Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Anonymous

Not voting
    #1640590 - 06/17/03 07:56 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I'm bringing this up because Azmodeus mentioned it in another post (but is not directed at you, A), and I'm referring to the United States here but can be applied to any other democratic republic as well.

I don't understand how you could possibly refuse to exercise your right to vote as some sort of "protest." All your "protest" is doing is saying that you don't care who runs this country. You might as well move to a country where you have no say in who your leaders are. Dislike for the two major parties is NOT a reason not to vote. There are 3rd parties to vote for (the first two which come to mind are the Libertarians and the Greens). I'm not sure what the numbers are exactly but at least 30% of the population (and that's a conservative figure) with voting rights did NOT vote in the last presidential election. Thirty fucking percent! That's a hell of a lot of people. Imagine if 30% of eligible voters voted for the same third party presidential candidate. The other two parties would have some major competition on their hands. That competition might actually spur discussion on ignored issues as well (ie. the War on Some Drugs).

Yes, I can hear you now. "One vote doesn't matter, it won't make a difference." The only reason it doesn't make a difference is because everyone else who doesn't vote is thinking the same thing! Pennies add up to dollars. Votes add up too. People fought and died for your right to vote for your government representatives, and you're just going to ignore that right? Please give this issue more consideration next time elections roll around, especially for 2004. If you don't like the state the country is in, then use your voice and at least TRY to make a difference! This is the easiest way to change things. Revolution works too, but that option is much harder and unfortunately in this day and age you'll probably be labeled a terrorist for plotting to overthrow the government. :rolleyes: I digress... People vote for the lesser of two evils simply because they don't have the balls to take a chance and vote honestly for the candidate they see as the best. They are simply doing what it takes to keep the "other guy" out of office. This is ridiculous and cowardly. Unfornately many people think this way when they head for the polls. It's a sad situation, really.

Local elections also matter! Don't neglect them. They "add up" in a way too. Change comes slow in a representative government, but change on a local level is much faster than at the federal level.

Anyway, I also stand by the saying that if you didn't vote, you don't have a right to complain!     

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCornholio
A liberal guy(on hiatus)

Loc: Austin, TX
Re: Not voting [Re: ]
    #1640678 - 06/17/03 08:34 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I couln't agree with you more!  :thumbup: 

--------------------

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1
    #1640772 - 06/17/03 09:04 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Nicely put, MaxHeadroom! And may I add that it was people not voting that put that idiot Bush in office in the first place! :frown: 

OfflineDailyPot
Trip'n Time

Loc: Florida
Re: Not voting [Re: Le_Canard]
    #1641072 - 06/17/03 11:03 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Its so true. In fact if teens and early twentiers voted drugs would probably be legal already. Youngings make up one of the biggest population segments but one of the smallest voting ones. Politicians care about the votes...and old people vote ALOT :mad:

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
    #1641092 - 06/17/03 11:09 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I have no problems with the low voter turnouts. If someone doesn't care enough to inform themselves and know something about who and what they are voting for they should not vote.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

OfflineSev
Astropath
Loc: NY
Re: Not voting [Re: DailyPot]
    #1641093 - 06/17/03 11:09 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Seriously. If you want to send a message, at least vote for the Marijuana party aor something, so they get funding.

--------------------
"Do we want the stars? We can have them. Can we borrow cups of fire from the sun? We can and must and light the world." --"On the Shoulders of Giants", Ray Bradbury

All of my posts are full of fiction and blatant lies.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom