quantum physics, LSD, Alternate realities, and how they can maybe be validated by quantum physics. Right now I'm reading a phenomenal book by him called Quantum Psychology where he draws connections and parallels between human psychology/neurology and the way electrons and other subatomic particles behave on the quantum level. He also was a teacher and a stand up commedian. This dude is like that one favorite teacher you once had that made learning fun and exciting and hilarious all at the same time. It is with great pleasure I bring to you Robert Anton Wilson (plus his initials spell RAW, so you know hes a badass)!

Sample this 9 min video titled "Robert Anton Wilson: Free Your Mind"

--------------------
"Once expanded to the dimensions of a larger idea,
[the mind] never returns to its original size."

-Oliver Wendell Holmes

"Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

[quote] underfliptown said:
Adaptation to a sick society is no measure of mental health. [/quote]

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Robert Anton Wilson [Re: Feeling_of_Sound]
    #16530688 - 07/14/12 04:28 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

I'm afraid you might be in for a shock posting that in this forum. :haha:

Personally I liked RAW but don't take him any more seriously than he took himself.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleDieCommie

#16530725 - 07/14/12 04:34 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

I think quantum psychology is crackpottery.  RAW has some alright thoughts, but of those I generally find them to be unoriginal and ancient no brainers.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Robert Anton Wilson [Re: DieCommie]
    #16530739 - 07/14/12 04:37 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

But he was funny.  And he didn't really believe anything he was saying imo.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleMr. E
No Touchies!
Male

Loc: Hiding in the Sky
    #16530757 - 07/14/12 04:40 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Big fan of RAW myself, if you haven't read Prometheus Rising definitely check that out too. It's sort of a prequel to Quantum Psych, heavily based on Leary's 8 circuits of consciousness.  I don't think I'd go so far as to call him unoriginal, he just brings together ideas from many different sources and combines them into something new. That is the very definition of creativity. Nothing is completely new, and it never was.

--------------------
Only Red Horse Rainbows can save us, let them run wild and asunder!

Invisibledustinthewind13
Fool
 User Gallery

Loc: Being a burden
Re: Robert Anton Wilson [Re: DieCommie]
    #16531769 - 07/14/12 09:42 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

DieCommie said:
I think quantum psychology is crackpottery.  RAW has some alright thoughts, but of those I generally find them to be unoriginal and ancient no brainers.

From what I read about quantum psychology, it is not so much about applying quantum mechanics to psychology, but rather that the uncertainty present in quantum physics can also be applied to psychology. Also, I thought quantum psychology by RAW was an interesting read. It basically talks about the flaws of our everyday perception. I especially liked the part about general semantics. :2cents:

Quote:

The map–territory relation describes the relationship between an object and a representation of that object, as in the relation between a geographical territory and a map of it. Polish-American scientist and philosopher Alfred Korzybski remarked that "the map is not the territory," encapsulating his view that an abstraction derived from something, or a reaction to it, is not the thing itself. Korzybski held that many people do confuse maps with territories, i.e. confuse models of reality with reality itself.

Jiddu Krishnamurti, the Indian philosopher, described it thus, "The description is not the described"[1], to which he has further exemplified: "it is like a man who is hungry. Any amount of description of the right kind of food will never satisfy him. He is hungry, he wants food."[2]

Wiki

I was also reading about something called neuroquantology before, which is the attempt to explain what neuroscience can't about the brain. Haven't read much about it, but since our brain is matter, it should be made up of quantum fields (for lack of better phrase). There have also been hypothesis that understanding the quantum mechanics of our brain could hold potential psychiatric value. These people seem to think so, although I don't know how.

Quote:

Many current mainstream neuropsychiatric models show inconsistencies, equivocal evidence and failure to explain neuropsychiatric illness. Completely new approaches could help greatly to improve the current situation. A very promising pathway seems to be quantum models of mind, brain, and consciousness; however, an open question is how to link them to the psychiatric world. Cytoskeletal proteins have been credibly proposed as a starting point, but the cell membrane should be taken into account as well. In fact, G-protein dynamics and membrane fatty acid profiles are deeply involved in classical mechanisms of psychiatric illness, and additionally they may also play a much different though important role within quantum models of mind, brain, and consciousness. Indeed, G-protein dynamics and membrane fatty acid profiles may represent a substantial bridge between the psychiatric world and quantum theories. Might the nexus of cell membrane investigations therefore lead to a diagnostic tool able to identify psychopathology in a way also comprehensible in terms of a patient’s altered conscious state? Toward the end of answering this question, brain cell membranes should be studied, but some experimental clues suggest that platelet membranes may ultimately provide an alternative practical assay with the virtues of low cost and ease of accessibility. In any case, cell membranes (i.e. G-protein dynamics and/or fatty acid profiles) show much promise as a starting point for the linkage of psychiatry to quantum models of mind, brain, and consciousness.

linky

Edited by dustinthewind13 (07/14/12 09:51 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Amazon Terrence McKenna

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology