Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNeoSporen
Antibiotic cream
Other User Gallery

Loc: Graham, WA
Re: Panaeolus olivaceus. [Re: Alan Rockefeller] * 1
    #16344587 - 06/07/12 03:03 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

All done at 800X. In some of the pictures you can kinda see the green immature spores. My camera doesn't do a good job capturing it, they are much more pronounced in person. I'll try to put it up on MO tomorrow with measurements for everything.

Basidia are 4 spored, but rarely 2 spored.

2 spore:

4 spore:

Cheilocystidia:

Spores. Measurements tomorrow, I'm tired and need to sleep:

--------------------
Having lived through an existence close to nature, one accepts the small and simple things as most important in life. Sun, wind, rain and snow. The sounds birds make, smells of fresh wild flowers. Love of all kinds, from friends and family, thy self and our neighbors. Beautiful sunrises to the darkest clouds dancing above in the sky. To forgive, learn, share and express. This is the only thing a man such as myself can ask for. What comes as the result is nothing short of the core of human existence, to truly live free in body and mind.

Edited by NeoSporen (06/07/12 03:07 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNeoSporen
Antibiotic cream
Other User Gallery

Re: Panaeolus olivaceus. [Re: NeoSporen] * 1
    #16347136 - 06/07/12 03:46 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Measurements from some pictures. I tried to measure damn near everything, just for kicks. Going out to go gather more today and try to track the areas where they grow. Most of the time if I follow where the wind is coming from, I find more. Heading west today:yesnod:

--------------------
Having lived through an existence close to nature, one accepts the small and simple things as most important in life. Sun, wind, rain and snow. The sounds birds make, smells of fresh wild flowers. Love of all kinds, from friends and family, thy self and our neighbors. Beautiful sunrises to the darkest clouds dancing above in the sky. To forgive, learn, share and express. This is the only thing a man such as myself can ask for. What comes as the result is nothing short of the core of human existence, to truly live free in body and mind.

Invisiblebloodworm
cube con·nois·seur
Male User Gallery

Loc: 352
Re: Panaeolus olivaceus. [Re: NeoSporen]
    #16347199 - 06/07/12 04:01 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

well done man! :awesomenod:

:sunny:

:aliendance:
peace and love
bloodworm

InvisibleGravija
Make way for the cavalcade
Male User Gallery

Loc: Chicago, Illinois, USA
Trusted Identifier
Re: Panaeolus olivaceus. [Re: bloodworm]
    #16347213 - 06/07/12 04:05 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for being Bfogg, Bfogg. you and Byrain have both done a lot of work accurately documenting this species.
:bow2:

--------------------
Listen to my music

Here

OfflineNeoSporen
Antibiotic cream
Other User Gallery

Re: Panaeolus olivaceus. [Re: Gravija]
    #16347268 - 06/07/12 04:16 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I try my best, but sometimes the nature of only being in this field for 3 years shows through. Maybe in another 3 years I'll be where I want to be, but until then, just gotta keep working at things and reading books & papers. As always, i appreciate the kind words.:sunny:

Will bio assay later on tonight with fresh specimens:yesnod: Dried ones have that weird, "active" smell, but it's hard to say without testing them. All the stems turned a really cool purple color, but no blue as of yet. I'm excited, since last year I never really got enough to give it a go and feel confident it was enough for an assay.

--------------------

InvisibleThe Lightning
Mycology Enthusiast
 User Gallery

#16347365 - 06/07/12 04:36 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

All the stems turned a really cool purple color, but no blue as of yet.

One of the things I know can help with the bluing coloration change is to place the specimens in a smaller tupperware container with a lid that has a few holes drilled in it. Place in the fridge for about 12 hours, maybe less, and it should make a difference.

OfflineNeoSporen
Antibiotic cream
Other User Gallery

Re: Panaeolus olivaceus. [Re: The Lightning]
    #16347381 - 06/07/12 04:40 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I did that since about 12:00 yesterday afternoon. Just turned this super iridescent purple, but no blue.

--------------------

InvisibleThe Lightning
Mycology Enthusiast
 User Gallery

#16347403 - 06/07/12 04:43 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

The purple color change is cool too! Gotta pic?

OfflineNeoSporen
Antibiotic cream
Other User Gallery

Re: Panaeolus olivaceus. [Re: The Lightning]
    #16347444 - 06/07/12 04:49 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I'll post one later on. It is pretty cool looking, almost sparkles. Going out now to try and find more.

--------------------

InvisibleByrain

Trusted Identifier
Re: Panaeolus olivaceus. [Re: NeoSporen] * 1
    #16347463 - 06/07/12 04:52 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Nice work. :thumbup:
And your need to see the entire cell when measuring cystidia properly, the base is still embedded in the gill in your pics.  Here's an example of what I mean.

OfflineNeoSporen
Antibiotic cream
Other User Gallery

Re: Panaeolus olivaceus. [Re: Byrain]
    #16347474 - 06/07/12 04:54 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Yea, I'm gonna do a crush mount with some of the dry ones later on. Hopefully I can get some of them separated from the gills and measure the entire thing. Nice example picture:thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineNeoSporen
Antibiotic cream
Other User Gallery

#16349961 - 06/08/12 01:41 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

:mad2: My arch enemy, the lawn mower, decided to make some rounds through my area today. Almost every single good area to hunt was mowed :wtfsonic:

Least now I know they come by every other week on Thursday:yesnod:

Bio assay... :awecid:  :trippinbawelz: :vibin::thaaannks:

Edit: Fucking images are messed up again, just like the other week :zomgwtf:

Edit two: deleted bad pictures.

--------------------

Edited by NeoSporen (06/08/12 04:31 PM)

InvisibleStopwhispering
The voodoo peoples
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Melbourne Flag
Trusted Identifier
    #16349968 - 06/08/12 01:44 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Beautiful flower pics can't wait to see them all big and funky like. :thumbup:

OfflineNeoSporen
Antibiotic cream
Other User Gallery

Re: Panaeolus olivaceus. [Re: Stopwhispering]
    #16349974 - 06/08/12 01:46 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I'm pissed:mad2: This is twice in as many weeks. But thanks for the kind words:datass:

--------------------

InvisibleStopwhispering
The voodoo peoples
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Melbourne Flag
Trusted Identifier
    #16349980 - 06/08/12 01:50 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

bfogg8706 said:
I'm pissed:mad2: This is twice in as many weeks. But thanks for the kind words:datass:

I am just glad Madcaps massive post made it in before the picture apocalypse it is giving me crazy good ID practice.  :lol:

OfflineNeoSporen
Antibiotic cream
Other User Gallery

Re: Panaeolus olivaceus. [Re: Stopwhispering]
    #16349987 - 06/08/12 01:55 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

For sure:headbanger:

--------------------

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Trusted Identifier
    #16349994 - 06/08/12 01:59 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

And some random flowers:

#3 is Digitalis

OfflineNeoSporen
Antibiotic cream
Other User Gallery

Re: Panaeolus olivaceus. [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #16350010 - 06/08/12 02:09 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Yea, I love foxglove. It's one of my favorites, especially walking through clear cuts that are nothing but those flowers.

First one is Eschscholzia californica, second are Azalea, can't remember how to spell the name of the fourth one.

--------------------

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA
Trusted Identifier
    #16351662 - 06/08/12 11:50 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I'd say that is P. olivaceus.  Macroscopically it is correct and on some of the spore images, I think I can make out the rough edge.  Unfortunately, the PNW and Northern Europe specimens appear to be inactive.  The only active version with obvious bluing that I have seen is the Georgia collection (Confirmed with cultivation).  Active collections might be restricted to warmer climates.

One thing I have noticed fairly consistently is that P. olivaceus in the PNW is often associated with old dog poop.  They tend to grow in those greener clumps of grass enriched with old broken-down dog feces.  Searching grassy areas where people walk dogs is often fruitful.  No other Panaeolus seems to favor dog poop enriched grass.

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

InvisibleByrain

Trusted Identifier
Re: Panaeolus olivaceus. [Re: Workman]
    #16351685 - 06/08/12 11:54 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Workman said:
I'd say that is P. olivaceus.  Macroscopically it is correct and on some of the spore images, I think I can make out the rough edge.  Unfortunately, the PNW and Northern Europe specimens appear to be inactive.  The only active version with obvious bluing that I have seen is the Georgia collection (Confirmed with cultivation).  Active collections might be restricted to warmer climates.

The ones I found in CA are active, but rather weak, bfogg also reported these as active.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract