Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: building a electrokinetic device aka Lifter [Re: Seuss]
    #1705345 - 07/11/03 08:58 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Yep... once we figure out how to create element 115 we too will be able to build pyramids.

I'd be glad to sell you some.

Just send either US Bearer Bonds or Cash (100.00's will do) in the amount of 15 million dollars and I'll ship it within 48 hours or receipt of payment.

Yeah.... 48 hours.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
Re: building a electrokinetic device aka Lifter [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1706132 - 07/11/03 01:58 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Wired have a good article on these over here. Apparently NASA have a patent on this now, and are looking into using it as a propulsion system. Unfortunately, so far it doesn't look like these will work in space. This whole concept kind of reminds me of the hovercrafts in the Matrix films, I wonder if that's what they're supposed to be using?

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

Edited by Edame (07/11/03 01:59 PM)

OfflineEightball
whore consumer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: building a electrokinetic device aka Lifter [Re: Edame]
    #1707004 - 07/11/03 07:48 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

yup, i read some slashdot'd article on lifters the other day. aparently they dont work in a complete vacuum =( still potential like the matrix hover craft idea.

as for my experiments, i believe my power supply may be to blame for the lack of lifting. it started resetting itself a lot in the last attempt. gotta rip out the transformer and tweak it.

--------------------
If you're frightened of dying and you're holding on.you'll see devils tearing your life away.
But...if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels
Freeing you from the earth.

InvisibleEgo Death
Justadropofwaterinanendlesssea
 User Gallery

Loc: The War Machine
Re: building a electrokinetic device aka Lifter [Re: Eightball]
    #4863070 - 10/28/05 10:31 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

What controls how much the device can lift?

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: building a electrokinetic device aka Lifter [Re: Ego Death]
    #4863178 - 10/28/05 11:17 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I think the lifting force is proportional to the voltage applied to the device.

I haven't checked any of the links, but from what I understand these type of "lifters" use an ionic wind to create the lifting effect.

Basically you have a thin wire on top of the device which you charge up to many thousands of volts. This ionizes the air surrounding the wire, making it electrically conductive. On the lower half of the device you have a plate (tin foil) usually held at ground potential. The ionized air is accelerated towards this plate due to the voltage potential - the higher your voltage is the stronger this acceleration will be. The ionized air loses its charge (or most of it? hopefully all of it) as it passes this plate.

It is this movement of air from the corona wire to the plate that causes the lifting effect.

This is essentially a VERY scaled-down and low-tech version of a ion drive (like the one used on that comet probe). In those an inert gas (like xenon) is ionized and accelerated towards the back of the engine where it exits and produces thrust.

The thrust produced in this manner is very small - less than the acceleration you put on yourself each time you take a step. However it is very efficient and can hold up acceleration for MUCH longer periods of time than most (any?) other engines we have.

The part about charged capacitors weighing less is still being investigated, from what I hear. It is not yet understood.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflineThePredator
Your a eunich ifyou don't useunix!

Re: building a electrokinetic device aka Lifter [Re: trendal]
    #4864740 - 10/28/05 07:06 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I think that the theory is flawed. Their seems to be no link between electrons and gravity because gravity is exerted from the nucleus.

Trendal is correct or it uses magnetism which would mean it would only work in the upper hemispheres or it would only work in the lower.

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: building a electrokinetic device aka Lifter [Re: ThePredator]
    #4873975 - 10/31/05 05:17 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

> gravity is exerted from the nucleus

Really? Our understanding of physics must have changed since I was in school...

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineTheCow
Stranger

#4875530 - 10/31/05 02:39 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

trendal said:
I think the lifting force is proportional to the voltage applied to the device.

I haven't checked any of the links, but from what I understand these type of "lifters" use an ionic wind to create the lifting effect.

Basically you have a thin wire on top of the device which you charge up to many thousands of volts.

Can you explain this more? What do you mean charge a wire up to many thousands of volts. There is no voltage drop on the wire, so one cannot really charge up a wire to many thousands of volts. And where does the capacitor come into play? The only thing I can come up with, however Im highly intoxicated, is that the high voltage sets up a strong magnetic field, which induces currents in the foil. As it doesnt seem like the copper wire is attached to the foil at all. Id then assume that the strong magnetic field, on one side interacts with the ground side producing some manner of movement,

OfflineThePredator
Your a eunich ifyou don't useunix!

Re: building a electrokinetic device aka Lifter [Re: TheCow]
    #4875535 - 10/31/05 02:41 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

The wire positivly charges the air around it and the negativly charged platform is pulled up to it.

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

#4875913 - 10/31/05 04:12 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

If you attatch a wire to the + pole of a 25kV power supply, that wire is "charged" to 25kV - each point on the wire is at 25kV potential. The wire is just an extention of the + pole.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.

OfflineTheCow
Stranger

#4877942 - 10/31/05 11:05 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Well I understand what you mean, just the way you phrased it was confusing. As voltage is usually referred to as the potential difference between two points. If you integrate the electric field dot dl, over a to b, this will give you the potential difference which would be zero.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

#4878635 - 11/01/05 06:49 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

To be "charged" means to have an electrical potential - which is the same thing as voltage. In particular, "charged" refers to a physical state in which an object either has a deficit or excess of electrons in its structure - creating an electric potential between the object and its surroundings.

Normally air at surface pressure is not conductive. At a high enough voltage any insulator will break down and begin to conduct (poorly) - air is the same. That's what causes sparks, the voltage (charge) in one object is high enough to break down the resistance of the surrounding air.

This happens due to ionization. The electric field in the object is so great that it can either give extra electrons to the surounding gas atoms or take some away. Either case results in charged ions of gas. The wire gives some of its charge to the air. Ions can carry a current, so a spike of ions forms moving towards a neutral object which is nearby. Once it connects you get a "spark". Same thing with lightning.

--------------------

Edited by trendal (11/01/05 09:02 AM)

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #4878799 - 11/01/05 08:50 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

> At a high enough voltage any conductor will break down

Correction: At a high enough voltage any non-conductor will break down

(I assume this is what you meant...)

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: building a electrokinetic device aka Lifter [Re: Seuss]
    #4878825 - 11/01/05 09:03 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah I meant to say "insulator". Thanks seuss :smile:

--------------------

OfflineTheCow
Stranger

#4884284 - 11/02/05 03:49 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

What I am saying, is that voltage is a potential difference. Sure every dl, is at a certain potential on that wire, but this is different then voltage.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

#4965717 - 11/21/05 08:20 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

I've decided to give this a try myself. I've just constructed a simple lifter device:

How much did your device weigh? Mine is 4g total (including HV and ground wires).

How did you set up your power supply? I'm also going to use a flyback from an old monitor - I was just going to drive it with a DC supply and 555 timer...how did yours work?

--------------------

OfflineAlford
Stranger
    #4966035 - 11/21/05 09:36 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

That is so cool

Invisibleyousuck
Stranger

Re: building a electrokinetic device aka Lifter [Re: Alford]
    #4968081 - 11/22/05 12:23 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Oh i get it! everyone who doesnt understand what it is he's making:

see, it will work, you just got to add some wisdom and courage in addition to your power supply.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

#4968327 - 11/22/05 01:35 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Got most of the power supply set up today. Now all I need is a flyback and I'll be ready to give this a try.

*hunts around the neighborhood for a dead tv*

--------------------

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
    #4971765 - 11/23/05 07:52 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

holy fuck!

Now I really think I can levitate...

see... we are already there... two surfaces never ever touches..

go figure? :P

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale