Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous

Problem with grain jars
    #1640273 - 06/17/03 07:14 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

hello,

I have done the PFtek with ease.  ok anyway,

I am patient guy, but this is the 4th time I have had problems with grain. Each time its the same reasons. I am finally posting to get some advice.

Well then, I tried 3 jars of rye grain. I put it in water over the stove the kept it on low until all the grains were saturated. Only a couple of the grains popped.  I then rinsed out all grain. I then place them in my pressure cooker and sterilize for 60 min. When I took out the jars they looked dry on the top and moist on the bottom of the jar. I proceeded to shake the jars then placed them in my oven overnight to cool down(note: grain looks dry after shake). In the morning I used a 1/2 spore syringe on 2 jars, and 1/2 mycelium syringe in one jar(note: still looks dry). I placed a filter on the lids so I can get air exchange.

Then, I placed them in a incubator that is only heated by the air in my closet. The temp doesn't get above 85F. There is no growth anywhere. I wouldn't even mind a contam just to see something grow. It has been 2 week now. :frown:

My problem I think is that the grains are drying out.

I know the spores were good, because I have 1/2 pint jars that are doing fine with the same spore syringes. The teks in the shroomery haven't helped much in answer my questions.

I made 3 more jars and the same thing is happening. I filled the jars with water then pressure cooked to help with saturation, but no luck. They stuck together, they are saturated but getting drier by the day and no colonization on any of my quart jars.

Is there a tip someone can give to help?
Each day they just get dryer. :frown:
I have the cultivation book but that hasn't help either.

peace

zerohero

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineEvilGir
Im the on coming storm

Loc: Planet Irk
Re: Problem with grain jars [Re: ]
    #1640319 - 06/17/03 07:44 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I would simmer the grain in hot water for about 1 hour then leave it overnight. Next I would drain all the water makeing sure they where just damp to the touch and not wet. Then I would put the grain in the jars and P.c as normal. If this fails i would add a small amount of Dextrose sugar or malt ti the water you are simmering the grains in. It could just be there is not enough water content.

--------------------
Fighting the man the best way I can.

Invisiblecalicyco

Re: Problem with grain jars [Re: EvilGir]
    #1640420 - 06/17/03 08:47 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Just soak the grain for 24-36 hours then pressure cook for 90 minutes. After 24 hours or so, the grain will be at optimal moisture content.

How are you doing the lids? You dont want too much air exchange. Just drill a hole about 3/8" to 1/2" diameter in the lid and glue a filter over that. That should keep the air from drying out. Be sure to use good filter material that doesn't breath too much, ie. dont use coffee filters but use tyvek or a filter disc cut into sections.

The fact that you are seeing wetter kernels on the bottom of the jar and dryer ones on top is a concern. You shouldn't see that after pressure cooking if the grain already has proper water content. And in the time it takes to colonize the grain shouldn't dry out.

Anonymous

Re: Problem with grain jars [Re: calicyco]
    #1640561 - 06/17/03 09:47 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I have been using coffee filters as air exchange.

there are 4 holes about 1/8 inch diameter.

I will try soaking. thanks

I have used 2 pressure cookers and both have tha same reasult. I even lay them on their side in the PC to see it it would help. No luck!!!

Is using sugar a good idea? Will that really work? :ooo:

peace

zerohero

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation