Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinekukusz
Owner of belowhot monkey!

Loc: East Coast
honey tek - think I'm there?
    #1641279 - 06/18/03 02:41 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Hi, my friend's honey tek jar has some white stuff floating around with little tiny black dots in it. He assumes that it is the spores (which were visible when he innoculated the jar) surrounded by mycelium. In any case, he is wondering how big and how much of the mycelium he should wait for until he innoculates some quarts of popcorn with it...?

--------------------
All of my posts are for discussion purposes only. All posts concerning cultivation of mushrooms refer to legal gourmet mushrooms only. Yes, I support monkey-human relationships.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: NSW, Australia.
Re: honey tek - think I'm there? [Re: kukusz]
    #1641394 - 06/18/03 04:07 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

In the photographs I've seen, there's huge blobs of mycelium floating in the water. Check out the pictures in the honey tek link in that other honey tek post. :confused: confused?

Anyway, I also read that when you pull the honey water into the syringe, you should be able to clearly see little specs of white fluff floating around in it.

Offlinekukusz

Re: honey tek - think I'm there? [Re: oO_wombat_Oo]
    #1641397 - 06/18/03 04:08 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

cool, thanks... yeah I searched a little for honey tek posts and there are like 5 a day, my head started to hurt. Huge blobs is descriptive enough for me!

--------------------
All of my posts are for discussion purposes only. All posts concerning cultivation of mushrooms refer to legal gourmet mushrooms only. Yes, I support monkey-human relationships.

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #1641415 - 06/18/03 04:24 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

The basics: optimal ratio 4% honey/sugar and 96% water. For 100ml of water this is about 8 grams of honey. Even simpler, for 100ml of water use ~1 tbsp of honey. I use 1/2 pint jars. You can use a regular metal lid and band and pop a nail hole in the lid or use a plastic lid with a septa port (for syringes, self-healing). If you use the metal lid just put a couple pieces of duct tape over the hole. Put the water in HOT. This helps the honey mix in. Drop in 2 marbles (used to break up mycelium). Add the honey. Close jars and shake till well mixed (no unmixed honey, will look like very light piss). PC at 15 pi1 for 10-15 minutes (not too long or sugar carmelizes). Let cool. Innoculate. If using metal lids with duct-taped holes make sure you have a piece of duct tape handy to cover the hole immediatley after innoculation. Incubate. Check/Shake every 24 hours. Should be ready within 3 days of innoculation. 4 at most. Use what you need and refrigerate the rest. You can keep a culture alive for a very long time like this. Makeup some syringes full of sterile water so you shoot the water into the jar and then suck it back up. This way the jar really never runs out. When the culture starts to wear thin (usually around 10 syringes for 100ml of culture) just use one the culture syringes to innoculate a fresh jar of honey water. Also, healthy mycelium in honey water looks somewhat like stringy cotton and will break up rather easily (don't forget those marbles!). Contams are powdery and sit on the bottom and kick up like a dust cloud when shaken. Hope that helps

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Anonymous

Re: honey tek - think I'm there? [Re: Magash]
    #1641433 - 06/18/03 04:35 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i forgot my marbles!!! as funny as it sounds i hope everything will be ok. could i crack the top and put them in using oven tek or should i just leave it alone?

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: honey tek - think I'm there? [Re: four20snakeman]
    #1641436 - 06/18/03 04:36 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Leave it alone it can still work fine.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #1641438 - 06/18/03 04:38 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

First, I'd just like to add a pretty lame little tip that I thought. Put the honey into the empty, washed jar, then pour boiling water directly into the jar. This not only instantly disolves and mixes the honey, you can also be sure there are no contams in the water.

....anyhoo...

Magash,
That does help, but the honey tek site from the other post said ~1tbsp honey for a pint. You say ~1tbsp honey for 100ml, which if only about 1/5th of a pint (going off the top of my head by comparing a 375ml beer bottle to the pint glasses I get at the local watering hole).

I hope mine works. I put a large blob of honey - not quite a tablespoon full - into 400ml of water. Should I start again? Damn, they're already innoculated too.

Edited by oO_wombat_Oo (06/18/03 04:38 AM)

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #1641450 - 06/18/03 04:50 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

No I'm half asleep sounds like your doing fine go by the look of it, if it looks like light piss your fine. The basics: optimal ratio 4% honey/sugar and 96% water.

--------------------

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #1641466 - 06/18/03 05:09 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, looks like light piss. Maybe "white wine" would be a less crude way of putting it LOL :laugh:

Anyhoo, I forgot the marbles too - they weren't specified in the tek and I actually thought of that independently after I had already innoculated them.

Oh well, screw it. It's more an experiment that anything else. :smile:

Thanks for the info, Magash.

Nice avatar, but I think mine is much more horny.

Offlinekukusz

#1641744 - 06/18/03 10:31 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for all the responses. I had one question/comment - isn't the powdery stuff at the bottom of the jar not contam, isn't it just protein? I thought "contam" was hopefully not in the jar and if it was you wouldn't be able to use the jar at all?

--------------------

OfflinePsilocybin_monkey
Shroomer

Loc: Dragon's Den
    #1646650 - 06/20/03 01:31 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

yeah the black dots in the middle are the sopre that germinated and the floaties on the bottoms are surgars from what it sounds like and I did a honey tek awhile a go but it took a alot longer then 5 days(it took around 5 days before I could see hyphae) too get alot of mycelium i think it was around 2 weeks and I never got as much mycelium as it show in the picture for the honey tek but the mycelium stoped spreading out so i put it in the fridge.I still got a good amout of syringes out of it so i was happy with it.

--------------------
Welcome to my world!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation