Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleFungushungry
Addict

Loc: Whispering Winds
College
    #1642175 - 06/18/03 01:48 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Hello all.... most of you know im goin throu some ruff times in life atm.... i want to goto school.. but here's my problem... 1. i have no credit for student loan.. 2. i have no co signer for student loan.... 3. i dont have money for a down payment for student loan... i really just want to goto a tech school either for welding or computers im good at both but need that paper sayin i can so i can make a good living.. i really dont want to goto jobcorps there has to be an answer ... any help or suggestions?

--------------------
"Early man walked away
As modernman took control
There mind's weren't all the same
And to conquer was their goal
So he built his great empire
And he slaughtered his own kind
He died a confused man
And killed himself in his own mind"

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineWaveRider
In search ofWisdom

Loc: CANADA
Re: College [Re: Fungushungry]
    #1642213 - 06/18/03 02:06 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Are you in the states or Canada? In Canada, one does not need credit to be granted a student loan, the only thing they ask is that your annual income be $ 20,000.00 or less, and that you do not own a home or expensive car (most older models will not present a problem). Then they annalyse the amount of money they will give you. There are also other ways to acquire a loan for studies, most banks have programs in which a student can borrow the money necessary for the semester or term of studies. The problem with banks is that you do need a good credit standing and the total will be subject to interest (while a student loan is not subject to interest until the period of studies is complete, ie. the total number of year of studies). You might also want to see if the institution you are planning to go to offers student finnecial aid, most schools do and they also offer an aid for parents and mature students. You might want to check those out. I hope this post helps give you some ideas...
Good Luck!

--------------------
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer, the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear, permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it is gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path."

InvisibleFungushungry
Addict

Re: College [Re: WaveRider]
    #1642229 - 06/18/03 02:13 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

WaveRider said:
Are you in the states or Canada? In Canada, one does not need credit to be granted a student loan, the only thing they ask is that your annual income be $ 20,000.00 or less, and that you do not own a home or expensive car (most older models will not present a problem). Then they annalyse the amount of money they will give you. There are also other ways to acquire a loan for studies, most banks have programs in which a student can borrow the money necessary for the semester or term of studies. The problem with banks is that you do need a good credit standing and the total will be subject to interest (while a student loan is not subject to interest until the period of studies is complete, ie. the total number of year of studies). You might also want to see if the institution you are planning to go to offers student finnecial aid, most schools do and they also offer an aid for parents and mature students. You might want to check those out. I hope this post helps give you some ideas...
Good Luck!

Hey man im in the states... i make less than 20,000 and own a 1989 s10 <-- HELL YA.. anyways i tired one school of interest and they told me i had to have a co signer and i would have no problems.. my parents have no credit they dont believe in it.. (shitty i know) rest of my family doenst talk to me... i just want a "normal life" ..

--------------------
"Early man walked away
He died a confused man

OfflineWaveRider
In search ofWisdom

Loc: CANADA
    #1644730 - 06/19/03 02:23 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, I have no idea what it is lke in the states...I guess Canada offers a little more support for students then in the states. What about banks and personal loans? Is that not a possibility? If not then you might want to start building some credit, which can be as simple as getting a credit card (min. offered is usually $ 500.00). That way it might take you longer to get there but you will get there.
Hey you should also be sure that it is what you want to do. I am currently in colleege and I am seriously considering quiting and taking up studies in Herbology (not a per say a degree) and Holistic studies. Perphaps even become a yoga instructor. I don't know and when I made the decision to go to college I had all these illusions about what it would be like, now I am not sure that this is the right for me.

--------------------
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer, the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear, permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it is gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path."

Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
    #1645030 - 06/19/03 04:01 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

You should be eligible for a guaranteed student loan. (any citizen is)

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
    #1645709 - 06/19/03 07:33 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

You could always do a little time in the service, Army Reserve or whatnot and they'll pick up the tab on your education.  However, that would be quite a lifestyle influence if you decided to take that route - not that it would be a bad thing.  Military looks good on one's record... it ain't for me though.

Take to heart WaveRider's comment, "you should also be sure that it is what you want to do."  I'm entering into my third year of college in the fall, and I can't find a solid focus that actually motivates me toward a specific goal.  Don't get me wrong, I love learning and expanding my knowledge base -- but here's some food for thought:  Five of the six degree holders in my family do not use their degree for their job/occupation.  It's a nice piece of paper to have to fall back on, and it'll surely give you some extra starting pay if you have a specific field of interest you plan on working in... but do give it some thought.  You don't want to spend four years rackin' up debt and then find out that you still don't know what you're doing :crazy:

Life is ridiculous sometimes :tongue:

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

InvisibleFrozenHappiness
Professional Cereal Box

Loc: Nagoon Lagoon
Re: College [Re: geokills]
    #1647312 - 06/20/03 06:36 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I had was in the same predicament so I joined the navy, Im almost half way done with my term. So far it has been the wost and best experience of my life. The service is a hell of a life style change and a hell of a sacrifice and is not for everybody, it certianly isnt for me but I manage.

--------------------

Offlinemr_kite
The Watcher
Male

Loc: shambhala
Re: College [Re: FrozenHappiness]
    #1647444 - 06/20/03 08:03 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I guess I'm really lucky... I live in Scotland and we get all our tuition fees paid for us, so we just have to worry about accomodation fees. And if you stay at home... anything you earn is yours to save! Or blow on weed and beer.

All that happens is that when we're employed (after our degrees) and when we start earning over ?20,000 or so a year, we pay a certain amount back into the system for four years. I reckon that's a damn good system, cause i hear so many stories from friends about going down to England for university and then getting hugely into debt... I guess its even worse in the US.

Anywhy why not come to Scotland for your degree?? If nothing else, the liberty caps are nice in October :smile::)

--------------------
let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love

InvisibleFungushungry
Addict

Re: College [Re: mr_kite]
    #1648083 - 06/20/03 02:25 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Already tried the army...fuck them bastards i got a discharge... i got a couple options in my town something about goverment paid programs i dunno i hope i can find something.. fuckin usa!... i would love to come to scotland send me a ticket  :rolleyes:

--------------------
"Early man walked away
He died a confused man

Invisibledownforpot
Stranger
Male
    #1648208 - 06/20/03 03:04 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Im joing the army after Im done with school but I really want to go to a party college and fuck every nice looking chick and get drunk. What do you think? Should I first join the army and then college or the other way around?

--------------------

http://www.myspace.com/4th25

"And I don't care if he was handcuffed
Then shot in his head
All I know is dead bodies
Can't fuck with me again"

InvisibleFungushungry
Addict

Re: College [Re: downforpot]
    #1648233 - 06/20/03 03:15 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Fuck the army :smile:

--------------------
"Early man walked away
He died a confused man

Jump to top. Pages: 1