Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Loc: Around Minneapolis.
the spirituality of distance running
    #1648376 - 06/20/03 03:58 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I really dig running. The latter stages of a long run are qualitatively similar to tripping (IMHO). is this meaningful?

--------------------
The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinelucid
Jack's AlteredConsciousness

Loc: up on the bidet
Re: the spirituality of distance running [Re: Malachi]
    #1648396 - 06/20/03 04:02 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Malachi, I know exactly how u feel.
I used to be crazy bout biking long distance.
There was nothing that could center me more than
a long ride. I would crazily bike 300+ miles a week
and loved it. I think long dist endurance activities
are very spiritual. Towards the last 20 miles or so
I'd be completely fatigued and with that came a
humbleness and letting go of the self that was
wonderful indeed.

--------------------
"no-mind un-thinks no-thought..."

Offlinejohnnyfive
Burning withCircles!
Loc: Hell
    #1648509 - 06/20/03 04:24 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

hmmm, i should try that one day, i was in class one day, and teach was explaining how our body's do realese a chemical that does clear things up, i dought its a tryptiamine though.

--------------------
And the gameshow host rings the buzzer (brrnnntt) oh and now you get a face full of face!

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1648530 - 06/20/03 04:28 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I used to be a runner as well, man - the "runner's high" is great :smile:

Not to mention the fact that its so fucking good for you ANYWAY :smile:

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Re: the spirituality of distance running [Re: johnnyfive]
    #1649168 - 06/20/03 07:50 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

endorphins get released.. I think those are the opiate-like chemicals. I don't feel like that is the most significant factor of the experience, as the endorphin 'high' seems to be felt mostly after running (for most of the day, actually, which is great), while the 'peak experience' occurs during the run.

--------------------
The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

OfflineSev
Astropath
Loc: NY
    #1649363 - 06/20/03 08:55 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Huxley say stuff about similar things in ... I think _Heaven and Hell_. Endorphins and other things can put one into a trip-like or trance state. These tend to be released in times of malnourishment, sickness, extreme fatigue, or pain. The latter two are what come in to play when you're talking about excercise.

And yeah, a "runner's high" -is- great. %)

--------------------
"Do we want the stars? We can have them. Can we borrow cups of fire from the sun? We can and must and light the world." --"On the Shoulders of Giants", Ray Bradbury

All of my posts are full of fiction and blatant lies.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: the spirituality of distance running [Re: lucid]
    #1649715 - 06/20/03 11:17 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

The thing about most sports, which is tangential to your point about body chemistry changes, is that if one is to succeed, one must be totally in the moment; hence in a Zen state. If one is worrying about a bad ref call, how they will deal with the IRS mess and whether or not the pool guy is banging their wife; one will most likely lose. One is forced to clear the mind of detritus and focus only on the task at hand.

Now LD biking and running is different than a "skill" sport (no offense here) such as tennis; it is similar in that thoughts of fatigue, pain and failure must be quieted immediately. However, there are definite bio-chemical changes that occur ONLY from long, continuous phsyical output. What this has to do with "spirituality" is beyond me.

Perhaps the outlook shift is due to the dropping of our modernized neurotic mental ramblings and the return to a more "natural" primal state and subsequent mental health. Internal noise and optimum physical output may likely be mutually exclusive states.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Edited by Swami (06/21/03 10:15 AM)

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
Re: the spirituality of distance running [Re: Swami]
    #1649788 - 06/20/03 11:42 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

The thing about most sports, which is tangential to your point about body chemistry changes, is that if one is to succeed, one must be totally in the moment; hence in a Zen state. If one is worrying about a bad ref call, how they will deal with the IRS mess and whether or not the pool guy is banging their wife; one will most likely lose. One is forced to clear the mind of detritus and focus only on the task at hand.

I really like what you said here. I used to be a diver, and I can definitely relate to being "in the zone" and completely focused on the task at hand. It gives one a very good feeling.

In fact, I haven't been off a diving board in over three years, and I still miss it severely and even have dreams about diving sometimes!

Concerning long distance running, though, I have never had the experience of a "runner's high." I've tried getting into running a few times, but I never made it far because I found the fatigue and exhaustion it caused to be extremely unpleasant.

I did have a swimming class last semester, though, where we had to swim a mile for the final. The mile is 72 lengths of the pool, and I did them all; and I believe I felt something close to what a "runner's high" might be like.

It really felt good, and I plan on continuing to swim throughout next school year because of it. I think it could be considered spiritual because it makes you feel like you're on a higher state, or somehow above the normal earthly plane.

Peace & Intelligence,

RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Re: the spirituality of distance running [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #1650091 - 06/21/03 01:54 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I used to be on a swimming team when I was younger... I remember feeling real astonishment during one of my first heats at what I called my 'second breath'.... I think this is rather inaccurate, as the feeling I had likely has alot more to do with brain soup stuff.

Swami-- you're right that you'd have to agree that divine can have material triggers... but if you accept that, then it follows.

--------------------
- Paul Tillich

Offlinelucid
Jack's AlteredConsciousness

Loc: up on the bidet
    #1650138 - 06/21/03 02:42 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Swami wrote:
>and whether or not the pool guy is banging their wife
I always wondered about that :wink:

--------------------
"no-mind un-thinks no-thought..."

OfflineEdge
I like plants

Loc: Machu Pichu
Re: the spirituality of distance running [Re: lucid]
    #1650929 - 06/21/03 02:22 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

LD running... i loved that feeling i got so much. unfortunately i stopped because of pot... this thread actually inspired me to start doing it again... im going out to run now lol. i love the shroomery!

--------------------
Check Out My "A Report w/ pics and links--FAE, RH, Casings, Cakes, Polyfil, And A Simple Setup And More!"

"For every action there is a reaction; and a Paykie reaction, is quite a fuckin thing"
--Turkish of Snatch

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Re: the spirituality of distance running [Re: Edge]
    #1651052 - 06/21/03 03:10 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

yeah, the whole pot thing seems to be a hinderance.  at first pot + running seemed like the perfect combo, but as I get more into the running thing I don't like coughing up shit, even if it's just clearish weed gook (I smoked cigs for about a 1.5 years in the peak of my 'drug daze') . 

the solution, of course, can't involve quitting either running or smoking... so I just really cut back on weed, I like to say "I smoke ganja like Indians smoked tobacco" :smile:

--------------------
- Paul Tillich

Offlinefindbuddha
findingforbiddenmoments,unmediatedexperience
Loc: Australia
    #1651704 - 06/21/03 07:45 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I run and row.

Excersize for as long as you can at the intensity where you feel like your not quite getting enough oxygen. Then sit down and float. :smile:

Endorphins are body's natural painkiller.  Very similar to morphine/heroin. Euphoric high. Heroin use stops the body producing its own opiates, so withdrawal is supposedly very painful.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: the spirituality of distance running [Re: findbuddha]
    #1652721 - 06/22/03 02:47 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I run and row.

Must be one long-ass boat! :smile:

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: the spirituality of distance running [Re: Swami]
    #1652806 - 06/22/03 03:14 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

hi snare, low snare, bass drum...... cymbol!

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Re: the spirituality of distance running [Re: Strumpling]
    #1653566 - 06/22/03 02:46 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

what's 'high' and 'low' snare? I thought there was only one snare on a trap?

--------------------
- Paul Tillich

InvisibleJared
Stranger
Folding@home Statistics
    #1654347 - 06/22/03 09:00 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

The other day, I hiked up a mountain with some friends. A winding twisted "path" littered with rocks, branches, roots, mud holes, rises and drops. On the way back down I started jogging it, then faster, and faster my feet dropped in front of each other.. totaly outside my control. Running more and more, faster and faster. Every ounce of focus I could muster was going to my feet, letting them navigate the rough terrain and tearing through it as fast as I possibly could. Leaping over fallen logs, rocks, roots. Nothing was in my thoughts but the running, navigating the pathway. I still don't know how I didn't end up with a twisted ankle...

It's one of the most memorable experiences I've had in recent months. When I run normally, I don't get the same feeling I did when I had to focus so hard on not tripping and falling. I dunno if the experience is really spiritual.. but it definatly shifts your mind into a state which it doesn't often find itself.

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
Re: the spirituality of distance running [Re: Jared]
    #1654414 - 06/22/03 09:19 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I've had an experience very similar to this once, and it was quite exhilirating! :laugh:

I was canoeing up in Algonquin Provincial Park in Canada, and there was one particularly long portage I had to make.  I carried the canoe all the way across, and when I went back for my packs, I started running for some reason.  It was like a surge of adrenaline started coursing through me all the sudden for no apparent reason.

The "path" I was running on was just like the one you talked about.  It was very littered with rocks, tree roots, mud, and lots of other obstacles.  But, like you, I had this incredible focus, and my feet found a good landing spot with every stride I took.

I was definitely "in the zone!" :smile:

I'd forgetten about this experience until I just read your post... Thanks for bringing back the cool memory! :smile:

Peace,

RebelSteve 

--------------------
Namaste.

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Re: the spirituality of distance running [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #1655233 - 06/23/03 03:43 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

funny you mention it... but I happen to have started running because of a similar incident.  a friend and I where camping in the woods, and he and I decided to follow the bike path (which was totally gnarly and twisted) to this nice swimming area. to make a long story short, the path inticed us to run faster and faster... somehow the pristine surroundings and the knowledge of the cool cool water waiting for us really drove us.. 

the really strange part of all this is that I was a really bad strung out junkie at the time... if I had to pin point the real turning point in my life, it'd have to be that run.  rad, huh? :smile:

--------------------
- Paul Tillich

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology