Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Shepherds theweak through thevalley ofdarkness

Loc: The Netherlands
Promycel 600 spawnmate, What are your opinons?
    #1637650 - 06/16/03 04:42 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

ProMycel 600

ProMycel 600 is designed as a "high efficiency" mushroom compost supplement.

A 60% protein, delayed release material, ProMycel 600 delivers maximum results with minimum additions.

Recommended usage rates for ProMycel 600 are 2.5%-3.0% of the compost dry weight. Usage rates should be accurately monitored. Rates above the recommended label may result in elevated compost temperatures.

Temperature control is also influenced by the ability to properly mix ProMycel 600 in the compost.

ProMycel 600 is successfully used at either the time of spawning or casing. ProMycel 600 has excellent flow characteristics, making it ideal for use with supplement hoppers on tray farms, bulk tunnel operations or shelf farms applying supplements with nets.

Growers familiar with Spawn Mate II-SE will experience temperatures during spawn run 2-4 degrees (F.) hotter, 2 to 4 days earlier. Spawn colonization is completed in less time than Spawn Mate II-SE. Compost temperatures at the end of spawn run ate easily managed. As a result, growers can reduce the time to harvest by forcing spawned casing material ("CAC'ing") to grow into the casing, without fear of overheating compost temperatures.

While ProMycel 600 is more demanding of precise growing conditions, yield results at 3% of the dry weight can be equal to, or better than Spawn Mate II-SE at 6%.

60% Protein
Used at low rates
Extra value

Delayed Released
Effective control of molds
Good temperature control

Consistent Quality
Predictable results
Consistent results

Balanced Nutritional Content
Promotes rapid growth
Complete spawn run at time of casing

Early Temperature Flash
Heat depleted during spawn running time
Allows proper environmental conditions for growth in casing

Consistent Flow Properties
Even distribution characteristics
Constant rates of addition

High Efficiency Nutrient Supplement
Increases yield
Increases profit

This product is available to commercial mushroom growers in bulk supply only.
50lbs or more. A friend and I purchased a 50lb bag and split it. I now have a lifetime supply of the stuff! I was wondering if anyone had tried it before or had anything to add on the subject.

Lord Fungusmaximus

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Promycel 600 spawnmate, What are your opinons? [Re: FungusmaximusFM]
    #1638037 - 06/16/03 07:19 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, I think that most home hobbyists have no need for supplements such as this.

You see, it's much safer, easier, cheaper and more efficient to simply use the spawn itself as the vehicle of supplementation. Commercial growers use as little as 1 qt per 8 sq. ft. of surface area (up to 16" deep) for their beds. This represents very little additional nutrition added to the bulk substrate by the spawn. The home hobbyist uses at least 8-16 times that amount of spawn, and many use upwards of 2 qts per sq. ft (usually only 6" deep max). That much grain adds a tremendous amount of nutrition to the bulk substrate, far more than even recomended ratios of spawnmate would at recomended levels. And with our higher spawn rates, the supplement is alread colonized, meaning it's completely encapsulated in mycelium.

Also, the spawn, in this case the supplement, is often organic, or at least food grade material. Spawnmate is pretty nasty stuff, being denatured with formaldehyde and treated with fungicides. Not that it's unsafe, but it's certainly not organic. And I'd be careful not to exceed the recomended rates for fear that more of these chems would be soaked up and possibly pass the allowable minimums.

Anyway, that's my thoughts. Proof of the power of supplementation via spawn can be seen by the fact that we can use pretty useless material and get decent fruitings if we spawn heavy. Example, scotts 3-n-1 in my area was worthless if you spawned at minimum recomended rates (never fully colonized, never fruited), but if you spawned at 2qts + per sq. ft, yields were comparable to straw.

Not to knock your product, enjoy it regardless of me. I'm just curious though, what is your spawn rate, and are you really seeing in drastic yield increases? I never did with any supplement (other than spawn) that I used.

"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Shepherds theweak through thevalley ofdarkness

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: Promycel 600 spawnmate, What are your opinons? [Re: mycofile]
    #1639858 - 06/17/03 04:22 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I have yet to use any, so Im unsure of its effectiveness.
Although I am using the original spawnmate in spawnbags of wbs right now and seeing a rapid increase in colonization. Im really anxious to see how well it prevents contaminations. I mean if I can spawn a bulk neglect type bed in a not so clean environment, that would be a real benefit. Im using it in my grain jars as well and hope to see a rapid increase in colonization times as well. I am also going to be trying to use it on my first outdoor beds. A 10'x10' bed about 6-8 inches deep. So I will report on how it turns out. Thanks for you response, I value your opinion greatly.

Lord Fungusmaximus

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology