Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleGravija
Make way for the cavalcade
Male User Gallery

Loc: Chicago, Illinois, USA
Trusted Identifier
Re: Mushroom Photography Tips [Re: Stopwhispering]
    #16364864 - 06/11/12 08:24 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I've yet to try a reversing ring, but Ive taken quite a few shots with extension tubes. I would save my $ and get a real macro lens, hungry. Specifically the 100mm 2.8 that SW suggested.

From what I can gather, the MP-E would be pretty much useless for all but the very smallest mushrooms. It's begging magnification is 1:1 and it only gets closer from there!

--------------------
Listen to my music

Here

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblehungrygoldfish
Male User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
Re: Mushroom Photography Tips [Re: Stopwhispering]
    #16366464 - 06/11/12 04:12 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Stopwhispering said:
This is the one I use it is an excellent lens, but still a bit above your price range.

I just bought it! I've been thinking about getting a macro lens for ages now and I'm going to be using it so much anyway.

The next thing on my list to get is a neutral density filter- there seem to be quite a range of prices...

--------------------
Come and visit my Photography Forum on the Shroomery!

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Trusted Identifier
Re: Mushroom Photography Tips [Re: Gravija]
    #16366596 - 06/11/12 04:52 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Gravija said:
From what I can gather, the MP-E would be pretty much useless for all but the very smallest mushrooms. It's begging magnification is 1:1 and it only gets closer from there!

I looked at that lens and came to that conclusion as well.  Also with that lens, a ring flash would be required for most mushroom photography since you have to be really close and there isn't always a lot of light in deep woods.  I think a good 50mm or 100mm macro lens would be a better choice.  You don't want _only_ a macro lens though - If you are just going to have one lens, get something like the Canon 18-200 zoom lenses, which are great and versatile as well, with good performance both for macro shots and for more standard zoomed-out photography.  If you already have something like an 18-72mm kit lens, a macro lens would be a good choice.

OfflineSmokeandtoke
NoddyNeddy
Male

Loc: adelaide Flag
Re: Mushroom Photography Tips [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #16402404 - 06/19/12 07:54 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I currently have a Canon 1000 E i believe but the macro isn;'t the best and i'm a broke student so a fancy new lens is out of the question but i've seen some small disc like clip on macro filters.

What i was wondering was if anyone has used them before, i really want to learn more photography before spending 300 on a macro lens.

S&T

--------------------
"There's a natural mystic blowing through the air,
If you listen carefully now you will hear..."

Smoke&Toke is nothing more than a fictional online personality for entertainment purposes only, and all dialogue typed should be considered fictional.

Offlinesuchen
Once and Future Noob
Male User Gallery

Loc: Shangri-la
Trusted Identifier
Re: Mushroom Photography Tips [Re: Smokeandtoke]
    #16405437 - 06/19/12 06:55 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

You might be able to get some good shots with such a setup, but depth of field will likely be very poor meaning obtaining a photo that is not blurry will be more difficult. Also, the photo quality will only be as good as the lens/filter combo you throw on there so if it's poor quality clip-on then your photos will suffer. It might be worth a try though depending on just how cheap you can make it happen. :cheers:

--------------------
Rod Tulloss said:

The bulb is the bulb.

The volva is the volva.

They have a very long term realtionship, but they’re “just friends.”

Invisiblehungrygoldfish
Male User Gallery

#16419967 - 06/22/12 11:07 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

My macro lens still hasn't arrived yet- getting impatient now :mad:

I did just order a new camera to go with the lens though- it's a Canon EOS 7D!!!

--------------------

InvisibleGravija
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Mushroom Photography Tips [Re: hungrygoldfish]
    #16420016 - 06/22/12 11:17 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Dammmmmmnnnnn dude. Can't wait to see what that does for your photography! The 7D is bad as hell!

--------------------
Listen to my music

Here

Invisiblehungrygoldfish
Male User Gallery

#16420332 - 06/22/12 12:43 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I got an amazon credit card when I was looking for my macro lens- I just kind of maxed it out, I bought another lens and some filters and stuff with my new camera (Interest free for 13 months) :grin:

I'm really enjoying taking pictures with my camera and editing them etc so I thought why not do it properly...next stage is to get my photoshop skills good.

--------------------

InvisibleGravija
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #16420436 - 06/22/12 01:10 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

My sister is a professional photographer. She showed me how to use PhotoShop yesterday... So so so cool. Layers are so useful! I've always wanted away to expose particular elements without brightening the entire pic. And the clone tool is just amazing...

I applaud your decision! My wife would decapitate me.

--------------------
Listen to my music

Here

Invisiblehungrygoldfish
Male User Gallery

#16420899 - 06/22/12 02:46 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

If you have your own money just buy what you want and tell your wife to accept your decision!

I've been using abode lightroom until recently which is also really great but I like using layers in photoshop, I've downloaded quite a few tutorials on it...lynda.com is a good site for tutorials...the photography ones are quite good.

--------------------

InvisibleGravija
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #16420945 - 06/22/12 03:00 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

:lol: you aren't married, are you? I
'm saving up for it. Wifes a teacher- teacher/student edition ftw!

I'll check out that site, thx for the tip!

--------------------
Listen to my music

Here

Invisiblehungrygoldfish
Male User Gallery

#16420961 - 06/22/12 03:04 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Not married yet but living with my girlfriend (am saving up for it but keep spending my money on camera stuff :smile:).

I just say stuff like: 'when we have children we won't be able to afford to buy expensive stuff so we might as well buy it now we have the chance'...that seems to work :laugh:.

--------------------

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Trusted Identifier
    #16421006 - 06/22/12 03:17 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

If I bought a new camera and my wife/girlfriend got mad about it I would totally kick her to the curb and get a new one.

Life is too short to go through it with subpar photography equipment.

Invisiblehungrygoldfish
Male User Gallery

#16421305 - 06/22/12 04:15 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

My girlfriend was ok when I told her that I bought a new camera I even gave her my EOS 1100D...she's great.

--------------------

Invisiblemaynardjameskeenan
The white stipes
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 'Merica
Trusted Identifier
    #16421400 - 06/22/12 04:33 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
If I bought a new camera and my wife/girlfriend got mad about it I would totally kick her to the curb and get a new one.

Life is too short to go through it with subpar photography equipment.

:rofl: :lol: I am starting to realize your priories in life :thumbup: :congrats:

--------------------
May you be filled with loving kindness.
May you be well.
May you be peaceful and at ease.
May you be happy.

AMU Q&A

InvisibleGravija
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #16421637 - 06/22/12 05:31 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

hungrygoldfish said:
I even gave her my EOS 1100D...she's great.

Smart man :thumbup:

I'm going to upgrade to a t4 later this year. When I do, I'll try to sell my xti to someone here, on the super-cheap.

--------------------
Listen to my music

Here

Invisiblehungrygoldfish
Male User Gallery

#16424134 - 06/23/12 03:15 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

My new camera just arrived- I ordered it at 16:00 yesterday and it arrived at 10:00 today- now that's fast! However they sent me the wrong type of memory card- I ordered CF and they sent me SD...:mad:

I also don't think that my macro lens is coming anytime soon, I've been waiting ages now and the seller on amazon is getting quite some negative feedback on his page for the last week or so, I sent him an email last night demanding a refund if he hasn't sent it out yet as it's been well over a week since he claimed he sent it and he's obviously lying, I'd rather pay extra and get it directly from amazon and get next day delivery.

Quote:

I'll try to sell my xti to someone here, on the super-cheap.

Sell it for what it's worth, don't cut yourself short, you can use the money to pay for your new camera or some extra equipment. My experience of selling things below market value to help people out has resulted in the other person selling on the equipment for what it's worth and making a profit (this wasn't camera stuff though).

InvisibleLiberty King
Liberty Seeker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada's Darkside NS
    #16730740 - 08/20/12 10:25 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Hey guys... So I see you all have great cameras that put me to shame :frown:
I have a Canon Powershot A3300 IS that I bought last yeah but I'm not at all impressed with the Macro. I only bought it because I was using my Gf's Canon Powershot A460, which is old as the hills, but takes great macro shots. I assumed a newer powershot would be better. :facepalm:
Her old poweshot has a setting called super-macro which I guess may be the difference!
Do any of you know a decent Camera that I can use for P.Semilanceata photos, without buying a Macro lense for it? I'm really hoping to stay in the 200$ range so an SLR is outta my league... any help is appreciated... even if it's just some tips to help me use my A3300 because my macro are always blurry!

(If you would like me to start my own thread Please delete this... I've done that before but thought I may get more responses here)

Thanks in advance to anyone who offers suggestions :grin:

--------------------

InvisibleThe Lightning
Mycology Enthusiast
 User Gallery

Re: Mushroom Photography Tips [Re: Liberty King]
    #16730778 - 08/20/12 10:32 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

The difference between a blurry shot with your current camera (and many others) may be the difference in the physical distance from the mushroom collection.

Every collection requires adjustments.

Try standing three feet from the collection, and adjust the zoom to two different settings. See which works best.

Then try standing four feet from the collection, and again switch the zoom.

Also, always shoot with the flash on, unless the flash is blurry.

InvisibleRan-D
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
Re: Mushroom Photography Tips [Re: The Lightning]
    #16732216 - 08/20/12 02:57 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Liberty King said:
So I see you all have great cameras that put me to shame :frown:
I have a Canon Powershot A3300 IS that I bought last yeah but I'm not at all impressed with the Macro.

I use the exact same camera, I've found that the quality is surprisingly good for such a cheap camera. I even had somebody ask what kind of lens I was using :lol:

Quote:

gsharpnolack said:
The difference between a blurry shot with your current camera (and many others) may be the difference in the physical distance from the mushroom collection.

Every collection requires adjustments.

Try standing three feet from the collection, and adjust the zoom to two different settings. See which works best.

Then try standing four feet from the collection, and again switch the zoom.

Also, always shoot with the flash on, unless the flash is blurry.

With this specific camera I actually avoid using the zoom and the flash, but then I'm just going by which pictures of mine have turned out better I have little to no knowledge of how cameras are designed to function.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next >

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder