Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesinkorswim
Female

Loc: London
HELP! buying Peyote as a gift- total begginer!
    #16362295 - 06/10/12 05:58 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I'll keep it short!

I am in the UK, trying to get some Peyote as a gift for someone who has always been intrigued by it.

I have located some places to buy in the UK, which sell the live plant fairly cheaply, but the plants are kind of small- ranging from 5-8cm. I have seen a vendor in Holland which sells bigger plants, and more varieties.

I'm wondering how much hassle I will have getting the plant sent from Holland (I know it's legal to have the plant in the UK, but at the same time, endangered cacti are not allowed to be imported into the UK), and whether in fact it will be worth the hassle for the extra size (around 10cm) or whether I'm better off getting a bunch of the smaller ones from here in the UK (since they're not THAT much smaller)?

Finally- I want to make sure I give them all the stuff they will need to cultivate and grow the plant- so any tips on what I should include in a kit for growing would be AWESOME.

Really, any advice would be VERY much appreciated, as I've been researching this for 2 days SOLID, and I'm running out of time for ordering one in time for their birthday!

[Mod edit: No, you are not allowed to mention the name]

Edited by naum (06/10/12 06:42 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleKBG1977
Re: HELP! buying Peyote as a gift- total begginer! [Re: sinkorswim]
    #16362308 - 06/10/12 06:01 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

They have places within the UK where you can purchase Lophophora,so why get them sent from Holland?

Edited by KBG1977 (06/10/12 06:16 PM)

Offlinesinkorswim
Female

Re: HELP! buying Peyote as a gift- total begginer! [Re: KBG1977]
    #16362337 - 06/10/12 06:07 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Okay, why is it a no no, sorry, I'm not trying to be lazy and not do the research for myself, as I said, I have been reading up for 2 days straight (like I really mean LITERALLY, from the start of the weekend to the end of it) and I am struggling to find info on importing, and on whether it is better to opt for a larger plant, or whether it doesn't really matter too much.

Well the ones in Holland are larger, and some varieties are only available there, and the cost is the same as for the smaller ones here.

InvisibleKBG1977
    #16362377 - 06/10/12 06:16 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

well,maybe it isn't,sorry.I must have misread what you were trying to say:-)

OfflineTehCarnivore
Stranger
Male

Re: HELP! buying Peyote as a gift- total begginer! [Re: KBG1977]
    #16364055 - 06/11/12 12:12 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

5-8 cm diameter is normal for a mature plant. When I see something bigger than that I suspect that the seller is not on the level.

Note that that your friend will need more than one if he/she wants to enjoy doing more than just looking at his or her peyote.

--------------------
Prints to trade: BHT; Penis Envy 6
Prints wanted: Any tasty cubies that aren't BHT or PE6

OfflineSharpstuff

Loc: Australia Flag
Re: HELP! buying Peyote as a gift- total begginer! [Re: TehCarnivore]
    #16364549 - 06/11/12 05:09 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Wish i could find some in Australia :frown:

Offlinesinkorswim
Female

Re: HELP! buying Peyote as a gift- total begginer! [Re: Sharpstuff]
    #16364680 - 06/11/12 06:24 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, I was surprised at how available it is here- I don't think the person I'm buying it for is aware, so I'm pretty excited! although, with the amount of research I have done on the topic, I feel kind of attached to the idea and will find it hard to give them away!

Okay so I'm guna go with 4 small 5cm Lophophora Williamsii plants, and one bigger 7 cm Loph var. Caespitosa (as presumabley this will have more buttons).

I'm assuming regular pots that are a few centimeters bigger than the plants will do? although I believe the roots get long, so a deep pot I guess is needed? I've read all kinds of mixtures for soil, but most refer to germination rather than re-potting a matured one- I'm guessing run of the mill cactus soil will do?

Thanks thus far :-D

InvisibleMostly_HarmlessM
wyrd bið ful aræd
Male User Gallery

Loc: Perfidious Albion Flag
Re: HELP! buying Peyote as a gift- total begginer! [Re: sinkorswim] * 1
    #16364690 - 06/11/12 06:29 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

There is no customs declarations for post within the EU. Ordering from holland shall be fine. They are legal in both countries.

As you are in the UK, I'll recommend tesco cat litter for your soil mixes
this is the one

no need for a specific cactus soil, infact they are often quite poor for the job and overpriced.
a john innes #2 from most garden centres, sifted of large organic matter, will do just fine.
50/50 with the cat litter is a good mix.

Yes, deep pots are good for the tap roots. For a 5cm button, go with a 7-8cm pot, unless the tap roots are monsters!
If you have to go with pots too much larger, add extra litter or perlite to compensate.

--------------------
●  EG Rules and Guidelines ● 

|| Lophophora Growers Unite! || Trichocereus Growers Unite! || Stone Eaters - A Soil Revolution ||

You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Offlinesinkorswim
Female

Re: HELP! buying Peyote as a gift- total begginer! [Re: Mostly_Harmless]
    #16366696 - 06/11/12 05:21 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Awesome, so as I said I'm guna get 4 5cm Lopho and 1 lopho caespitosa, and one small Bridgesii (for grafting maybe?).

I don't know if my friend will want to grow them and just admire them for years to come, or will want to harvest them imminently, but they should be enough to have sort of 'experience' should they choose to do that?

Offlineintelligentlife
Noaidi
 User Gallery

Loc: EU
    #16366978 - 06/11/12 06:47 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

:tongue2:Dude. Buy somewhere else from european union with that amount of money like few 8-10inch san pedro cuttings(not seedlings) and take experience from them, if someone going to have experience the cactus. It's cheaper and better way of experience than peyote.:sunny:

Most european vendors sell degrafted peyotes. Taproot is sometimes smaller than the crown of peyote so they are cultivated bigger as grafting and then degrafted to bigger to get more money faster.:rolleyes:

Peyote = Decoration
San pedro = Experience

Its my opinion of things in here EU. I think no one doesn't use peyote in EU for experience the cactus. San pedro is more productive for that purpose.. san pedro can be cultivated for experience of cactus relatively very fast instead of peyote.

Peyote are still compact and very beatiful cactus if want to keep nice cactus decorations in your home :thumbup:

--------------------

Edited by intelligentlife (06/11/12 06:55 PM)

Offlinesinkorswim
Female

Re: HELP! buying Peyote as a gift- total begginer! [Re: intelligentlife]
    #16367002 - 06/11/12 06:55 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, thanks for the advice, I can see that there are other easier/cheaper alternatives, if it was for myself, I'd probably settle for a San Pedro, but as a gift, I just wanted to get them what they'd expressed an interest in.
All in all, San Pedro doesn't seem to be that easy to get hold of in the UK (I have only seen small seedlings), so for the price of shipping from EU, it pretty much evens out to the total price of the Peyote plants that I'm looking at.

Pretty sure I will end up ordering some San Pedro though at some point :-D :grin:

Offlinesinkorswim
Female

#16367052 - 06/11/12 07:07 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

awwwww man! now I don't know what to do!

Offlineintelligentlife
Noaidi
 User Gallery

#16367056 - 06/11/12 07:08 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

sinkorswim said:
I'll keep it short!

I am in the UK, trying to get some Peyote as a gift for someone who has always been intrigued by it.

I have located some places to buy in the UK, which sell the live plant fairly cheaply, but the plants are kind of small- ranging from 5-8cm. I have seen a vendor in Holland which sells bigger plants, and more varieties.

I'm wondering how much hassle I will have getting the plant sent from Holland (I know it's legal to have the plant in the UK, but at the same time, endangered cacti are not allowed to be imported into the UK), and whether in fact it will be worth the hassle for the extra size (around 10cm) or whether I'm better off getting a bunch of the smaller ones from here in the UK (since they're not THAT much smaller)?

If you have read about european union and endagered species and CITES-contract. If you get cactus inside another EU country to another it doesn't brake the law for endagered species.

Only if you import from outside europe cactus, then it's illegal without documents of endagered species. The endagered species -thing in europe doesn't exist if you buy species inside EU.

Thats why that law is cause it prevents collecting wild cactus from their natural habitat cause they are propaganding so slowly that it's not good to harvest any cactus from US and Mexico and import them to europe cause they are harm for original strains.

Inside EU cultivated cactis are free to move inside EU like everything else.

And there are lots of greenhouses and vendors who sell peyote and san pedro in northern europe. In netherlands most shops doesn't send cactis to many european countries for some reason cause they sell cacti for consumption.

If you buy cactus from place where are not said that cactis can be used for experience, they send them everywhere in EU.

But you don't need to worry about the law of endagered species cause they are cultivated in EU so they are don't do any harm to original cactis in the wild. :wink:

--------------------

Offlinesinkorswim
Female

#16367495 - 06/11/12 08:33 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Okay- thanks  :dancer:

I'm guna order the 4 small Peyotes from the UK site as a token, then I'm guna head off to some garden centre tomorrow and see if I can spot any San Pedros. *fingers crossed*

:cheers:

Offlinesinkorswim
Female

#16389384 - 06/16/12 09:30 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Okay, so it turns out that with the exception of expensive dried chips, it is virtually impossible to get San Pedro, or in fact any other Trichs in the UK (only tiny seedlings that I've seen on one website).

I happened upon three lovely mature Peyotes in my local garden centre- 2 x 5.5cm and 1 x 4.5cm! I was so excited it was like Christmas!!!!!

Have ordered 4 more online, so in total I will have seven of reasonable maturity.

Of course, now I totally don't want to give them away! I think I might keep one at least, because they really are pretty and interesting!

I will post a picture once I have my collection together!

wyrd bið ful aræd
Male User Gallery

#16389507 - 06/16/12 10:13 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

In many visits to the garden centres near me (also UK) there is also often Lophs, and only once have I seen Trichs, a pot of 5 bridgesii. Keep checking!

Quote:

sinkorswim said:Of course, now I totally don't want to give them away!

It's begun.. :awesome:

--------------------

|| Lophophora Growers Unite! || Trichocereus Growers Unite! || Stone Eaters - A Soil Revolution ||

Offlineintelligentlife
Noaidi
 User Gallery

Re: HELP! buying Peyote as a gift- total begginer! [Re: Mostly_Harmless]
    #16389931 - 06/16/12 12:02 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Mostly_Harmless said:
In many visits to the garden centres near me (also UK) there is also often Lophs, and only once have I seen Trichs, a pot of 5 bridgesii. Keep checking!

Quote:

sinkorswim said:Of course, now I totally don't want to give them away!

It's begun.. :awesome:

touché.. :sunny:

--------------------

Offlinesinkorswim
Female

#16395430 - 06/17/12 02:17 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Okay okay,

So, one week after starting my quest for Peyote (and now also, other cacti!), this is what I have amassed from garden centres:

The column cacti are Bridgesii (at least, according to the labels) and all the others are Lophos :-)

Some of the larger Peyote are a little worse for wear though :frown:

It's obviously from being scratched by other cacti spines while in the shop- it's a shame, but hopefully they will live on, just with scars?

I've also noticed that the larger ones are tall- taller than I have seen in pictures maybe:

I know they all need to be re-potted, and that this one looks particularly tall because the roots or showing, but is it out of the ordinary for it to look like that? is it likely due to a lack of light?

Well- I still have a few more to order online, but I'm pretty happy with what I have thus far! of course, since these were all bought as a gift, I now face the dilemma of whether to actually give them away as intended (along with everything I've learned about them!) or to keep them for as long as my conscience will allow!

Let me know your thoughts, and thanks all for the help thus far!

Offlinesinkorswim
Female

#16395442 - 06/17/12 02:19 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

oh, and total cost so far- £20 :dancer:

wyrd bið ful aræd
Male User Gallery

#16395518 - 06/17/12 02:41 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

:awesomenod:

The marked areas will get lower down and less noticable as they grow more.
The slight elongation is probably due to the way the garden centres grow them.
This is one growing out the damage from red spider mites, over 2 years.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules