Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
East TN, Rain, 6/18/03, 20 foot radius, Lawn
    #1645857 - 06/19/03 08:38 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Correctly Identified (IMO) Chlorophyllum Molybdites. Seeing this specimen prompted me stop driving and check out this lawn. I assumed some large Lepiota but the green spore print prompted immediate identification. There were 3 specimens still in "pinhead" stage that are now just as large and mature. Notice the gills are a stark white. I apologise for not offering size dimensions or weights.

Correctly Identified (IMO) Boletus Bicolor. My first non-agaric identity. Got a cool shot of visible mycelium. There were several specimens in the vicinity.

Not sure if this would fall in the coprinus or mycena genus. The caps deliquesced (sp?) slowly into a dark cinnamon liquid. there was no visible (naked eye on white paper) spore priint. gills did not exude any milk (knocking off laccaria).

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
Re: East TN, Rain, 6/18/03, 20 foot radius, Lawn [Re: debianlinux]
    #1645871 - 06/19/03 08:50 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Cool finds and nice pics!!!

That last one definitely seems like a Coprinus, but I've never seen one quite like that, so I'm not too sure. It almost looks like the Conic Fiberhead, or Inocybe fastigiata in my book. It doesn't mention anything about it deliquescing into a cinnamon liquid, though, so it's probably not.

However, I thought that all Coprinus deliquesce into a dark black goo... hence the name "Inky Caps." I could be wrong, though. Someone else here will probably know.

--------------------
Namaste.

Anonymous

#1645917 - 06/19/03 09:14 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

Invisiblechunder
marker

Loc: The City
Re: East TN, Rain, 6/18/03, 20 foot radius, Lawn [Re: ]
    #1647807 - 06/20/03 12:22 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Excellent photos debianlinux. I live round abouts East TN and the last week or so has been excellent weather for mushrooms indeed. Peace.

--------------------

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1647978 - 06/20/03 01:43 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Nice specimens and photos.

You certainly got Chlorophyllum molybdites right. The spore print makes the ID really easy on them.

It's possible that your boletes are Boletus bicolor, but I can't see the details I need in the photos to verify that ID. Here's a list of things you should verify (from Fischer and Bessette, Edible Wild Mushrooms of North America):
1. Cap dry; 2 or more inches wide; dark rose red to pale pinkish red, sometimes dull yellow at edge.
2. Pore surface yellow, slowly staining blue where bruised.
3. Cap flesh pale yellow, slowly staining blue when cut.
4. Stalk yellow at top; stalk flesh yellow throughout.
5. Lower 2/3 of stalk surface rose red.
If any of those aren't true, then you've gotten one of the many similar mushrooms, some of which are poisonous. The one you most need to worry about is Boletus sensibilis - the easiest way to distinguish them is that B. sensibilis stains blue instantly when cut.

With the last ones, I'll go with Mr_M's assessment - Conocybe cf. lactea seems reasonable. They weren't slimy, were they? Here they just dry up and wither, but you're moister than here (Denver), so I wouldn't be too surprised to see them deliquesce.

Keep us posted.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: East TN, Rain, 6/18/03, 20 foot radius, Lawn [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1648957 - 06/20/03 06:29 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

That is confirmed on all points of the boletus bicolor. the caps are a velvety red with a yellow external ring at the peak of maturity. the pores slowly stain and only where bruised (I wrote FunGuyFan's name on one with a stick). also affirmative on the stalk colorations.

I understand this species to be edible but it will be a long time before i take the leap of faith and eat a wild mushroom i have identified (besides, chemlawn doesn't strike me as particulalrly appetizing). i would have provided more details but i was certain my identifications were correct and i didn't bother copying text from Arora.

After studying the details of conocybes (esp. lactea) I must say that is a proper remote identification! These buggers are growing en masse in every yard in the neighborhood.

I'm really itching to get a decent scope to enable microscopic verification (specifically spores) but alas, $$$ is always an issue.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1649116 - 06/20/03 07:34 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

The key features I listed above, and which you confirmed, were taken from a book designed for beginners who want to learn some distinctive, relatively easy-to-identify edible mushrooms. So if they match those characters, then you can be sure (100%) that that's what you've got. Note that Dr. Bessette is also one the authors of the recent North American Boletes, which is currently the best book you'll be able to find on the topic. So he knows his boletes, probably better than most professionals.

The Chemlawn question is another thing altogether. That's a real good reason to not eat them.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification