Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Boomr Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinericky
Stranger
Central Florida/Cubensis/Horse Manure?
    #1638732 - 06/17/03 01:10 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

hello everyone. i'm new here..i live in central florida (melbourne), any others here? (send me a pm)..here's my problem: i've read on the internet a hundred times that psilocybe cubensis grows on both cow and horse manure. i know a little park (that's public) that is littered with horse patties..so i'm thinking i'm in luck. then a few friends say they heard that cubensis found growing on horse manure is not potent (doesn't "work" in getting you high). can anyone clarify this?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Central Florida/Cubensis/Horse Manure? [Re: ricky]
    #1638753 - 06/17/03 01:19 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

It's in the genetics of Psilocybe cubensis to produce psilocybin. What kind of manure it grows from shouldn't make any difference(not any noticable difference, at least). They really favor cow manure the most but it's definately not impossible to find them on horse manure.

Just a quick tip: read the new forum rules thread... Could save you and me some trouble in the future(you vaguely asked for a hunting partner).

Offlinericky
Stranger
Re: Central Florida/Cubensis/Horse Manure? [Re: Gumby]
    #1638763 - 06/17/03 01:25 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

i didn't ask "for a hunting partner", i just wanted to see if there was anyone else on here located in my area. thank you for replying, and sorry if i broke a rule..

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1638781 - 06/17/03 01:34 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I never said you did... It was a vague reference that could be construed as asking for a hunting partner.
Perhaps I'm just over analyzing things.
It's probably all that crack that I've been smoking :wink:
Don't worry about it :smile:

Offlinericky
Stranger
    #1638805 - 06/17/03 01:48 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

haha. it's all good man. is it very hard to come by p. cubensis growing on horse dung? has anyone on here seen/picked p. cubensis growing on horse manure? you said it's not impossible..but that kind of makes me think you're implying that it's slightly rare to see them on horse dung. i don't see why they wouldn't..thanks again!

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
    #1638811 - 06/17/03 01:53 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

yes its not unheard of but not common. for about every 20 or so posts here about cubes 1 might be someone finding them on horse dung. if you do a search there should be some pictures and all that. happy hunting. peace

blaze

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1638812 - 06/17/03 01:55 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Well yeah, it's a fairly rare site to see. I have seen it before, though. LizardKing(used to be hunting forum mod) has found them growing from horse dung on several occasion. I also believe Remy has found them growing from horse dung in the Atlanta area.

If you're in Florida I'd say you'd have a decent chance of finding them in horse dung. It's surely worth a try.

Offlinebugabuga420
bUgAbUgaBOO

#1638819 - 06/17/03 01:59 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

The reason why they are rarely seen growing off horse dung is due to horses digestive systems which differ from cows. You see cows have multiple stomachs and there stomachs dont utilize stomach acids so when they graze they are also inturn eating spores. When the spores pass through their stomachs they germinate. Then when the cows takes a dump the spores also come out. Now they are germinated and have a bunch of shit to thrive off of. I guess horses have stomach acid that kills most of the spores. However I always thought that horses didnt have that good of digestive systems and that was why horse poo is used more often in indoor cultivation than cow poo. I thought this because it you look at horse poo it contains more grassy straw stuff in it than cow shit. I hope i made sense.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Central Florida/Cubensis/Horse Manure? [Re: bugabuga420]
    #1638914 - 06/17/03 03:00 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Most Cubensis grow from spores deposited on the grass and then the manure falls on the grass.

Of course, cows do eat fresh shrooms thus inthat way they also spred the sopres into a manure pile when shitiing which as mention above is one method of dispersal, but most come from spores on the grasses the cows eat. ANd from shrooms they consume when grazing.

mj

OfflineDobie
Dopeless Hopefiend
Male User Gallery
Loc: ON DA BLOCK Flag
Re: Central Florida/Cubensis/Horse Manure? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1638998 - 06/17/03 04:54 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

do you think the cows get high

--------------------
This place is gayer than when the balls touch

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
Re: Central Florida/Cubensis/Horse Manure? [Re: Dobie]
    #1639224 - 06/17/03 08:31 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah, I've found them in horse dung before in a field here in the ATL area. More interestingly I've also found them growing VERY prolifically on stable shavings and small amounts of horse manure mixed together in a big heap outside a stable. These were by far!!!!!!! the most potent cubensis I ever consumed. Though I would speculate this had more to do with location and conditions these mushrooms were growing in, not the type of dung.

LK,

--------------------

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

#1639276 - 06/17/03 09:07 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Here are some pics of horse dung cubes, the first two are from a horse pasture near my house, and the last 3 pics are from the woodshaving pile outside a nearby stable. The woodshaving cubes were dug up when found and no apparent dung was found directly underneath. I am sure there was a piece of colonized horse dung somehwere in that pile, but it spawned to the fresh damp wood shavings and the mycelium spread through it like wildfire!

LK,

--------------------

Edited by Lizard King (06/17/03 09:16 AM)

OfflineScubySnak420
Tripped OutCollege Girl

Loc: Orlando FL
Re: Central Florida/Cubensis/Horse Manure? [Re: Lizard King]
    #1639288 - 06/17/03 09:13 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Hey I'm from Orlando but I have shrooming buddies in melbourne ;-) I board my horse at a show stable and I have never found cubes out there. I found one pan subb out there. I'm always on the looking out though...but if you are just going to random fields I would definately reccomend hunting some cow pastures instead. It's great conditions out there right now! Good luck!

Invisiblekoraks
    #1639292 - 06/17/03 09:14 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

then a few friends say they heard that cubensis found growing on horse manure is not potent (doesn't "work" in getting you high). can anyone clarify this?

Bollocks. Of course, Ps. Cub. specimen vary in potency, but all cubbies contain psiloc(yb)in, so they will get you high. As GumbyDude stated, the production of active alkalo?ds in Ps. Cubensis is genetically decided.

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Re: Central Florida/Cubensis/Horse Manure? [Re: ScubySnak420]
    #1639404 - 06/17/03 10:31 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah, cow pastures are still a better bet, but if you have access to a field and just love to hunt like I do, its definitely worth investigating the field.

LK,

--------------------

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: 352
    #1639542 - 06/17/03 11:58 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

wow those are neat P. cubensis pictures. they look much different when growing from horse dung etc.

i have never found them growing in horse dung but then again i have not been to that many horse farms. only a couple, and all ive found there were Panaeolus species.

maybe somebody had an outdoor tek going in your find :grin: 

Offlinericky
Stranger
Re: Central Florida/Cubensis/Horse Manure? [Re: MagmaManiac]
    #1639656 - 06/17/03 12:48 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

ScubySnak420,
hey girl :blush:) the problem is that all of the cow fields around here are private property (as i'm sure is the case with most cow fields) and rather hard to access. i don't want to entertain the thought of getting shot by the rifle of some hillbilly farmer..

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Re: Central Florida/Cubensis/Horse Manure? [Re: MagmaManiac]
    #1639672 - 06/17/03 12:54 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Naw, these weren't cultivated, I know this for sure. They were found at a rather famous local horse park. I asked one of the attendants where they dumped all the horse droppings and used bedding once their manure pitts filled up. He kindly told me where to go and said I could take as much as I wanted for my garden(this was my excuse for asking) For two years I picked Ps. cubensis from this location, then some front end loaders came in and started giving away the compost to the public and loading all kinda of dump trucks with my cubensis patch :frown: They were wild cubes though, and damn nice ones! I have heard of people in florida finding them in stable shavings as well, so this isn't an all to uncommon occurance. It was kinda of suprising to me though at first. I couldn't believe the were growing from wood shavings, but they are some very hardy and persistant mushrooms. There was also horse dung mixed with the shavings, but its was far and inbetween, there wasn't much, and I never found a cube in actual hosre dung in this location, only in the wood shavings.

I also found some Panaeolus camanulatus(sp?) and other various Pans growing from the shavings, I don't think someone would take the time to create and outdoor patch of inactive pans :smile:

Heres a pic...

LK,

--------------------

Edited by Lizard King (06/17/03 01:00 PM)

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1639732 - 06/17/03 01:18 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

> More interestingly I've also found them growing VERY prolifically on stable shavings and small amounts of horse manure mixed together in a big heap outside a stable. These were by far!!!!!!! the most potent cubensis I ever consumed.

I agree... VERY potent.

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

#1640063 - 06/17/03 03:41 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I was going to add..."just ask gumby about potency" :smile: He'll tell ya!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Boomr Bag