Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleLucidDream
Hungry BlueFiend
 User Gallery

Loc: Planet of the Stupid Peop...
Some Random Tennessee Fungi
    #1638530 - 06/16/03 11:27 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Since I couldn't go to Bonaroo just 65 miles from home, I went bushwacking along the 600-foot wall of the Cumberland Plateau this weekend.

It goes down 600 feet like this. Big fun.

The top of the Plateau, in the deep woods, would be a great spot to try an outdoor tek for cyans or azures. It averages 7-15 degrees cooler than the surrounding lowlands.

No idea what these are. They grow at the very rim of the plateau.

I was looking for an elusive cave, but I also wanted to snap some shots of local fungi. I don't know what all these are, and these aren't half of what I saw. There were so many of them I couldn't possibly take all their pictures.

I know next to nothing about fungi species, but these may be some type of Russula, possibly russula mairei. I saw almost fifty of these things in a mile. Funny, I never noticed any mushrooms out there before. Something must have *changed my perspective*

I followed a hiking trail for the first mile, and everywhere I looked were scads of various mushrooms. None of them active, but I mean I literally could not walk ten feet without another batch jumping out at me. There are thousands and thousands of them.

The bottom of the gulfs cut into the plateau by large rivers seems like a good place to look for the elusive P. caerulipes. I don't know what part of the state of Tennessee it was found in, but since it shares a habitat with New York, it might grow in the Smokies. (Alas, the Smokies are fucked with tourists. I like having 10 square miles all to myself.)

No clue what this is either, but it looked interesting. I need a field guide.

Missed the shot of a lifetime: a brilliant flourescent-orange newt was curled around a mushroom shaped like a cyanescens. By the time I got my pack off and my camera out, he had disappeared into the leaves. Fuck!

--------------------
Sarcasm just one of my many talents.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
Re: Some Random Tennessee Fungi [Re: LucidDream]
    #1638583 - 06/16/03 11:49 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Great pics, man!  I love posts like this.

Unfortunately I can't help you ID any of those, especially not without spore prints, etcetera.  That second mushroom is incredibly stunning, though!

In reply to:

"Funny, I never noticed any mushrooms out there before. Something must have *changed my perspective*"

... Same thing happened to me, dude!  I had been hiking around my mom's woods for years.  After I found this site and became interested in magic mushrooms, I began to notice all sorts of wild fungi in my mom's woods that I had never even seen before!  It's like a whole other world was opened up to me!  :smile:

Oh, and about the newt... It was probably a Red Eft, or the land stage of the aquatic Red-Spotted Newt (Notophthalmus viridescens).  They are the only bright, flourescent-orange newts that I know of.  And they're extremely toxic, so don't eat them! :wink:

I have a few pics of them somwhere on my computer I think... I'll upload them if I can find them.  That sucks you missed the shot of him curled up around the mushie, though!

Again, nice post and pictures!  :laugh:

Peace,

RebelSteve 

--------------------
Namaste.

Edited by RebelSteve33 (06/16/03 11:50 PM)

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: 352
Re: Some Random Tennessee Fungi [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #1638661 - 06/17/03 12:27 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

those russulas are beautiful.

is ther first a Galerina, or is that a Squamanita mabe but i doubt because of the striated cap.

the last one reminds of collybia for some reason but i dont know why or if im even thinking of the right genus. thats all i have at this hour and with just pics.

Offlinebugabuga420
bUgAbUgaBOO

Re: Some Random Tennessee Fungi [Re: MagmaManiac]
    #1638709 - 06/17/03 01:05 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Nice Find Man

InvisibleLe_Canard
I AM NOT A FISH!

Loc: Earthfarm 1
Re: Some Random Tennessee Fungi [Re: LucidDream]
    #1639047 - 06/17/03 08:04 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Great report! Amazing how many fungus are amongus, isn't it! :grin: 

InvisibleLucidDream
Hungry BlueFiend
 User Gallery

Loc: Planet of the Stupid Peop...
Re: Some Random Tennessee Fungi [Re: MagmaManiac]
    #1640551 - 06/17/03 09:44 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, that first one did kinda remind me of a Galerina, without exactly matching the photos I've seen. There were others that were more - how do they say it? - macroscopically similar to Galerinas.

--------------------
Sarcasm just one of my many talents.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification