Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinehotrod
bad mofo
Cant find brf. What about making my own?
    #1642986 - 06/18/03 05:42 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

A dude I know looked at 5 different health food stores by his house. None of them carried the flour but all had the rice. Dont ask me why they didnt have it i'd like to know myself but the dude doesnt like to ask to many questions. So what i'm wondering is after reading the FAQ and seeing you can make it yourself with a coffee grinder who out there does this? Whats your success rate compared to the premade flour. The dude thans anyone for their help.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBob_J
Spaced outRabbit

Loc: alberta canada
Re: Cant find brf. What about making my own? [Re: hotrod]
    #1643003 - 06/18/03 05:50 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

when i first started i would just use a coffee grinder and grind it up as finely as possible. its never as finely ground as the flour but it worked well for me. just dont put too much in at once or else it wont grind it up as good. anyways good luck.

--------------------

"With insomnia your never really asleep, and your never really awake"

InvisibleLiL_KuSsH
Lost In The Trip
I'm a teapot

Deleted [Re: Bob_J]
    #1643051 - 06/18/03 10:19 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Post deleted by administrator

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: NSW, Australia.
Re: Cant find brf. What about making my own? [Re: LiL_KuSsH]
    #1643134 - 06/18/03 11:02 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Just use ordinary flour. Try and ensure it says "Organic" on the packet, but even if it doesn't it's not going to hurt that much. Organic is best tho.

OfflineTantalus
Beyonddescription.
Re: Cant find brf. What about making my own? [Re: oO_wombat_Oo]
    #1643164 - 06/18/03 11:13 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Afoaf is doing his 1st grow & has 22 jars all between 50-90% colonized with brown rice blended in a regular kitchen blender. No contams so far.

I've actually seen some people here just use whole brown rice.

--------------------
"A nation's hope of lasting peace cannot be firmly based upon any race in armaments but rather upon just relations and honest understanding with all other nations...

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed... The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. We pay for a single fighter with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people..."

President Dwight Eisenhower, 1953

Offlinechineseguy
Stranger

Loc: Chongqing, China
Re: Cant find brf. What about making my own? [Re: Tantalus]
    #1643292 - 06/18/03 11:59 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

ive seen that jars colonize much faster when you leave the rice whole. heres a tek i saw and seems to have good results.

go back to the health food store (whole foods/ trader joes) and buy some of the 100% organic high quality BR. then mix:

3 parts brown rice
1 part cracked corn (pet store)
1 part verm.

put the mixture in a pot w/ some hot tap water and let it sit overnight (12+ hrs). then put the mixture in a strainer and rinse it off good. let it drain in the strainer for at least 30 mins. then put the mixture in jars and add a verm layer like PF tek. your jars should be completely colonized in about 2 weeks.

leaving the rice whole allows you to use less vermiculite in the mix, which = more nutrients for mush.

OfflineRustik
Where am I?

Re: Cant find brf. What about making my own? [Re: chineseguy]
    #1643333 - 06/19/03 12:15 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

put the mixture in a pot w/ some hot tap water and let it sit overnight (12+ hrs). then put the mixture in a strainer and rinse it off good. let it drain in the strainer for at least 30 mins. then put the mixture in jars and add a verm layer like PF tek. your jars should be completely colonized in about 2 weeks.

Now I KNOW you meant to say "sterilize" somewhere in there, but you must have forgotten.

Boil jars for 1 hour and let cool before inoculating. Or, if you have a pressure cooker, pressure cook for 45 mins at 15 psi and let cool before inoculating.

--------------------

The blue... the blue!!!

Offlinechineseguy
Stranger

Re: Cant find brf. What about making my own? [Re: Rustik]
    #1643365 - 06/19/03 12:24 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

>>Now I KNOW you meant to say "sterilize" somewhere in there, but you must have forgotten.<<

yeah, that was the unspoken obvious part- just follow the fanaticus method of steam sterilyzation if you dont have a pc.

Invisiblekoraks
    #1643647 - 06/19/03 03:12 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Use any kind of flour that has many little brown and black bits in it :smile:
But seriously, I've never worked with BRF, but I use all sorts of funky flour from my local health-store, and it works perfectly for me! Never tried ordinary flour, but it might work pretty well too. ALthough it is possible that plain flour lacks some spore elements needed for healthy shrooms, I don't know.

Offlinehotrod
bad mofo
Re: Cant find brf. What about making my own? [Re: koraks]
    #1645213 - 06/19/03 02:54 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks everyone. Believe it or not the dude cant find 1/2 pint jars either. He went to 4 stores yesterday and the closest he found was the 1 pint jars. Hes a newbie so would those be good for him? Anyone know where online these might be found. He really cant belive that he cant find them. The dude lives in a major city.

Offlinechineseguy
Stranger

#1645260 - 06/19/03 03:10 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

the pint jars work fine, just take longer to colonize.

if you live in a major city, you shouldn't need to buy jars online. some Albertson's and other supermarkets carry different size mason jars. Walmart, K-mart, Target and those types of stores carry em. I also heard Smart n' Final carries them.

Offlinehotrod
bad mofo
    #1645301 - 06/19/03 03:23 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

he checked kmart, menards, home depot, walmart and target. He just doesnt understand it. may he should just go with the pint jars. Is there a higher risk of contamination?

OfflineMAGICSNOOP
mob boss
Loc: bud park
    #1645314 - 06/19/03 03:28 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

shit i used hole grains(brown rice)not grounded and that worked wonderfull it was faster than br flour and more yum yums also worked to easily crumble in small pieces for spawn its ok u have to adjust the water putting a bit more water i think i did something like every cup i added another 1/4 cup water i think. so it was like every 4 half pint jars get another 1/4th cup water based on the 2/3rd of verm. and 1/4 cup water for every half pint jar damn i hope them measurments r right its been a few months but it works with out grinding

OfflineMAGICSNOOP
mob boss
Loc: bud park
Re: Cant find brf. What about making my own? [Re: MAGICSNOOP]
    #1645331 - 06/19/03 03:32 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

damn i know what i forgot it goes 2/3 cup verm. 1/4 cup of brf or hole grines 1/4 water there u go thats what i was missing damn i smoke to much. so this would be ur recipie for not ground up brown rice
2/3cup verm.
1/4cup water
1/4cup br
and every 4 jars u mix u add another 1/4 cup water
ok i got it now
try that

Offlinehotrod
bad mofo
Re: Cant find brf. What about making my own? [Re: MAGICSNOOP]
    #1645334 - 06/19/03 03:33 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

would he have to adjust the water if he used a coffee grinder to grind it up into a flour-like substance? Or can he just go with the regular recipe?

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #1645434 - 06/19/03 04:01 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

hotrod said:
would he have to adjust the water if he used a coffee grinder to grind it up into a flour-like substance? Or can he just go with the regular recipe?

Regular recipe will work fine.

I used a coffee burr grinder when I used to make BRF jars.
Making your own flour is much cheaper.

good luck!

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinealphaking
Stranger
Male
Re: Cant find brf. What about making my own? [Re: Roadkill]
    #17859785 - 02/24/13 07:42 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

I grind my own then I sift the larger pieces out… then I grind the larger pieces some more..repeat

Offlinemrjim202000
 User Gallery

Re: Cant find brf. What about making my own? [Re: alphaking]
    #17859851 - 02/24/13 07:53 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

well to bump a 9 yr old thread .... but still if one person saw it ...

a  burr grinder is the way to go; a blade grinder may give people issues.

A blade grinder will likely need sifting but its cheaper a burr grinder will make a damn fine coffee (and flower) but will cost more. 
A noob will have to make that choice

Also try to learn from ... not reply to OLD threads  (we all did it at some point)

peace

--------------------
dont tell lies, there will be less to remember

Offlineshroomsisay
Stranger

Re: Cant find brf. What about making my own? [Re: mrjim202000]
    #17859935 - 02/24/13 08:03 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Look for "Alltrista1 Wide Mouth Canning Jars" 0.5 pint at walmart  I see them online so you may have to have them shipped to the store and pick them up.

--------------------
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

If your not living on the edge your taking up to much space!!

OfflineBadaboom
Traveler
Male

Loc: Central States
Re: Cant find brf. What about making my own? [Re: shroomsisay]
    #17859970 - 02/24/13 08:07 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

I made my own BUTTTTTTT STOP!! Get bran. I have just completed a massive study on key ingredients for shroom growth and development. A mix of Cilantro leaves (common house hold herb) and Rice Bran will yield you the most nutritious setting for the mycelium and fruiting shrooms.

1 part cilantro (for the thiamine/ b1 aka a root growth hormone), 3 parts rice bran (bran showing far superior marks in nutrients as compared to BRF) crushed or ground into a powder for a total of 4 parts.

The evidence I found concerning this matter is a part of a new Tek I have created and am currently testing. Read my sig for info

Edited by Badaboom (02/24/13 08:10 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag