Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineOzInsomniac
Stranger
Insomniac's 3rd Sub Hunt
    #1631151 - 06/13/03 11:14 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Hi.
Here's the details of the hunt. Basically It wasn't as good as my second hunt (check the pics of my in my previous post if you want) but this was probably because there wasn't as much rain during the week before the hunt and also there was huge winds the day I went and maybe on the day before as well.

I found some subs though I only took photos of some of the better ones I saw. Most the ones I saw were a little old but not all dried out yet or rotten, some were a little mush looking. I still saw a reasonable amount in fairly good condition.

so here's the better looking ones...

and here's a muscaria I thought looked nice...

I observed a few things. One was that it seems the subs go blue stain first then with age change to a green stain and then finally black. I would say this is just oxidisation (over days I might add).

Also a rather disturbing thing I found was little bugs or larve in some (even quite ok looking shrooms). They were tiny little creatures probably 1mm wide and 4mm long with tiny legs a two anntenea, they sometimes jump. Anyone else seen these and can tell me about them?

The best way I found of testing a mushroom for infestation was to sit the mushroom upsite down and slice the muchroom in half from the base of the stem to the top of the cap (so you have a cross section). The infested ones were slimy and decaying slighty or a little eaten out in the centre of the cap. YUCK. My guess is that the bugs go up the hollow stems into the cap and set up camp. You could quite easily pick one and not tell by the outside and if you were crazy enough eat it and not know. Which leaves me to think what would happen to someone if they didn't know a normally edible mushroom was infested with these bugs and ate it?

Sorry didn't mean to gross you out.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejimbu
jimbu
Male
Loc: nsw, australia
Re: Insomniac's 3rd Sub Hunt [Re: OzInsomniac]
    #1632041 - 06/13/03 06:51 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

bugs = protein! yum

theres nothing too unhealthy about eating these bugs, it's just the thought of it that's gross!

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: 352
Re: Insomniac's 3rd Sub Hunt [Re: jimbu]
    #1636025 - 06/15/03 09:43 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

a lot of mushrooms, especially fleshier ones like boletaceaes, agaricus, etc have larvae in them. flies leave their eggs in or near the mushrooms and the larvae travel either through the gills or the bottom of the stalk upwards and eat the nice fleshy part at the top of the stalk and the cap.

unfortunately, many common edibles are filled with these god damn insect larvae. i dont believe i have found one mature Boletus edulis specimen that didnt have any bugs. it can drive you wild, especially when you find the prettiest, most picturesque, huge edibles and then you find out they are rotten on the inside. its kind of like meeting people.... :tongue:

anyway, when and if you take a few mildly infected specimens home, make sure to cut away the infected portions of the mushrooms, since larvae can spread to other mushrooms (believe me its happened to me a few times) very fast and they can reproduce asexually. they grow and function slower in the cold so a refrigerator if your in a rush and you have to drop some mushrooms off at home.

GOT WORMS

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: Insomniac's 3rd Sub Hunt [Re: OzInsomniac]
    #1637015 - 06/16/03 08:52 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Beautiful Shroom finds.

I especially like the red and white Amanita muscaria.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract