Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD   Amazon Coir, Moisture Meter, pH Test Strips, Portable Greenhouse, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
Custom Soil for an Outdoor Bed???
    #1650322 - 06/21/03 05:53 AM (14 years, 11 days ago)

I am revamping my outdoor set-up. I am in the middle of construction of a 10 inch raised bed with a hoop greenhouse constructed with PVC and plastic over it.

Anyway, I would like some suggestions of what kind of custom soil I should fill the raised bed with. I will be using the greenhouse primarily for the growing of tropical/gourmet fungi species.

I already have some ideas about what kind of ingredients to mix in.

Please offer any experience or advice you may have.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

Edited by Joshua (06/21/03 05:53 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Custom Soil for an Outdoor Bed??? [Re: Joshua]
    #1650451 - 06/21/03 08:47 AM (14 years, 11 days ago)

I?d use the same mix you use for a casing.

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Re: Custom Soil for an Outdoor Bed??? [Re: Anno]
    #1651944 - 06/21/03 09:39 PM (14 years, 10 days ago)

That would work I suppose...I would only need 524 liters of casing mix.

I am thinking of a pH balanced soil with good air exchange, good drainage, and reletively inert and available in bulk.

Do you think the coir and verm would be inert? I plan on keeping the same soil in the bed through the end of Summer at least.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#1653946 - 06/22/03 06:02 PM (14 years, 10 days ago)

Hey Josh;  I thought I'd share some observations on my outdoor bed.  The soil I used this year was basically a very good compost.  There was lots of woody material, almost toothpick-size.  There was a great thread going about the possible effects of an Actinomyces-rich [or Actino-remediated] substrate.  This stuff was very well-composted, likely very Actino-rich.  Not only does the compost itself seem to be colonizing, but the chips in the vicinity are noticeably furthur along.  My biggest worry is that the compost had a weed fungus already established in it :tongue:
One other thing that really surprised me, I had a bucket of soil with some tomato plants in it.  It had been sitting for a couple of weeks on the chip surface, and after moving it, I was astounded to see mycelium ripping through the chips underneath.  Subsequently I laid out some of that miniature-golf-type-green-fake-grass stuff over the bed.  Again, two weeks later a check revealed increased growth. 
Is it CO2-buildup [beneficial]?  Temperature?  Moisture retention?  Dunno, but something even just laying over the top of the chips has sped up colonization in my little garden.   
I don't know if it's of any help, they're just some observations from this season.  Best of luck with yours!  :laugh:

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Re: Custom Soil for an Outdoor Bed??? [Re: Suntzu]
    #1657644 - 06/24/03 03:52 AM (14 years, 8 days ago)

I have a friend who has been placing native moss over his beds. It seems to be working great.

I am still brainstorming what I want to do with the soil. We'll see how it turns out in the end.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #1658243 - 06/24/03 12:27 PM (14 years, 8 days ago)

Why use soil at all? Seems like you should just fill it with substrate. Wood chips/hardwood mulch for wood lovers, straw/dung/castings/compost for dung lovers. Just fill that puppy full and throw a deep casing on top of it, then you'd only be looking at less than 100 liters casing soil.

What's the soil for anyway?

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Re: Custom Soil for an Outdoor Bed??? [Re: mycofile]
    #1662651 - 06/25/03 09:54 PM (14 years, 6 days ago)

That has been what I am contemplating. I would love to have a successful 4 x 8 foot casing 6-8 inches deep....what a dream that would be.

I am still in limbo about how to prepare the soil. I have ideas. For now I am just brainstorming and baiting for better ideas.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #1664339 - 06/26/03 01:46 PM (14 years, 6 days ago)

Josh, I think you'd be best served with a mix of dung and straw to fill the bed, then cased.

You're talking about a massive amount of substrate, something like 100 gallons. For the straw, I'd do a water pasteurization, and for that amount, using your hotwater heater in a big trash can/barrel as I've described seems like the easiest way. Probably 2-4 loads full. I'd use a lot of dung/manure/castings as well, maybe 1/4-1/2 as much as the straw. Again, hotwater pasteurization seems like the easiest way, and you won't have to worry about it being too wet since it will be continually draining from the raised bed. You may decide to add in a nursery bought compost or manure to add bulk if you don't want to deal with that much straw/manure, but I think you could easily handle it.

For a casing, IME outdoor casings do better if they aren't as light as our indoor mixes. A good nursery bought compost, lightened up with a little verm and/or coir sounds good to me.

Also, if you're a gardener you know this, raised beds drain more quickly, and dry out a little faster than beds in soil, depending on local conditions. Might want to buy a moisture meter to keep an eye on that.

Keep it in heavy shade, or the plastic will trap too much heat, and don't forget to allow for ample ventilation. Nursery suppliers have thermestatically controled vent openers you may want to incorporate into the design ( I thin they are in the $30 range?). If you have good shade, you may want to forgo the plastic altogether and grow a tall grass in the bed. Not too thick, maybe 1/2 to 1/4 as thick as you'd sow a lawn. Don't use a running grass. The grass will keep a nice humid micro-climate as long as it's not baking in the full sun, and you won't have to worry about ventilation or over-heating at all.

BTW, divider boards could be added to divide the bed into different areas for different strains/species.

I'd also recomend using ground BRFV substrate as spawn to deter pests digging for the grain. BRFV can be done in spawn bags quite easily, and when ground with a cheese grater will innoculate more substrate than an equal volume of grain. Supplement with dry milk, nutritional yeast etc if you are concerned about the lowered nutrient base in BRFV, but I would't be.

Consider spawn mate to the outdoor bed if using a low spawn rate, see highroller's, FM's, and mycota's recent posts on various boards for more info on it.

Oh, and get some slug traps to put around the bed.

BTW, I've never done an outdoor bed like this, but I have put a lot of thought into it, just sharing my research.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Offlinecomario2
amateur

Loc: between places
    #1664439 - 06/26/03 02:27 PM (14 years, 6 days ago)

micophile:you have indeed - put a lot of thought into this. thank you.

joshua: i'm sort of thinking of a similar project. what amount of spawn are you planning on using?

--------------------
comario

"crusaders against emotional poverty"

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Re: Custom Soil for an Outdoor Bed??? [Re: comario2]
    #1666543 - 06/27/03 04:54 AM (14 years, 5 days ago)

I don't have the spawn together yet. 5-6 Gallons should do.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

#1666550 - 06/27/03 05:00 AM (14 years, 5 days ago)

Thanks for the great advice!

I have considered a compartmentalized set-up. I think I am liking the idea of a giant casing. I have access to large quantities of horse manure compost. I will be making a canopy from shade cloth to create my own shade. I have a soaker hose and may try some sort of misting system...maybe even an ultrasonic. I have access to a propane burner and a 55 gallon drum and as much straw as I would ever need. I will likely be pasteurizing outside with the aforementioned items.

Your ideas have been added to the melting pot.

I'd like to invite you to keep an eye on my "Shroom gardening" thread in the pictures/growlog forum. Your feedback is invaluable.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
    #1667677 - 06/27/03 07:03 PM (14 years, 5 days ago)

It would be awesome if the G+MM forum could be appended to also be outdoor/myco-landscaping. I'd love to see good discussions on some outdoor grows of gourmets, as well as setups for outdoor growing psychoactives.

What do you think Joshua? Is it worth feeling around?

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Re: Custom Soil for an Outdoor Bed??? [Re: Raadt]
    #1667728 - 06/27/03 07:27 PM (14 years, 5 days ago)

I think the forum may overlap with the growlog forum and the input for that type of information is likely to be very little. I can only think of less that ten users who would be likely to contribute.

As it stands now a user can post in one forum or the other depending on the viewers they are trying to reach.

I would also be interested in those threads though.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
    #1668082 - 06/27/03 10:33 PM (14 years, 4 days ago)

that's why i was thinking in the gourmet forum, it has very low traffic and the interested parties would actually have a chance.

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD   Amazon Coir, Moisture Meter, pH Test Strips, Portable Greenhouse, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology