Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePsycheStudent
Stranger
The Other reality
    #1631559 - 06/13/03 04:53 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

The two components of being, mind and matter, hold two distinctly different realities. The reality of matter is the physical world of our day to day lives. The reality of the mind is a world of consciousness and is completely different form the material world. Our rules of science and everything we think we know do not apply to this world of consciousness. This is what some would think of as the world that is experienced in dreams, but it goes much deeper than the dream state. There is another world of pure consciousness and contains all of the knowledge that one could ever dream of attaining, all the spirits one could ever wish to come in contact with, and all the horror of facing the fact that our reality is not how we perceive it to be.

Edited by PsycheStudent (06/13/03 05:00 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinemanna_man
High onlife.....andcrack

Loc: Vancouver
Re: The Other reality [Re: PsycheStudent]
    #1631597 - 06/13/03 05:13 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

yea, and....?

--------------------
This post is protected under copyrite law.All above content is strictly the property of ?manna_man.Any infringement of copyright property is strictly prohibited.Any violators will be stretched, shot, and then vaporized into a state of anti-matter, where they will cease to exist.

OfflinePsycheStudent
Stranger
Re: The Other reality [Re: manna_man]
    #1631603 - 06/13/03 05:17 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

"yea, and...?"
And this reality is there for everyone to perceive on their own. What would you like me to do, spell everything out for you?

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
    #1631608 - 06/13/03 05:20 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Spell it out for me please... although i understand what you are saying. You say they are two distintly different realities, and although correct, they are linked closer then you may think

just my 2 cents

Offlinecastaway
Isanybodyreallyhome?
Male User Gallery
Re: Great, you're adapting; Please continue [Re: PsycheStudent]
    #1631980 - 06/13/03 08:08 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

"There is another world of pure consciousness and contains all of the knowledge that one could ever dream of attaining"-

Also been described as Akashic hall of records, or as the Oversoul as Jung put it I think.

Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

Loc: Aotearoa
    #1632503 - 06/14/03 02:11 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

So are you saying that you believe that the mind is non-physical? You said... "Our rules of science and everything we think we know do not apply to this world of consciousness. " Yet there are a lot of things that science has discovered about conciousness. You would be amazed if you went to some Psych lectures at university, how much is already known about how the brain creates our reality. Not to mention the fact that just because everything about the brain and the way it creates the mind, does not mean that there isn't a scientific explination for everything that is going on in your mind or in your 'spirit'.

Here is something for you to think about...when you take a dose of some shrooms or LSD, or a host of psychoactive drugs but especially psychedelics, look at how your 'world' is changed so dramatically. Your conciousness becomes very altered from usual, and there is a good chance if in the right setting you will have a profoundly 'spiritual' experience. And of course you can also have visual hallucinations, which are occuring in the 'mind'.

These drugs are chemical compounds, which alter your brain chemistry and the levels of neurological activity in certain areas, etc etc, every drug works in a different way but the point I am making is that look at the profound change in your 'mind' by ingesting even very tiny amounts of a physical molecule. If the mind is non-physical, then there is no way that this physical change in the body could effect the mind, that would require the mind to be made of something physical too.

Now don't get me wrong, I think that having spiritual feeling trips and experiences is cool, but I find it even more of an exhilerating trip to think about the fact that everything going on in my mind, everything happening around me, all of these amazing feelings are infact physical occurences happening....somehow...now...wow....

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: The Other reality [Re: zee_werp]
    #1632530 - 06/14/03 02:32 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I personally feel that when we look at how much perception of "reality" differs not only from person to person, but from moment to moment, it's clear there is no reality, at least not in the typical sense of existence. I see consciousness as an illusion which is altered by all the concepts we learn from our parents, schools, religion, etc... Anyway, when it comes down to it, the physical side of our consciousness is similar to the idea that our body is a vessel for the soul. It?s what allows us to perceive and function. The more we can learn to examine our emotions and understand what they truly mean (the fundamentals of psychiatry), the better we can shape our ?reality?.  :smile:

I think that?s the fascinating part about psychedelics, it allows us to over-ride the physical aspects of our body and mind, and when used properly, it can really get you more in touch with what your body and mind are trying to tell you. It can also allow us to perceive this "other reality" which I am fasinated by. Of course, it's very overwhelming as to what it actually is, but I think that's part of the experince.

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

Loc: Aotearoa
Re: The Other reality [Re: Twirling]
    #1632586 - 06/14/03 03:09 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I never did say that there was any one ultimate reality, the point I am trying to make is that whatever reality any individual does experience is a physical occurence in the brain. As well as looking at the amazing array of differences between individuals, maybe we should look at the even more amazing array of similarities between individuals as far as the mind goes. This goes to show that there is something to do with the structure of our brains etc. which influences our mental processes, obviously. The rest of what goes on is up to what some people like to call chaos (a-la Leary). And this is all part of the unknown. Unknown does not necessarily = non physical, it just means that the human nervous system is a verrrrry complicated thing which we are a long way off fully understanding!

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
    #1632600 - 06/14/03 03:28 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

The two components of being, mind and matter, hold two distinctly different realities.

I don't agree, I think this perceived difference is an illusion.
The so-called material world is stranger than we think, and our human perception of it is in large parts an artefact of 500 million years of biological evolution, which has produced brains that are rigged to perceive the world in a way that is useful for survival. But as we shroomers know, that's just one perspective.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: The Other reality [Re: Twirling]
    #1632987 - 06/14/03 01:08 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I personally feel that when we look at how much perception of "reality" differs not only from person to person, but from moment to moment, it's clear there is no reality, at least not in the typical sense of existence.

*sigh*

We return once again to the Swami ".44 Magnum Hollow Point to the Head" test; where in 100% of all participants will die if shot at close range, no matter their belief or perception of reality.

People, stop confusing a mistinterpretation or erroneous filtering of data as proof of a lack of consensus reality. The measuring machine (human) is faulty or changeable, not reality.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: The Other reality [Re: Swami]
    #1633053 - 06/14/03 02:07 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

I personally feel that when we look at how much perception of "reality" differs not only from person to person, but from moment to moment, it's clear there is no reality, at least not in the typical sense of existence.

*sigh*

We return once again to the Swami ".44 Magnum Hollow Point to the Head" test; where in 100% of all participants will die if shot at close range, no matter their belief or perception of reality.

People, stop confusing a mistinterpretation or erroneous filtering of data as proof of a lack of consensus reality. The measuring machine (human) is faulty or changeable, not reality.

What I meant was that there isn't this one narrow view of reality in the typical sense. Obvouisly there are rules and laws of physics which govern our existance and what happens, but I was speaking more in terms of the standard concept of "reality". In other words, people will often stick to their own view of reality, thinking "this is the way", while denying other viewpoints. The point I was trying to make is that often what we call reality is more often subjective interperation, but yes, there is however, some form of existance which we are all living apart of which is real. I'm not arguing that nothing exists, but more that the term "reality" is often misused to describe someone's perception of things.

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology