Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineSoftmachinethird
Stranger
 User Gallery
linkage between the use of Psilocybin Mushrooms and development of Schizophrenia and other illnesses
    #13919568 - 02/07/11 03:44 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Dear Community,

Is there anybody out there that can inform me whether or not there a link between the use of Psilocybin Mushrooms and the development of Schizophrenia and other mental illnesses?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

Re: linkage between the use of Psilocybin Mushrooms and development of Schizophrenia and other illnesses [Re: Softmachinethird]
    #13919586 - 02/07/11 03:59 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

According to some studies, it can cause latent issues to arise, though I would hesitate to classify the majority of post trip symptoms with a clinical term like that. Depends on what is being experienced. Care to give more information?

--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love truth awareness peace

"The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." - Gilbert Keith Chesterton

Offlinenesm
Stranger

Re: linkage between the use of Psilocybin Mushrooms and development of Schizophrenia and other illnesses [Re: Rahz]
    #13919606 - 02/07/11 04:22 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

On a purely mental level - it depends on your psychology. If a latent issue arises during the trip and you focus on & get sucked into the problematic scope of the issue, then you might well leave the trip with that problematic issue at the forefront of your thinking.

OfflineSoftmachinethird
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: linkage between the use of Psilocybin Mushrooms and development of Schizophrenia and other illnesses [Re: nesm]
    #13925145 - 02/08/11 12:03 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Well, I suppose what I am asking is there a correlation between Schizophrenia or psychosis and the use of Psilocybin. I have yet to use Psilocybin Mushrooms, I am eager to do so. My family does not have a history of Schizophrenia or psychosis. I am just considered I may develop some mental disorder. I am actually a pretty inexperienced drug user, as far as psychedelics. Im well acquainted  with our good friend Mary Jane. I have consumed alcohol on several occoniasion, though I do not appreciate the effects of alcohol intoxication. Technically speaking, DMT has been in my system on the basis that pineal gland releases small amounts. Do think this is a legitimate concern? is there a correlation?

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

Re: linkage between the use of Psilocybin Mushrooms and development of Schizophrenia and other illnesses [Re: Softmachinethird]
    #13925185 - 02/08/11 12:12 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Softmachinethird said:
Technically speaking, DMT has been in my system on the basis that pineal gland releases small amounts.

This is unfounded speculation FYI.  On topic, if you have no history in your family of mental illness and you're in a stable mind-set (not feeling depressed or manic) then you ought to be fine with a low dose.  :thumbup:

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Offlinecircastes
Big Questions Small Head
Male User Gallery

Loc: straya Flag
Re: linkage between the use of Psilocybin Mushrooms and development of Schizophrenia and other illnesses [Re: deCypher]
    #13925457 - 02/08/11 01:21 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

IME mental issues disappeared after mushroom use.

--------------------
My solitude...
My shield...
My armour...

TESTED
WITH
FULL
FORCE

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #13925699 - 02/08/11 03:26 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Softmachinethird said:
Well, I suppose what I am asking is there a correlation between Schizophrenia or psychosis and the use of Psilocybin. I have yet to use Psilocybin Mushrooms, I am eager to do so. My family does not have a history of Schizophrenia or psychosis. I am just considered I may develop some mental disorder. I am actually a pretty inexperienced drug user, as far as psychedelics. Im well acquainted  with our good friend Mary Jane. I have consumed alcohol on several occoniasion, though I do not appreciate the effects of alcohol intoxication. Technically speaking, DMT has been in my system on the basis that pineal gland releases small amounts. Do think this is a legitimate concern? is there a correlation?

Fear is a very normal reaction to the unknown. I'm always nervous a little when taking the dose and I've tripped literally hundreds of times.  It sounds like your just scared.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: SF Bay Area Flag
Re: linkage between the use of Psilocybin Mushrooms and development of Schizophrenia and other illne [Re: circastes]
    #13927281 - 02/08/11 01:05 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

circastes said:
IME mental issues disappeared after mushroom use.

All of them? :rolleyes:

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

OfflineKickleM
Wanderer
 User Gallery

Re: linkage between the use of Psilocybin Mushrooms and development of Schizophrenia and other illnesses [Re: Icelander]
    #13927333 - 02/08/11 01:18 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
Quote:

Softmachinethird said:

Fear is a very normal reaction to the unknown. I'm always nervous a little when taking the dose and I've tripped literally hundreds of times.  It sounds like your just scared.

This.

And the correlation is that some individuals have experienced schizophrenic symptoms after ingesting a psychedelic substance. Those who persist in the symptoms have been found to have all the neurological markers of schizophrenia, suggesting that the psychedelic acted as a catalyst, or trigger. There are other suspected catalysts as well, and they typically revolve around stress. The death of a loved one, the loss of a job and financial strain are some examples. The theory is that the pathology exists from birth and requires a trigger before symptoms manifest.

Whether or not that theory is accurate, I dunno. Schizophrenia is a pretty ill-understood disorder. There is evidence to suggest that something like this is going on. And it is this theory that leads to the belief that if your family history is free from the disorder, there is little chance of having the genetic predisposition that is required for a psychedelic triggering. It's important to note that stress can bring up a lot of latent issues, regardless.

The available research on psychedelics suggests that negative outcomes are rare. Follow ups on the negative outcomes have thus far revealed no lasting ill-effects. All recent research has been completed with subjects that pass psychological assessment and have no family history of schizophrenia.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: linkage between the use of Psilocybin Mushrooms and development of Schizophrenia and other illnesses [Re: Kickle]
    #13932070 - 02/09/11 05:06 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

this bugs me
Quote:

The theory is that the pathology exists from birth and requires a trigger before symptoms manifest.

a) it is not a pathology.
b) how can "the pathology" be assigned to the moment of birth.

yet it is a "common understanding" like "in god we trust"

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

Re: linkage between the use of Psilocybin Mushrooms and development of Schizophrenia and other illnesses [Re: redgreenvines]
    #13932790 - 02/09/11 10:08 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

How is schizophrenia not a pathology?  :confused:

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: SF Bay Area Flag
Re: linkage between the use of Psilocybin Mushrooms and development of Schizophrenia and other illnesses [Re: redgreenvines]
    #13932911 - 02/09/11 10:43 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

redgreenvines said:
this bugs me
Quote:

The theory is that the pathology exists from birth and requires a trigger before symptoms manifest.

b) how can "the pathology" be assigned to the moment of birth.

What do you mean by this? He's not saying that it somehow magically appears at the moment of birth, he's just saying that it exists from birth.

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Offlinethizzymonkey
Stranger
    #16403787 - 06/19/12 01:47 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I have some background with this subject in relation to mushrooms.  A very close friend of mine who had a very minor case of schizophrenia started selling shrooms in the town we lived in.  Before this happened he was an incredibly social person and everyone in our highschool loved his personality.  As he started selling shrooms he got into the habit of sticking around and taking them with the people he was selling them to.  He ended up eating about an ounce over the course of one week in 3 different trip sessions.  After the 3rd time he completely lost his ability to socially interact with anybody.. even his own family.  He started avoiding all of his friends and was never comfortable leaving his own house.  We were all incredibly worried about him because it seemed that he had become a completely different person.  He lost the ability to communicate with another person. He couldn't form full sentences and when he would speak it came out as complete nonsense. "that girl has a purple brain and that girl has a striped brain!" things like that.  Its been over 3 years since he took that last dose of mushrooms and it really hurts me to say that he couldn't afford to live in his apartment due to lack of funds.  I've recently learned that hes homeless now and its hard to imagine that my old best friend is another crazy homeless person spewing nonsense on a street corner but thats the sad reality.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: linkage between the use of Psilocybin Mushrooms and development of Schizophrenia and other illnesses [Re: thizzymonkey]
    #16404389 - 06/19/12 03:45 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

That my friend is the spiritual power of shrooms at work.  Isn't enlightenment fun? :haha:

Everyone must take them. :monkeydance:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Invisibledustinthewind13
Fool
 User Gallery

Loc: Being a burden
Re: linkage between the use of Psilocybin Mushrooms and development of Schizophrenia and other illnesses [Re: deCypher]
    #16405013 - 06/19/12 05:39 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

deCypher said:
Quote:

Softmachinethird said:
Technically speaking, DMT has been in my system on the basis that pineal gland releases small amounts.

This is unfounded speculation FYI.  On topic, if you have no history in your family of mental illness and you're in a stable mind-set (not feeling depressed or manic) then you ought to be fine with a low dose.  :thumbup:

The fact that DMT is endogenously produced by the pineal gland might be mere speculation, but there seems to be evidence that DMT is in fact endogenously produced. This article even claims that DMT may in fact help rather than worsen psychosis.

"The presence of the potent hallucinogenic psychoactive chemical N,N-dimethyltryptamine (DMT) in the human body has puzzled scientists for decades. Endogenous DMT was investigated in the 1960s and 1970s and it was proposed that DMT was involved in psychosis and schizophrenia. This hypothesis developed from comparisons of the blood and urine of schizophrenic and control subjects. However, much of this research proved inconclusive and conventional thinking has since held that trace levels of DMT, and other endogenous psychoactive tryptamines, are insignificant metabolic byproducts. The recent discovery of a G-protein-coupled, human trace amine receptor has triggered a reappraisal of the role of compounds present in limited concentrations in biological systems. Interestingly enough, DMT and other psychoactive tryptamine hallucinogens elicit a robust response at the trace amine receptor. While it is currently accepted that serotonin 5-HT2A receptors play a pivotal role in the activity of hallucinogenic/psychedelic compounds, we propose that the effects induced by exogenous DMT administration, especially at low doses, are due in part to activity at the trace amine receptor. Furthermore, we suggest that endogenous DMT interacts with the TA receptor to produce a calm and relaxed mental state, which may suppress, rather than promote, symptoms of psychosis. This hypothesis may help explain the inconsistency in the early analysis of endogenous DMT in humans. Finally, we propose that amphetamine action at the TA receptor may contribute to the calming effects of amphetamine and related drugs, especially at low doses."

Linky

--------------------
"It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and forget his own." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

"A room without books is like a body without a soul."  - Marcus Tullius Cicero

"Do not bite at the bait of pleasure, till you know there is no hook beneath it." -Thomas Jefferson

OfflineJwlst
Stranger

Re: linkage between the use of Psilocybin Mushrooms and development of Schizophrenia and other illnesses [Re: Icelander]
    #16405067 - 06/19/12 05:50 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Bad side effects from a hallucinogen? I don't believe it, he must not have been an authentic shaman like me.

OfflineFreedom
Pigment of your imagination
Male User Gallery

Re: linkage between the use of Psilocybin Mushrooms and development of Schizophrenia and other illnesses [Re: dustinthewind13]
    #16405172 - 06/19/12 06:08 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

that article is also unfounded speculation. more unfounded speculation says 'endogenous' dmt binds to the sigma receptor :shrug:

Invisibledustinthewind13
Fool
 User Gallery

Re: linkage between the use of Psilocybin Mushrooms and development of Schizophrenia and other illnesses [Re: Freedom]
    #16405206 - 06/19/12 06:15 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Freedom said:
that article is also unfounded speculation. more unfounded speculation says 'endogenous' dmt binds to the sigma receptor :shrug:

So there is no proof that DMT occurs endogenously in the human body?

--------------------
"It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and forget his own." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

"Do not bite at the bait of pleasure, till you know there is no hook beneath it." -Thomas Jefferson

OfflineFreedom
Pigment of your imagination
Male User Gallery

Re: linkage between the use of Psilocybin Mushrooms and development of Schizophrenia and other illnesses [Re: dustinthewind13]
    #16405484 - 06/19/12 07:06 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I shouldn't say unfounded, but it is speculation that endogenous dmt (which has been found endogenously in multiple studies) has a biological role in binding to the trace amine receptor or the sigma receptor (or serotonin receptors) in the brain.

part of the problem with this is the enzyme that is thought to make the dmt hasn't been found in the brain. so if dmt is signaling to the brain it would probably have to be released into the blood or cerbrial spinal fluid.

if dmt has some kind of normal function this way, an interesting study would be to block the n-methyltransferase and see if it has any change on attention or anxiety or dreaming or any other activity dmt is thought to have a role in.

Invisibledustinthewind13
Fool
 User Gallery

Re: linkage between the use of Psilocybin Mushrooms and development of Schizophrenia and other illnesses [Re: Freedom]
    #16405518 - 06/19/12 07:13 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

That's better. :tongue:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag