Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Invisiblesunyata
nonexistentexistentialist
Classic Watts
    #1634930 - 06/15/03 11:20 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I'm sure many of you have read this before but I came back to it again this morning and appreciated the genius of this passage so much I had to post it here, in the hope of stimulating some conversation... It's an excerpt from "The Book (on the taboo against knowing who you are)" by manmythlegend Alan Watts...

Quote:

If I first see a tree in the winter, I might assume that it is not a fruit-tree. But when I return in the summer to find it covered with plums, I must exclaim, "Excuse me! You were a fruit-tree after all." Imagine, then, that a billion years ago some beings from another part of the galaxy made a tour through the solar system in their flying saucer and found no life. They would dismiss it as "Just a bunch of old rocks!" But if they returned today, they would have to apologize: "Well--you were peopling rocks after all!" You may, of course, argue that there is no analogy between the two situations. The fruit-tree was at one time a seed inside a plum, but the earth--much less the solar system or the galaxy--was never a seed inside a person. But, oddly enough, you would be wrong.

I have tried to explain that the relation between an organism and its environment is mutual, that neither one is the "cause" or determinant of the other since the arrangement between them is polar. If, then, it makes sense to explain the organism and its behavior in terms of the environment; it will also make sense to explain the environment in terms of the organism. (Thus far I have kept this up my sleeve so as not to confuse the first aspect of the picture.) For there is a very real, physical sense in which man, and every other organism, creates his own environment.

Our whole knowledge of the world is, in one sense, self-knowledge. For knowing is a translation of external events into bodily processes, and especially into states of the nervous system and the brain: we know the world in terms of the body, and in accordance with its structure. Surgical alterations of the nervous system, or, in all probability, sense-organs of a different structure than ours, give different types of perception--just as the microscope and telescope change the vision of the naked eye. Bees and other insects have, for example, polaroid eyes which enable them to tell the position of the sun by observing any patch of blue sky. In other words, because of the different structure of their eyes, the sky that they see is not the sky that we see. Bats and homing pigeons have sensory equipment analogous to radar, and in this respect see more "reality" than we do without our special instruments.

From the viewpoint of your eyes your own head seems to be an invisible blank, neither dark nor light, standing immediately behind the nearest thing you can see. But in fact the whole field of vision "out there in front" is a sensation in the lower back of your head, where the optical centers of the brain are located. What you see out there is, immediately, how the inside of your head "looks" or "feels." So, too, everything that you hear, touch, taste, and smell is some kind of vibration interacting with your brain, which translates that vibration into what you know as light, color, sound, hardness, roughness, saltiness, heaviness, or pungence. Apart from your brain, all these vibrations would be like the sound of one hand clapping, or of sticks playing on a skinless drum. Apart from your brain, or some brain, the world is devoid of light, heat, weight, solidity, motion, space, time, or any other imaginable feature. All these phenomena are interactions, or transactions, of vibrations with a certain arrangement of neurons. Thus vibrations of light and heat from the sun do not actually become light or heat until they interact with a living organism, just as no light-beams are visible in space unless reflected by particles of atmosphere or dust. In other words, it "takes two" to make anything happen. As we saw, a single ball in space has no motion, whereas two balls give the possibility of linear motion, three balls motion in a plane, and four balls motion in three dimensions.

The same is true for the activation of an electric current. No current will "flow" through a wire until the positive pole is connected with the negative, or, to put it very simply, no current will start unless it has a point of arrival, and a living organism is a "point of arrival" apart from which there can never be the "currents" or phenomena of light, heat, weight, hardness, and so forth. One might almost say that the magic of the brain is to evoke these marvels from the universe, as a harpist evokes melody from the silent strings.

A still more cogent example of existence as relationship is the production of a rainbow.(1) For a rainbow appears only when there is a certain triangular relationship between three components: the sun, moisture in the atmosphere, and an observer. If all three are present, and if the angular relationship between them is correct; then, and then only, will there be the phenomenon "rainbow." Diaphanous as it may be, a rainbow is no subjective hallucination. It can be verified by any number of observers, though each will see it in a slightly different position. As a boy, I once chased the end of a rainbow on my bicycle and was amazed to find that it always receded. It was like trying to catch the reflection of the moon on water. I did not then understand that no rainbow would appear unless the sun, and I, and the invisible center of the bow were on the same straight line, so that I changed the apparent position of the bow as I moved.

The point is, then, that an observer in the proper position is as necessary for the manifestation of a rainbow as the other two components, the sun and the moisture. Of course, one could say that if the sun and a body of moisture were in the right relationship, say, over the ocean, any observer on a ship that sailed into line with them would see a rainbow. But one could also say that if an observer and the sun were correctly aligned there would be a rainbow if there were moisture in the air!

Somehow the first set of conditions seems to preserve the reality of the rainbow apart from an observer. But the second set, by eliminating a good, solid "external reality," seems to make it an indisputable fact that, under such conditions, there is no rainbow. The reason is only that it supports our current mythology to assert that things exist on their own, whether there is an observer or not. It supports the fantasy that man is not really involved in the world, that he makes no real difference to it, and that he can observe reality independently without changing it. For the myth of this solid and sensible physical world which is "there," whether we see it or not, goes hand-in-hand with the myth that every observer is a separate ego, "confronted" with a reality quite other than himself.

Perhaps we can accept this reasoning without too much struggle when it concerns things like rainbows and reflections, whose reality status was never too high. But what if it dawns on us that our perception of rocks, mountains, and stars is a situation of just the same kind? There is nothing in the least unreasonable about this. We have not had to drag in any such spooks as mind, soul, or spirit. We have simply been talking of an interaction between physical vibrations and the brain with its various organs of sense, saying only that creatures with brains are an integral feature of the pattern which also includes the solid earth and the stars, and that without this integral feature (or pole of the current) the whole cosmos would be as unmanifested as a rainbow without droplets in the sky, or without an observer. Our resistance to this reasoning is psychological. It makes us feel insecure because it unsettles a familiar image of the world in which rocks, above all, are symbols of hard, unshakeable reality, and the Eternal Rock a metaphor for God himself. The mythology of the nineteenth century lead reduced man to an utterly unimportant little germ in an unimaginably vast and enduring universe. It is just too much of a shock, too fast a switch, to recognize that this little germ with its fabulous brain is evoking the whole thing, including the nebulae millions of light-years away.

Does this force us to the highly implausible conclusion that before the first living organism came into being equipped with a brain there was no universe--that the organic and inorganic phenomena came into existence at the same temporal moment? Is it possible that all geological and astronomical history is a mere extrapolation--that it is talking about what would have happened if it had been observed? Perhaps. But I will venture a more cautious idea. The fact that every organism evokes its own environment must be corrected with the polar or opposite fact that the total environment evokes the organism. Furthermore, the total environment (or situation) is both spatial and temporal--both larger and longer than the organisms contained in its field. The organism evokes knowledge of a past before it began, and of a future beyond its death. At the other pole, the universe would not have started, or manifested itself, unless it was at some time going to include organisms--just as current will not begin to flow from the positive end of a wire until the negative terminal is secure. The principle is the same, whether it takes the universe billions of years to polarize itself in the organism, or whether it takes the current one second to traverse a wire 186,000 miles long.

I repeat that the difficulty of understanding the organism/environment polarity is psychological. The history and the geographical distribution of the myth are uncertain, but for several thousand years we have been obsessed with a false humility--on the one hand, putting ourselves down as mere "creatures" who came into this world by the whim of God or the fluke of blind forces, and on the other, conceiving ourselves as separate personal egos fighting to control the physical world. We have lacked the real humility of recognizing that we are members of the biosphere, the "harmony of contained conflicts" in which we cannot exist at all without the cooperation of plants, insects, fish, cattle, and bacteria. In the same measure, we have lacked the proper self-respect of recognizing that I, the individual organism, am a structure of such fabulous ingenuity that it calls the whole universe into being. In the act of putting everything at a distance so as to describe and control it, we have orphaned ourselves both from the surrounding world and from our own bodies--leaving "I" as a discontented and alienated spook, anxious, guilty, unrelated, and alone.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: Classic Watts [Re: sunyata]
    #1634943 - 06/15/03 11:30 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

How can I discuss that? Theres too many points in there to discuss them all, and thats from reading only the first half. I do agree with him on the aspect of our envirorment and interaction with it coexist........

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #1634960 - 06/15/03 11:38 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Watts was so deeply intune with life that he found refuge in a vodka bottle. Poetic word-manipulation and a life well-lived are two very different things.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: Classic Watts [Re: Swami]
    #1634967 - 06/15/03 11:41 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

He did use alot of fancy words.... are you saying swami that hes just a drunk that plays things up? I dunno, but I think he has some very philosophical ideas.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Classic Watts [Re: 2Experimental]
    #1634981 - 06/15/03 11:47 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

How can one be any clearer?

Your true philosophy on life is reflected in how you live it, not how you speak it.

How many pedophilic priests speak the words of Jesus week after week?

--------------------

Invisiblesunyata
    #1634988 - 06/15/03 11:52 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Watts was so deeply intune with life that he found refuge in a vodka bottle. Poetic word-manipulation and a life well-lived are two very different things.

Swami, I appreciate that you have chosen not to listen to the ramblings of anyone whose life you perceive to be less perfect than your own, but IMO Watts' alcoholism in no way invalidates his philosophical ideas, which are in fact not necessarily his but rather an interpretation of wisdom handed down by generations of presumably non-alcoholic thinkers. Nietszche ended his life in a mental hospital; does that mean none of his ideas are worthy of our attention? I would hope we could leave aside personal biases against individuals and just discuss the ideas, as your thoughts on all this would greatly interest me.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#1635006 - 06/15/03 12:03 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Dear Sun,

There is a logical fallacy about mixing up an idea with the person when it comes to external things such as physics or agriculture, etc.

Yet, here is a man with many deep philosophical insights that he, himself, apparently has trouble integrating into his own life. But somehow, mysteriously, those of us who get these insights secondhand can do a much better job of living them.

If they had no power to transform the originator's life, why would you think they might have a profound impact on yours?

--------------------

Edited by Swami (06/15/03 12:04 PM)

Invisiblesunyata
    #1635029 - 06/15/03 12:22 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

This is a good question, and I guess we could get it out of the way if you like, but I feel like we're getting sidetracked from the original intent of my post, which was to explore issues of teleology and human perception and whatnot. But this is a conversation, and I am feeling silly for trying to control it, so let's just go with it...

I guess I have only two direct responses for the issues you raised, probably neither of which will be very satisfactory to you. First, I think that the logical fallacy you mentioned does apply here, because (in this passage) Watts is not talking about how to live a perfect life free from addictions and he is not claiming that he lives such a life. He is talking about external things much as a physicist or farmer does. I am unclear as to whether you have read the passage above (I know it's lengthy) so maybe you missed that. A quantum physicist can ramble all day about the true nature of the universe (subject and object being inseperable, and so forth) but if he does not live according to these "truths" we do not hold his ideas to be invalid. I think Watts deserves the same consideration here, but that's just my opinion. He is not instructing us in how to live in this passage, he is simply pointing out some of the perceptual errors experienced by humans almost universally.

Second (and this is the point that I know you will not agree with, but I feel compelled to mention it anyway), you are using your own standards of what comprises a "transformed" life, and I think that perhaps you have not examined the assumptions that you are making. I believe that someone who truly lives the cosmic truths Watts expounds is not necessarily going to be a saintly figure in the stereotypical sense. In fact, I think that often what we see in people who have liberated themselves from the traditional bounds of thought is the exact opposite -- complete freedom of expression and action unmediated by cultural expectations. Humans are generally governed by self-consciousness that dictates what is "right" and "wrong" in our behaviours, but to know the truth is to truly know that these are just concepts, and that the universe does not make such distinctions. Life just is, it is neither good nor bad. Zen masters used to do the craziest things in order to demonstrate this, like cutting off a student's finger for example. Is this a sociopathic action? In our estimation, yes, but in the absolute sense, no, it is just an action, like an apple falling off a tree. The judgement exists only in our minds.

So Watts may have been an alcoholic, but perhaps he was happy. I don't know. Maybe he was miserable, but it doesn't matter to me because he had an ability to explain the wisdom of the East in such a way that it has had a profound impact on MY life, and I presume others' lives as well. So I could care less about his personal life, it has nothing to do with me, and I can say from experience that I have found much value in his writings. Perhaps you might too if you would give them a chance...

Edited by sunyata (06/15/03 12:27 PM)

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Loc: Around Minneapolis.
    #1635432 - 06/15/03 04:07 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

swami-

this book was written before the time of the 5 step self help manual. Watts communicates in an engaging manner- perhaps even "poetic"- but his primary purpose is translating eastern philosophy.

sure, you could look then at how well say, taoism "worked" on asian people... but that too would be missing the point.

--------------------
The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #1635617 - 06/15/03 05:25 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

You're always throwing the baby out with the bath water Swami.

There are absolutely NO perfect human beings. You would have us ignore all teachings unless they come from one who is faultless. That's ridiculous.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: Classic Watts [Re: Learyfan]
    #1636292 - 06/15/03 11:59 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I don't know... I like some of what Watts says, but addiction is a MAJOR PSYCHOLOGICAL PROBLEM. I find it hard to see how a man that seems to be all about internal coherence would be still be able to provide reliable insight into the "ways of the world/whatever" when he himself is plagued with his own addiction. I'm all about internal conflict, but Watts' case seems like a blatant and ongoing contradiction.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
Re: Classic Watts [Re: Sclorch]
    #1636353 - 06/16/03 12:34 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I've never met anyone who's not a hypocrite at one time or another, have you? If you have, well shit.. introduce me to him and tattoo 666 on my forehead. Send me his book as well, because obviously I can't read anything anyone else writes!  :blush: 

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Classic Watts [Re: Adamist]
    #1636356 - 06/16/03 12:36 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

It's not spotted instances of contradiction that is the problem (those are normal).
The problem is when it's an ongoing contradiction (i.e. alcoholism).

--------------------

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

#1636366 - 06/16/03 12:40 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

And who is the omnipresent judge who determines what is spotted instances of contradiction and ongoing contradiction? Us?

--------------------

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
    #1636381 - 06/16/03 12:48 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Well, learning can be a contradictory phenomenon. So that's not bad.

It is common for alcoholics to drink every day. Everyday, to me, means ongoing (read: quasi-incessant). I don't make bad choices NEARLY that often. But Watts did. So I'm skeptical of an intelligent alcoholic's writings... so what?

Does this make me an inflexible, intolerant, hyper-rational, Skeptic-with-a-capital-S?
To each his own then, eh?

--------------------

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

#1636412 - 06/16/03 01:02 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

So I'm skeptical of an intelligent alcoholic's writings... so what?
Does this make me an inflexible, intolerant, hyper-rational, Skeptic-with-a-capital-S?

It depends on how intolerant your judgements are. But I'm pretty sure you personally don't fit those adjectives, (at least concerning Alan Watts), because I've read past posts in which you think critically and expound upon what he had to say.

Now, an inflexible, intolerant, hyper-rational Skeptic would read Watts and totally disregard his ideas as hogwash, poppycock, rubbish, tommyrot, twaddle, or malarkey, just because he had a loosely-defined 'problem' with alcohol... I know you're more open-minded than that. :laugh: 

--------------------

Edited by Adamist (06/16/03 01:04 AM)

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

#1636814 - 06/16/03 06:43 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Hypothetical situation:

I am a philosopher who teaches that love is the way and that killing is wrong.

I just killed a termite.

Now this renders all of my teachings null and void and people should take my words with a grain of salt.

--------------------

InvisibleIn(di)go
People of the sun.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cologne, Germany
    #1636886 - 06/16/03 07:32 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

this is exactly the reason i am not posting here anymore... :tongue: swami you are never going to change, are you?

--------------------

InvisibleIn(di)go
People of the sun.
Male User Gallery

#1636892 - 06/16/03 07:35 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

disregard his ideas as hogwash, poppycock, rubbish, tommyrot, twaddle, or malarkey

you forgot boohawkey :grin:

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Classic Watts [Re: In(di)go]
    #1636909 - 06/16/03 07:46 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this is exactly the reason i am not posting here anymore...

Because truth is painful? Here is a quote from Watts (The World As Emptiness - an essay on Buddhism)

"But the point is this: when you're feeling blue and bored, it's not a good idea to have a drink, because you may become dependant on alcohol whenever you feel unhappy."

swami you are never going to change, are you?
Seems you need to resort to personalism again and again (contrary to Shroomery rules!) rather than staying on topic. You want others to change (to what?), but not yourself, kind of like Watts teachings.

--------------------

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #1636934 - 06/16/03 08:03 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

so dr watts ended up a daoist drunk...
the man had a nimble mind and a penetrating intellect...
and sometimes those who peer deeply into the void may embrace a bit more of consciousneess-clouding agents (perhaps to slow down their rapidly-firing neurons?) than may be "good for ya"...
~
i like dr watts' story about how he decided to stop shooting arrows straight up into the air to see how close it would land to him... when one landed between his feet!!!

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Classic Watts [Re: gnrm23]
    #1636954 - 06/16/03 08:14 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

so dr watts ended up a daoist drunk...

So Jimmy Swaggart was with prostitutes. We should still believe that we are sinners if we do that and continue to send him money?

So Watts preached against alcohol abuse; for others, but not for him and I should blindly overlook the fact that he did not live his own philosophy?

Casataneda was a fraud, but I should still follow his teachings because his books are so entertaining and well-written and sound authentic?

Bennett (former drug czar) preached against addiction and even wrote a book on family values as he tore his family apart with his out-of-control gambling, but that is acceptable?

--------------------

Edited by Swami (06/16/03 10:27 AM)

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

#1637103 - 06/16/03 10:20 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

There is a difference between Swaggert and Watts.

Watts isn't saying that you are less of a person if you don't adhere to his belief system.

Watts teachings can still be used by many regardless of how well Watts himself stayed on course.

--------------------

Offlinesomebodyelse
In_Is_Out

#1637114 - 06/16/03 10:24 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Agreed that if you are looking for a guru, you look at his behaviour. But somebody can still have interesting and relevant stuff to say without being a saint. I think you are setting the bar a little too high, Swami. I mean, really - how many books do you have on your bookshelves? Two, or three, at best, I'd hope, given your standards of who you choose to read.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Classic Watts [Re: somebodyelse]
    #1637127 - 06/16/03 10:32 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

You guys miss the point. It is really not about judgement per se.

If a piercing intellect like Watts obviously had, who devoted most of his life to Zen and Eastern mysticism and apparently did not truly "get it", then why should those of us with less time, wisdom, and devotion believe that we should be able to "get it"; or even that there is something to "get"?

--------------------

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
    #1637130 - 06/16/03 10:34 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah, you can pass on the flame even if you don't know how to make fire.

And thinking of Leary (as I always do when I see your nick, Learyfan :smile:, I already forgot about Watts), there you have someone who not only knew how to make fire, he invented new uses for it!

Offlinesomebodyelse
In_Is_Out

#1637136 - 06/16/03 10:39 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

If a piercing intellect like Watts obviously had, who devoted most of his life to Zen and Eastern mysticism and apparently did not truly "get it", then why should those of us with less time, wisdom, and devotion believe that we should be able to "get it"; or even that there is something to "get"?

Oh I give you that point. I don't think that's the same as saying that somebody's thought is irrelevant just because of his lifestyle difficulties. (I mean, shit, sit on a houseboat and write books for 15 years, and you're going to need an outlet too, no?)

To address your question (not that I know the answer here, but a try): I don't think a piercing intellect is a requirement or even a help when it comes to "getting it". In fact I gather that "getting it" is a function of some other part of the person - i.e. specifically not the intellect.

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

#1637351 - 06/16/03 12:32 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

ok... once again... watts isn't explaining something that he figured out. he's an academic. he translated a field of philosophy which was up to his time largely ignored. his personal problems aren't relevant. the accuracy of his translation of eastern philosophy is what people buy his books for. this, once again, is NOT A "BE LIKE ME" AUTHOR. Watts is NO GURU. he was a modern westerner, with all of the fucked up problems that modern westerners cope with. Sure, he found solice in the east... but it's an extremely intellectual relief.. the closest watts got to satori was tripping on acid.

that having been said.... we probably shouldn't try to glean any wisdom from, say, hemmingway, kerouac, poe, yates, shelly, etc, etc.

--------------------
The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

InvisibleIn(di)go
People of the sun.
Male User Gallery

#1640329 - 06/17/03 05:50 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Seems you need to resort to personalism again and again (contrary to Shroomery rules!) rather than staying on topic. You want others to change (to what?), but not yourself, kind of like Watts teachings

well... it is personalism in your eyes... if you think that is contrary to shroomery rules, then go take a look at OTD and see for yourself what personalism is...
and well, of course i want people to change... change is the only constant in this universe, my man... when you stop changing you are DEAD!!! and since we are eternal that is not possible... im guessing you took this rather personally since my comment was related to you ("you are never going to change, are you?")... the thing is i dont want you to change anymore than you want me to change... otherwise you wouldnt keep throwing your skeptik views at me and the other believers in this forum...
so im going to ask you one honest question... why are you doing this? what do you get from behaving the way you do? (note that these questions are in no way attached to a personal judgement about your behaviour) i realized that i kept getting into arguments with you in order to "prove my point" and get some affirmation... it was an ego thing... and thats the reason i stopped posting... i wasnt learning anymore... i was spending my time here argueing with people i would never persuade anyways... so i quit the shroomery to spend some time applying my wisdom in the real world... i kept lurking around reading the more interesting posts but i kept myself from intervening... and it has been good...
soooooooooo... care to answer those questions?  :grin:

--------------------

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1641495 - 06/18/03 03:48 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

If a piercing intellect like Watts obviously had, who devoted most of his life to Zen and Eastern mysticism and apparently did not truly "get it",

Why do you think he didn't get it? Because he drank? Hitler was teetotal and seemed a really happy guy, does that make him enlightened master number 1?

Watts had deep personal pain that he struggled with all his life. Instead of becoming a bitter, negative asshole he struggled to be positive and helped thousands of people. To me that's heroic. The fact that he was in so much pain he needed to drink doesn't make him any less.

There is no infallible route to happiness for everyone I'm afraid. Watts had too much pain in his life for buddhist teachings to bring him 100% happiness (but bear in mind that without them maybe he'd have killed himself at 25), for many others who havn't suffered like Watts his teachings will be wonderful and help them tremendously.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Offlinepan
Loc: here
Re: Classic Watts [Re: Xlea321]
    #1641554 - 06/18/03 05:11 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I think you guys are all perambulating within the maze that is the conflict between absolute truth and relative truth. We exist as beings in a material physical reality, in this reality there is only relative truth, absolute truth cannot exist.
Therefore the fact that Watts is able to express/ grok high metaphysical truths one day and be a drunk the next is just a mark of his fundamental contradictorary physical (human) nature.

Within this realm of relative truth Ken wilber probably has the most comprehensive model of getting out of the maze. Two of ken's ideas that are relevant here are (crudely): No human mind is capable of 100% error, there is a degree of truth to all of our "realities": and two, that humans exist on many different levels including, material (biological etc), psychological (instinctual upwards), spiritual. These centres seem separate from each other in a lot of ways. For exaple imagine a very high Zen monk, who's been practicing for 40 years, can sit in emptiness, has serious satoric realizations. Would you not want to talk to this person? To some he might even be a guru or saint or realized being. But this monk could come out of their meditation extremely neurotic, or prone to drink or moving like a clumsy ape - so just because the monk is very highly evolved spiritually he isn't necessarily evolved psychologically or physically, BUT he is still able to talk about and 'know' those spiritual truths. Just because he isn't perfect doesn't mean he isn't wise in some areas.

Basically we all find the truth in the same way. What resonates with us. Swami, you remind me of the story of gandhi. He was leaving a village by train, the train hade just started moving and a journalist comes up to his window and says "gandhiji give me a message to take back to my people" Gandhi just had time to write on a piece of paper and hand it back to him the phrase "my life is my message". Actions are important. But it's also important not to be too fundamental about needing consistent actions otherwise some other relative truths might evade you

But, ja, basically there is no such thing as absolute truth on this plain, so buckle up and take the constant contradictions, highs and lows, erisian circus that is this ride, with integrity, peace and a good tomato and basil soup and we can all agree to disagree with a knowing wink and a smile realising that behind all the apparent contradictions, created realities and suffering we are all actually the same constant witnessing awareness, watching everything arise with utmost compassion.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Classic Watts [Re: pan]
    #1641562 - 06/18/03 05:21 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Perhaps we're forgetting that some of the finest people who have ever lived have been hopeless drunks and drug addicts.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Classic Watts [Re: pan]
    #1641719 - 06/18/03 08:10 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Every single time I will choose a teacher who has demonstrated accomplishments.

If I want to take piano lessons, I will choose someone who has performed in a band or concerts or studio, had music published; etc.

If I want a personal physical trainer, I will choose someone who has sports trophies, looks great, and is strong - not a "knowledgeable" fat slob.

Jesus: "By their actions ye will know them."

--------------------

Anonymous

#1641783 - 06/18/03 08:54 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

what of watts' actual ideas and words do you find fault with?

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1641801 - 06/18/03 09:02 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

If I want to take piano lessons, I will choose someone who has performed in a band or concerts or studio, had music published; etc.

I'm afraid life really isn't like that. The guys who are the biggest success's in their fields are often very poor at teaching. They are two completely different skills.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Anonymous

#1641826 - 06/18/03 09:12 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

"People appear to be under the fixed impression that one speaks or writes of these things in order to improve them or do them some good, assuming, too, that the speaker has himself been improved and is able to speak with authority. In other words, the philosopher is forced into the role of preacher, and is in turn expected to practice what he preachers. Thereupon the truth of what he says is tested by his character and his morals -- whether he shows anxiety or not, whether he depends upon 'material crutches' such as wine or tobacco, whether he has stomach ulcers or likes money, whether he loses his temper, or gets depressed, or falls in love when he shouldn't, or sometimes looks a bit tired and frayed at the edges. All these criteria might be valid if the philosopher were preaching freedom from being human, or if he were trying to make himself and others radically better....[but, overcoming 'negative tendencies'] solving problems and coping with situations is by no means the only or even the chief business of life.

In the span of one lifetime it is, of course, possible for almost every human being to improve himself- within limits set by energy, time, temperament, and the level from which he begins. Obviously then, there is a proper place for preachers and other technical advisors in the disciplines of human betterment. But the limits within such improvements may be made are small in comparison with the vast aspects of our nature and our circumstances which remain the same, and which will be very difficult to improve even if it were desirable to do so. I am saying, therefore, that while there is a place for bettering oneself and others, solving problems and coping with situations is by no means the only or even chief business of life. Nor is it the principle work of philosophy."

- alan watts.

i think an idea alan watts put alot of emphasis on in his writings was, "that which can be deviated from is not the true tao".

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#1641979 - 06/18/03 10:20 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

The guys who are the biggest success's in their fields are often very poor at teaching.

Note: Those are your words as I never said "the best", but one must have SOME accomplishments to teach.

This may very well be true, but is certainly NOT mutually exclusive. Yet, you seem to make the implication that the inverse is somehow true. I highly doubt that a total failure and loser (in a particular discipline) would make a good teacher.

--------------------

Edited by Swami (06/18/03 01:25 PM)

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Classic Watts [Re: ]
    #1641988 - 06/18/03 10:23 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

"People appear to be under the fixed impression that one speaks or writes of these things in order to improve them or do them some good, assuming, too, that the speaker has himself been improved and is able to speak with authority. In other words, the philosopher is forced into the role of preacher, and is in turn expected to practice what he preachers. "

So then, what EXACTLY is the point of these writings, if not to help one gain a better understanding of life and to become more balanced and content?

--------------------

InvisibleClean
the lense
Male User Gallery

#1642129 - 06/18/03 11:24 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

so he's a drunk, big deal.
i like the fact that he is.
it means that he has sizable experience with the "darker side". there's something to be said for fully experiencing that side of human emotions.
i'd rather learn from someone like that rather than someone who attempts to go through life in an experiential "ivory palace".

Edited by Clean (06/18/03 11:25 AM)

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1642205 - 06/18/03 12:03 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Note: Those are you words as I never said the best", but one must have SOME accomplishments.

What "accomplishments" do you mean? They have to know more about the piano than you yes. Other than that what else do they have to have "accomplished"?

I highly doubt that a total failure and loser (in a particular discipline) would make a good teacher.

Are you implying Watts was a total failure? The guy lectured to enormous acclaim for decades, was and remains world famous and has sold enormous numbers of books. Surely you consider that "accomplishment"?

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Classic Watts [Re: Clean]
    #1642466 - 06/18/03 02:12 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

OK everyone, I concede.

We should sit in Za-Zen for 4 hours per day, because even though it had no obvious affect on Watts, he was a good writer and speaker.

We should all jump off a cliff like Castaneda says, regardless if it is possible (to survive unharmed) or if Castaneda himself did it, because the teachings "sound true" and he is an accomplished writer.

And we should OD like Hendrix because he was a gifted guitar player and inject ketamine because Lilly was a brillant researcher.

Now we are all happy and in accord. I finally understand.

--------------------

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1642557 - 06/18/03 02:49 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I wouldn't put castanada in the watts and lilly category.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineEarth_Droid
Stranger
    #1642562 - 06/18/03 02:51 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I have been practicing zen for 30 minutes a day, I do feel calmer about things, but in order to reach those higher states like on shrooms you have to meditate for years.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Classic Watts [Re: Earth_Droid]
    #1642565 - 06/18/03 02:53 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Do you ever reach them? Like Mckenna said there are an awful lot of people sweeping the ashram for 50 years telling themselves that one day they'll reach enlightenment.

My only worry with that is what if you find after meditating for 50 years that enlightenment isn't what it's cracked up to be?

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

#1642659 - 06/18/03 03:30 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

that's so shallow and so stupid. you obviously aren't an athlete..... lots of people get OLD.... these OLD people are prone to being, as you so nicely phrased, "fat slobs". But actually they just became teachers or mothers... or coaches / trainers.

lots of people who outwardly appear to be deserving of your helpful logic tips often don't actually need your advice or crticism. I've met fat coaches... good ones and bad ones....

--------------------
- Paul Tillich

InvisibleClean
the lense
Male User Gallery

#1643016 - 06/18/03 05:55 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
OK everyone, I concede.

We should sit in Za-Zen for 4 hours per day, because even though it had no obvious affect on Watts, he was a good writer and speaker.

We should all jump off a cliff like Castaneda says, regardless if it is possible (to survive unharmed) or if Castaneda himself did it, because the teachings "sound true" and he is an accomplished writer.

And we should OD like Hendrix because he was a gifted guitar player and inject ketamine because Lilly was a brillant researcher.

Now we are all happy and in accord. I finally understand.

i'm glad you finally see the Miller Lite.

just because i like what watts writes doesn't automatically make me sprout 2 more legs and a coat of wool so that i can follow mr. watts from the Bar to the Buddhist Temple and then back to the Bar again. i read his writings, consider them, compare and contrast to my own life experience and beliefs, and that's that.

meh.. there's no point in going any further with this.

Edited by Clean (06/18/03 05:55 PM)

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Classic Watts [Re: Malachi]
    #1643211 - 06/18/03 11:32 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

that's so shallow and so stupid.

Yep, that's what I am all about. Thanks for noticing.

--------------------

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

#1643276 - 06/18/03 11:55 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

alright, that was harsh, I'm sorry. the point remains, however... your lack of appreciation for "fat slobs" and less than perfect writers is irksome to say the least.

--------------------
- Paul Tillich

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#1643319 - 06/19/03 12:11 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

If you were centered as Zen and Watts suggest, you would not be so easily irked. Better read some more.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#1643330 - 06/19/03 12:15 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I wouldn't put castanada in the watts and lilly category.

He is a self-proclaimed man of knowledge and has sold millions of copies, actually putting him far ahead of Watts and Lilly as far as popularity is concerned (and many here tell me the mass of people is usually correct).

--------------------

OfflineInsomniac
Stranger
    #1643359 - 06/19/03 12:22 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I don't see Zen as being about morals, about how to conduct oneself, how to overcome suffering, or any of that kind of stuff. All it is concerned with is gaining some sort of insight into the nature of existence (and in true zen fashion, yes even this is saying too much).

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

#1643363 - 06/19/03 12:23 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

um... I'm not a buddhist. but if I was, I'd tell you to fuck off.

--------------------
- Paul Tillich

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#1643545 - 06/19/03 01:43 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Your spiritual maturity shines ever so brightly.

--------------------

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1643608 - 06/19/03 02:41 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

He is a self-proclaimed man of knowledge and has sold millions of copies, actually putting him far ahead of Watts and Lilly as far as popularity is concerned (and many here tell me the mass of people is usually correct).

Hitler sold millions of copies too. Selling millions of copies really isn't the point.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

#1643907 - 06/19/03 06:28 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Tone it down a bit.

InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
    #1645811 - 06/19/03 06:14 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Enlightened humans are vastly expanded human beings, not perfect human beings.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order