Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Intention vs. Desire
    #1635748 - 06/15/03 07:48 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

from the Seat of the Soul by Gary Zukav

If you do not like the relationship that you have with your husband or your wife , for example, and you would like it to be different, that desire alone does not change your relationship. If you truly desire to change your relationship, that change begins with the intention to change it.

OK, I no longer desire to own a Dodge Viper, I intend to own one. Now do your stuff, universe! When will the magic begin?

(Is a six-letter word more powerful than a five-letter word?)

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibletomatoes
you say tomatoe

Loc: and i say . . .
Re: Intention vs. Desire [Re: Swami]
    #1635805 - 06/15/03 08:15 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

one man's logical fallacy is another man's rhetorical device.

OfflineCleverName
the cloudsshould know meby now...

Loc: red earth painted with mi...
    #1635808 - 06/15/03 08:17 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

i thik the main difference is when you have the intention to do something your actually working toward it, you take the first steps....you save money until you can afford a dodge viper. and just b/c you intend to own a dodge viper doesnt mean your intentions or wishes will come true. but i suppose thats pretty obvious

--------------------
if you can't find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?

this is the purpose

Edited by CleverName (06/15/03 08:20 PM)

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
    #1635818 - 06/15/03 08:23 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I think you're reading a little too much into that one, Swami...

Actually, I think the passage is making the point you're making.
That's how I perceived it, anyway.

--------------------
Namaste.

Edited by RebelSteve33 (06/15/03 08:24 PM)

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
    #1636092 - 06/15/03 10:04 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

If you do not like the relationship that you have with your husband or your wife , for example, and you would like it to be different, that desire alone does not change your relationship. If you truly desire to change your relationship, that change begins with the intention to change it.

sounds like typical new age, self help phychobabble.

OfflineDeiymiyan
I AM

Loc: Within the Realm of Imagi...
    #1636294 - 06/16/03 12:00 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

"I no longer desire to own a Dodge Viper, I intend to own one."
-------------------------

Ok, let's talk about choice.

What's desire? A "ficticious" emotion that has attached itself to something you did, and continue to, notice.. And you think it is pretty cool.

Intent, I think, is a double edged sword.

Firslty, Intent can help make you see the prize. Relatively speaking, your desire's intent is to bring something that you like to your immediate surroundings: In this case, that would be owning it [The Viper].

That might be a part of the "plan": your own personal plan.

But, so far, little "work" occured.

This is where choice comes in to play. In the begining, the desire "coincided" with your "vision" of something; you now are faced with a choice: To get it, or not to get it.

Should you choose the second option, your desire does not materialize. If you select the first one, you have made a choice: to get it [The Viper]. This step becomes a decision concerning action.

Once you've really make the decision, a plan is formulated. Intention follows accordingly: Intent, now, becomes relative to the unfolding of your plan.

The desire has now transformed, for you, to intent; and it all happened because you made a "real-time" conscious choice.

Real, followed-through intent, brings you the desired prize.

But it does take work.

--------------------

Dei Gratia de integro,

Veni Vidi Vici:

In Nomine Domini..

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
    #1636622 - 06/16/03 02:56 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I never liked Gary Zukav, but I think he may have stumbled onto something interesting here. How about defining desire and intent like this: "desire" is whenever some part of you advertises some unfulfilled hunger, and "intent" is when you decide to do something about it. You can have many desires, often several conflicting ones, but not all of them get to be selected as targets for the intention machinery.

I think "intent" is an interesting concept because in some ways it is the time-reversed version of "memory". If an intent to make something happen in the future is realized successfully, this could be mathematically modelled as a projection of the future event into a past mind. In a similar way memories could be modelled as projections of past events into a future mind.

Anonymous

#1637449 - 06/16/03 01:18 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

You are clearly missing the point. Intention is stronger than desire. If you intend to own a Dodge Viper, than by your intention alone you'll work more toward that goal than by simply wanting one. Intention by the very meaning of the word means you're actively planning or working toward the goal. Simply because you want something doesn't mean you're doing any work toward making it happen. This isn't complicated at all, and I agree with a previous poster that you're reading too much into it.

Anonymous

Re: Intention vs. Desire [Re: ]
    #1637457 - 06/16/03 01:19 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

And this has nothing to do with "New Age psychobabble." It's simple fact.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1637490 - 06/16/03 01:30 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for pointing out the difference between the two, Swams! I've been realizing this recently - I can desire something "from the bottom of my heart" but nothing will happen to fulfil those desires unless I intend to carry out the actions that would allow me to do so.

This connected in my mind with the difference between thinking about doing stuff and actually doing stuff....

I think both are important though - this is another area in my life where I need to find a balance between the two - time should be spent processing information and thinking about various things and planning stuff out and so on, but time also needs to be spent on actually getting off my ass and DOING SOMETHING with these plans and processed information and so on..

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Intention vs. Desire [Re: ]
    #1637491 - 06/16/03 01:30 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

You would have to read the entire chapter. It had nothing to do with plan-making and goal-setting, but more about how to get the universe to work for you merely by mindset and force of "will".

That is what I was poking fun at. That the cosmos will magically grant you a wish (manifesting) if you "intend" it, but not if you "desire" it; as if God is more anal about semantics than I am. :wink: 

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Anonymous

#1637508 - 06/16/03 01:36 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

OK, well in that case then I agree with you. Just be careful to explain next time when posting things out of context.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom