Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Invisibletak_old
Endo Smoke

Loc: State of confusion
Re: Ego Death is an Illusion [Re: PsilosKube]
    #1636367 - 06/16/03 12:40 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

my cat comes when i call her name. My dog knows when its been bad, and puts its head down real low. When i say good boy, it wags its tail and gets happy. When i project anger it gets sad and lays down. When my cat jumps and accidently falls you can sense embarassment. When i pay more attention to one cat than the other, it becomes jealous. I dunno if this isself awareness, but i notice alot of humans doing the same thing, and we consider ourselves self aware.

But as for what you sid shroomism, i agree 100% that the ego cannot be really be killed, you can just kinda start to notice it, and know how it works and come to some sort of understanding with it. i guess? *shrug*

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
Re: Ego Death is an Illusion [Re: PsilosKube]
    #1636559 - 06/16/03 02:18 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Animals don't know they are going to die? How is it you know this?

I think it's plausible that there are some situations where animals do know that they are going to die, for example when facing death through terminal illness or when in the process of being eaten by another animal.

But there are no hints that animals walk around with the knowledge that they are going to die. For example, they never make efforts to be remembered after death, and they never visit graves of already-dead animals.

There are exceptions: elephants sometimes display behaviour that seems to indicate that they know about death, and this may be true for a few other intelligent species as well. But in the general case such indications are absent.

Quote:

Also, what makes you so sure that the human ego's purpose is the immortality of the individual?

Because at the root of the ego there is the causal feedback system that holds the individual together as something separate from the environment. The ego is the mental part of this system, another part is the body's immune defense. The purpose or function of this system is to ensure that the individual continues to exist.

That's how I see it anyway.

Edited by Rhizoid (06/16/03 02:21 AM)

OfflineDrBonG
JTO KREW

Re: Ego Death is an Illusion [Re: Rhizoid]
    #1636719 - 06/16/03 05:02 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

i think animals know that death is possible or what not, when they have babies they (well most animals) protect their babies from danger... why would they protect their young and themselves if death wasn't a threat to them?

--------------------
Cemetery lady, my cemetery girl
Cemetery baby, I want you in my world
Cemetery woman, we can still be down
You're more than just a corpse to a psychopathic clown

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
Re: Ego Death is an Illusion [Re: DrBonG]
    #1636782 - 06/16/03 06:29 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

True, animals know on some level that death is a threat to their existence, and to the successful propagation of their genes. But do they know that their existence will end one day no matter what they do, no matter how clever they are, and no matter how much effort they spend in trying to stay alive? I see no indications of this, with a few exceptions that I mentioned earlier. But I think most humans have this knowledge.

OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
Re: Ego Death is an Illusion [Re: Shroomism]
    #1637022 - 06/16/03 09:01 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

So, to view the ego as an enemy is to only amplify it's pride and stubbornness, but to embrace it with love and compassion is to soften and humble it? That is very wise.

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom