Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Boomr Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineayamichelle
Abductee
Female User Gallery

Loc: U.S. Flag
How to Make Bulk Substrate
    #16385023 - 06/15/12 11:42 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I've been watching "Let's Grow Mushrooms" - in particular "Casing Layer Preparation".  Is it ever shown elsewhere in the entire video series how to make the "Bulk Substrate" onto which the casing layer is added? If not, where can I find instructions on how to make the bulk substrate?

--------------------
Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it.  John Lennon

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFrankHorrigan
The Inquisition
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How to Make Bulk Substrate [Re: ayamichelle]
    #16385056 - 06/15/12 11:46 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

The RR video is called "On Horse Manure" and it applies to all substrate materials.

--------------------

Yes, you can bump my old threads with a question.
Here is how I get things done.
You should take a look. :hehehe:

Frank's tips and tricks. Updated on 3/21/14
AMU- Get an answer here -AMU

OfflineRevolutiontcm
dniM-retsaM
Male User Gallery

Loc: MD Flag
Re: How to Make Bulk Substrate [Re: FrankHorrigan]
    #16385069 - 06/15/12 11:48 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

^^yep...
seen it a thousand times.

--------------------
:whathesaid::nonono:

OfflinePussyFart
Retired Cultivation Extrodinaire
Male

Loc: Orbiting Earth
Trusted Cultivator
    #16385084 - 06/15/12 11:51 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

the easiest and cleanest one has to be coir/verm...1 brick of coir in a 5 gal bucket withe 2-3 quarts of verm....4-4.5 quarts of boiling water poured on them with the lid on let sit for 1-2 hours the stir it up...let sit 2-4 hours....wait till about 90F and put into tub 4-5 inches thick with spawn..cover with 1/2 inch of leftover sub.  pretty simple i think.

Offlineayamichelle
Abductee
Female User Gallery

Re: How to Make Bulk Substrate [Re: PussyFart]
    #16385106 - 06/15/12 11:55 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks guys. Yeah, I'm starting to notice (this is the first time i ever watched these videos) that the videos do not necessarily present everything in order, huh? Guess I just need to relax and watch the entire video before asking this or that!

--------------------
Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it.  John Lennon

OfflinePussyFart
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #16385119 - 06/15/12 11:58 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

ayamichelle said:
Thanks guys. Yeah, I'm starting to notice (this is the first time i ever watched these videos) that the videos do not necessarily present everything in order, huh? Guess I just need to relax and watch the entire video before asking this or that!

lol

OfflineProject
Ride the Spiral

#16385137 - 06/15/12 12:03 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Coir is pretty easy to get and prep.  Usually though people mix it with other nutrient bases (spent coffee grounds for example) to provide more food for the mycelium.

I'd recommend horse manure (check out tek in my signature) because it's free and performs better than coir.

I'd prep horse manure in monotubs (see monotub tek in my sig) and rake in the mushrooms.  Build a few tubs and keep cycling them out as they finish...  Once you build the tubs all you need is spawn and manure.

InvisibleDeadHearts

Loc: MICHIGAN
Re: How to Make Bulk Substrate [Re: Project]
    #16385151 - 06/15/12 12:07 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Project said:
Coir is pretty easy to get and prep.  Usually though people mix it with other nutrient bases (spent coffee grounds for example) to provide more food for the mycelium.

This.

Who wants to handle and smell poo poo or eat something that gre out of it? Not me.

I know thats all trivial bullshit but still. No pun.

Offlineayamichelle
Abductee
Female User Gallery

#16385250 - 06/15/12 12:31 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

ok so please be patient with me here! this may be a stupid question. but, its nonetheless got me hung up right now. i keep seeing threads in this forum, and videos within "let's grow mushrooms" where "a jar of fully colonized spawn" is suddenly introduced; comes out of nowhere like flu mucus. again... stupid question. but, where did this fully colonized spawn come from? i think i know. but, then again, here im asking.

in the video, "steps to perfect grain spawn", RR finishes this video with sterilized jars of grain. i ASSUME that from here, you simply inoculate these jars in the same manner that i've already successfully done with BRF jars. and, once these jars are colonized, then you have "colonized spawn". and, it is THIS jar of colonized spawn that you're then breaking up and mixing with horse manure (or other substrate) and loading into the plastic trays which, once mostly colonized, your gonna add a casing layer. now, i know i've glossed over some details here. but, just to get my mind right here, am i on the right page?

--------------------

Edited by ayamichelle (06/15/12 12:32 PM)

InvisibleDeadHearts

#16385314 - 06/15/12 12:42 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

ayamichelle said:
ok so please be patient with me here! this may be a stupid question. but, its nonetheless got me hung up right now. i keep seeing threads in this forum, and videos within "let's grow mushrooms" where "a jar of fully colonized spawn" is suddenly introduced; comes out of nowhere like flu mucus. again... stupid question. but, where did this fully colonized spawn come from? i think i know. but, then again, here im asking.

in the video, "steps to perfect grain spawn", RR finishes this video with sterilized jars of grain. i ASSUME that from here, you simply inoculate these jars in the same manner that i've already successfully done with BRF jars. and, once these jars are colonized, then you have "colonized spawn". and, it is THIS jar of colonized spawn that you're then breaking up and mixing with horse manure (or other substrate) and loading into the plastic trays which, once mostly colonized, your gonna add a casing layer. now, i know i've glossed over some details here. but, just to get my mind right here, am i on the right page?

At this point I think you need to invest in some reading. Start here.....

http://www.shroomery.org/6219/General-Mushroom-FAQ

http://www.shroomery.org/5122/The-Shroomery-Mushroom-Glossary

Read UP

Offlineayamichelle
Abductee
Female User Gallery

Re: How to Make Bulk Substrate [Re: DeadHearts]
    #16385358 - 06/15/12 12:53 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

ah ok, got it. thanks.

i'll just go away, read, study, and figure it out on my own. then, once im an expert, i'll come back to this forum and we can talk about baseball.

for ur info, paul stamet's 3 books "psilocybin mushrooms of the world", "growing gourmet and medicinal mushrooms" and "the mushroom cultivator" are somewhere in a box between myself and amazon's warehouse. im not afraid to read. im just asking a question, which i thought was the point of these forums.

can someone please answer this 1 simple question: is a jar of colonized grain spawn simply a jar of sterilized grain that has been inoculated with a syringe in the manner similar to the BRF jars that i've inoculated?

--------------------

InvisibleDeadHearts

#16385479 - 06/15/12 01:18 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

ayamichelle said:

can someone please answer this 1 simple question: is a jar of colonized grain spawn simply a jar of sterilized grain that has been inoculated with a syringe in the manner similar to the BRF jars that i've inoculated?

The answer is yes. But that is common knowledge after you have read up on the subject. You will find
that we do not want to continuously answer the most basic of questions over and over again. Thos two
links I provided for you are there for a reason.

OfflinePussyFart
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #16385546 - 06/15/12 01:34 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

DeadHearts said:

The answer is yes. But that is common knowledge after you have read up on the subject. You will find
that we do not want to continuously answer the most basic of questions over and over again. Thos two
links I provided for you are there for a reason.

Thank you

OfflineProject
Ride the Spiral

#16385657 - 06/15/12 01:58 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Most people must have the idea that working with horse manure is going to smell like human shit..  Not true.  Now, I wouldn't want to go digging around in fresh horse poo, but once it's aged somewhat, dried and has been rained on, it smells like 100% dirt.  I wear vinyl gloves when handling and shredding, but it looks and smells of rich compost.  Even when pasteurizing in a large pot of water, essentially making poo soup, it doesn't have a smell (unless you're standing right over the steaming pot, then it smells like dirt soup).

Plus it's free.  I know coir is cheap, but cheap still isn't free.  Plus if you use coir you'd have to get some other stuff to make it more nutrient rich.  Horse manure is free, easy to prep, nutrient rich, and holds moisture well.

Horse manure > Coir

Now, a lot of these coir based recipes would be pretty nutrient rich, but all of those ingredients could be substituted for some decadent horse dookie.

InvisibleDeadHearts

#16385672 - 06/15/12 02:01 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Project said:
Plus if you use coir you'd have to get some other stuff to make it more nutrient rich.  Horse manure is free, easy to prep, nutrient rich, and holds moisture well.

I have used coir by itself many times and it does just fine for a few flushes. If you want your substrate
to last longer or beef ur fruits up a bit (depending) then you could add some stuff.

Its just the matter of preference.

InvisibleFrankHorrigan
The Inquisition
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #16385679 - 06/15/12 02:03 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Notahacker420 said:
the easiest and cleanest one has to be coir/verm...1 brick of coir in a 5 gal bucket withe 2-3 quarts of verm....4-4.5 quarts of boiling water poured on them with the lid on let sit for 1-2 hours the stir it up...let sit 2-4 hours....wait till about 90F and put into tub 4-5 inches thick with spawn..cover with 1/2 inch of leftover sub.  pretty simple i think.

OP, you'd do good to skip the bucket tek and start right off with proper pasteurization, as described in the RR video. It takes a small bit more effort but you will benefit from decreased chance of contamination and increased yields. It's way less messy when you spawn too.
I have seen this time and again on side by side grows with clone cultures, even with verm and coir instead of manure. Plus, if you're getting into bulk, might as well learn it right the first time. You're well on your way! :thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleDeadHearts

#16385696 - 06/15/12 02:07 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

FrankHorrigan said:
Quote:

Notahacker420 said:

OP, you'd do good to skip the bucket tek and start right off with proper pasteurization, as described in the RR video. It takes a small bit more effort but you will benefit from decreased chance of contamination and increased yields.
I have seen this time and again on side by side grows with clone cultures, even with verm and coir instead of manure. Plus, if you're getting into bulk, might as well learn it right the first time. You're well on your way! :thumbup:

Its not necessary though. As long as you take the proper steps and keep sterile there should
be no problems. I have never once had a contam besides cobweb doing this method. I have only had
contaminated jar back in the PF days.

Again matter of preference.

InvisibleFrankHorrigan
The Inquisition
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #16385711 - 06/15/12 02:11 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Keeping sterile doesn't really apply when spawning to bulk tho, since it is done in open air.  Hundreds of thousands of contaminant spores are going to be mixed in regardless of precautionary measures.
It isn't necessary. It is beneficial, and does provide more yield for less nutritious substrates like straight verm and coir.  Also, like I said, OP might as well get started right and play it safe. Some people get away with the bucket tek a zillion times, some people don't.  I've seen both ways in my experience as well.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Boomr Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale