Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleSixCee
keep rolling
Male

Loc: US, Chicago
Cool mist humidifier a problem.
    #1642773 - 06/18/03 04:15 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Hey all I am in need of your help. I have a cool mist humidifier I bought from Walgreens.
I sealed all of the vents except for a tube going into one of them. The tube then went into a hole in my fruiting chamber (66 qt.) and I turned it on. Damn those things are loud...
Well anyways after having it on for half an hour there is no difference in my fruiting chamber.
What's the deal?
The teks say to seal all of the vents and drill a hole into the side of the humidifier and put the tubing there. But would there really be a difference if I put the tubing into a vent and then sealed it all up?

Well looking forward to your input. Also, are air pumps loud?

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-->The above statements may or not be true.
->Quote of the Moment :
"Yea. All bitches are whores who love sex." -Cubie
----> PMs checked daily.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinekukusz
Owner of belowhot monkey!

Loc: East Coast
Re: Cool mist humidifier a problem. [Re: SixCee]
    #1642781 - 06/18/03 04:19 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

There should be not too much difference... but make sure not to cover up the air vent that allows air to be sucked _into_ the humidifier. There is a picture of a coolmist setup with most likely the same humidifer you have here:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1642605

vicks?

This setup used to have a hose coming out of the blue area, where the outgoing vent is. Hope this helps...

--------------------
All of my posts are for discussion purposes only. All posts concerning cultivation of mushrooms refer to legal gourmet mushrooms only. Yes, I support monkey-human relationships.

Offlinecharvo
JOURNEYMAN
Male

Loc: In The Hand Of The World
    #1642793 - 06/18/03 04:22 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

i put my tubing right in the top hole that's already there and seal it up mine works fine,if your going drill new holes put them in the top of the lid and seal the one in the middle.i have the vicks cool mist.hope that helps

--------------------

InvisibleSixCee
keep rolling
Male

Re: Cool mist humidifier a problem. [Re: kukusz]
    #1642798 - 06/18/03 04:24 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah I have read that topic. Vent where air gets sucked in? Actually I got this cheap humidifier by Sunbeam. I examined it again and see no air vents. Do I need specifically Vicks brand?

If this humidifier doesn't work I'll just go pick up some air pumps, but can someone tell me if they are as loud as the humidifier.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
->Quote of the Moment :
----> PMs checked daily.

Offlinekukusz

#1642812 - 06/18/03 04:32 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Hmm there is no air vent coming in? Weird, how does it suck the air into the humidifier so that it can push some air out? I'm sure vicks is not necessary and yours should work... My friend tests whether his humidifier is working by putting a piece of clear tape or saran wrap on the end of the tube - it should get condensation pretty quickly.

--------------------
All of my posts are for discussion purposes only. All posts concerning cultivation of mushrooms refer to legal gourmet mushrooms only. Yes, I support monkey-human relationships.

InvisibleSixCee
keep rolling
Male

#1642839 - 06/18/03 04:42 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I bet it does have air vents but I don't know where. Lemme take pics of the thing and show you.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
->Quote of the Moment :
----> PMs checked daily.

OfflineMAGICSNOOP
mob boss
Loc: bud park
    #1642851 - 06/18/03 04:47 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

the water comes from that thing on there that spinns that kind sucks
u should take that one back and for the same price at walgreens they have a white and blue one that holds 2 days worth of water its bad ass no noise nothing
the bottom is white and the top is a clear blue only from walgreens get that one its ultrasonic

Invisiblefungusflip
visionary

Loc: texas
    #1642858 - 06/18/03 04:49 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

there are humidifiers at walgreens that i think the brand is SUNBEAM they are the cheapest ones at walgreens. the humidity comes out of a hole in the top. there are only hi and low settigs on it. i use them personally and what i found is that there is a small plastic piece that pulls right out of the hole where the humididty is released and after it is removed i can slip a piece of 3/4 in. or 1 in vinyl tubing in that hole perfectly snug and then seal it up good with silicone and let it dry before you use it or you'll get deformed mushies.  i put mine on a timer that comes on 20 times a day for 3 minutes on the low setting and it works for me. :rolleyes: :mushroom2:

--------------------
let it be know, there is a fountain that was not made by the hands of men.

Edited by fungusflip (06/18/03 04:53 PM)

Offlinekukusz

Re: Cool mist humidifier a problem. [Re: fungusflip]
    #1643041 - 06/18/03 10:10 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

that thing looks kinda like a piece of sh%# but I bet it works fine. If you can return it, I would, but if you are stuck with it, tape up the main output vent and put a hole in the white plastic area big enough to attach a hose. You don't need a drill to make the whole, if you have some patience, take a bolt, like say 1/4"-1/2" wide, stick it on your range burner for like 2 minutes or so, then melt a hole in the plastic by using pliers to pick it up. You need to reheat the bolt a couple times, and each time you get it hot just kinda run the bolt along the edges of the increasingly larger hole you are producing in a circular manner. Oh, make sure you are by a vent or window because melted plastic is not so healthy to inhale. Using this melting technique my friend melted the holes in his rubbermaid and his humidifer. Pics in the thread I reference above. Anyways, good luck with your humidifier, and try doing the saran wrap test to see if you are getting any moisture coming out of your tube...

--------------------

InvisibleSixCee
keep rolling
Male

#1643936 - 06/19/03 06:53 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Alright I'll try that but can someone tell me if air pumps are loud?

Thanks for all the help all.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
->Quote of the Moment :
----> PMs checked daily.

Invisiblehoushroom
shroom cowboy

Loc: space city
    #1644035 - 06/19/03 08:15 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

usually air pumps are pretty quite, and if you have an air stone you won't even hear the bubbles. don't get too big of one or you'll have too much air exchange and dry your terrarium out.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder