Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Air Stone, HEPA Filter, Laminar Flow Hood, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinechineseguy
Stranger

Loc: Chongqing, China
elavation and contams
    #1633740 - 06/14/03 09:28 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

my wife's whore lived in a 3rd floor apartment for over a year and had one jar get contaminated the entire time she  :smile: lived there. (about 1/100)

she recently moved to a new spot just down the street and has experienced severe problems with trichoderma.

even though the new place is just as clean than the old place and her obsessive sterility precautions remain the same, she has had this sudden rash  :shocked: of problems.

could moving from a thrid floor apartment to a place on ground level and near a busy street cause this or is it just something that happens this time of year? 

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDank420
Shrooms...Mmm

Loc: 'burbs of philly
Re: elavation and contams [Re: chineseguy]
    #1633839 - 06/14/03 10:30 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Most bacteria lives about a foot off the ground, I have 8 cakes up high in a non steralized closit, and have not had one contam yet. Take it as you will.

--------------------
"I tried marijuana once. I did not inhale." -William Clinton.

OfflineSev
Astropath
Loc: NY
Re: elavation and contams [Re: Dank420]
    #1636249 - 06/16/03 01:24 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Do you have central air/central heating that's going? That can spread spores from, say, the basement, to all over the house. This is most important while doing the actual innoculations, of course, but could certainly be a problem later on too.

It also could just be that since you're at ground level, you're getting more stirred-up airborn contams from outside. Don't what to say about that, other than suggesting a HEPA filter or something.

--------------------
"Do we want the stars? We can have them. Can we borrow cups of fire from the sun? We can and must and light the world." --"On the Shoulders of Giants", Ray Bradbury

All of my posts are full of fiction and blatant lies.

Offlinechineseguy
Stranger

Re: elavation and contams [Re: Sev]
    #1636574 - 06/16/03 04:27 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Do you have central air/central heating that's going? That can spread spores from, say, the basement, to all over the house. This is most important while doing the actual innoculations, of course, but could certainly be a problem later on too.

It also could just be that since you're at ground level, you're getting more stirred-up airborn contams from outside. Don't what to say about that, other than suggesting a HEPA filter or something.

i think youre right. i do have central air and did not have this at the old place, when i never got contams. also, theres mad traffic about 20 feet outside and iim sure this constant activity stirs up all sorts of vermon, but i need to open up and get some fresh air so i might need a HEPA..

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #1636699 - 06/16/03 06:29 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

If this contamination issues are before birthing then your problem could be solved with a glove box or flow hood to cut down on airborne contaminants (like trich).
If your problem is after birthing the cakes, then try to build a more air tight terrarium and use a bubbler to avoid hand fanning in a not so clean environment. A HEPA filter in the whole growing area would be great.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Offlinechineseguy
Stranger

Re: elavation and contams [Re: MAIA]
    #1637426 - 06/16/03 03:04 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

If your problem is after birthing the cakes, then try to build a more air tight terrarium and use a bubbler to avoid hand fanning in a not so clean environment. A HEPA filter in the whole growing area would be great.

this is indeed the case. i've learned over the past couple months that, contrary to the beliefs of some, a completely colonized and apparently healthy cake can become contaminated.

this problem is so bad that have been using an air bubbler (poor-mans-pod) recently and opened the terrarium only twice during a 10 day flush and still had signs of trich- been doing this for awhile and have never had any problems this bad SO i guess its time to invest in a HEPA.

OfflineMAIA
Male User Gallery

#1637871 - 06/16/03 06:02 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Watch out the air pump inlet. I use a filter with the tubing, this is great because it holds aerial particles, otherwise you'll be pumping air from the outside, with contaminant spores, to the inside.
You could use some H2O2 solution inside a jug of water inside the terrarium to filter the air, but the bubbles could still carry some spores (what i mean is not 100% efficiency in extreme situations), so that's why a filter would be a good idea.
You can find this filters in any pet store, at least i do, they look like a cylinder made of plastic, normally transparent, with a spongy like filtering material inside, the piece has two holes (in/out).

MAIA

--------------------

Voltaire

Edited by MAIA (06/16/03 06:05 PM)

OfflineMAIA
Male User Gallery

#1637928 - 06/16/03 06:25 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I found some old pics. Here's some of the tubing stuff with some valves set, a stone and the air filter.

...mmmm, why the hell i feel so green ?!?!?
MAIA

--------------------

Voltaire

Edited by MAIA (06/16/03 06:29 PM)

Offlinechineseguy
Stranger

#1639769 - 06/17/03 03:33 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

yeah, the air stones at the bottom of the chamber are submerged in peroxide solution which serves as the humidifier and yeah, its an imperfect method of filtering.

that filter looks like a great idea. i shall make a trip to the pet store ASAP- great suggestion MAIA  :wink: 

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Air Stone, HEPA Filter, Laminar Flow Hood, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum