Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinelysergic
Mycophile!
A question about bulk substrate cultivation...
    #1631231 - 06/13/03 01:54 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I've read alot about this subject both in TMC and through the numerous well put together FAQ's and posts on the board. I'm going to basically describe the process in my own words so someone can review them and make sure I conceptually understand it.

The first step involves the inoculation of specific genetic material (spores) onto sterile grain. This is accompllished by mixing the proper ratio of grain to water in a large mason jar and autoclaving or pressure cooking. The jar is shaken after sterilization and the spores are injected (for this hypothetical, I'll be using a spore syringe). The jar is kept in conditions that are ideal for mycelial growth (dark, 84F, etc). When the first signs of mycelia appear, the jar is shaken vigorously. This shaking is repeated every few days until the jar is fully colonized.

Next, we prepare the substrate. Threshed pieces of straw are mixed with an organic fertilizer (worm castings, in this instance) in a pillow case. This pillowcase is placed in a large pot filled with water (so the entier pillowcase is under the water, the case is of course tied off). This water is brought to 170 degrees and remains there for a few hours. The pillowcase is then removed, squeezed to remove te water and allowed to dry/cool.

Now they are simply combined. In this instance, a large rubbermaid container is used. The container is cleaned out totally (bleach water, a warm water rinse, then a misting with 99% IPA right before usage). One pillow case of straw is put in and a few table spoons of spawn are mixed with this. This is done repeatedly until the entire container is full (save about 4 inches) with sterilzed straw/castings and the mycelia grown on grain.

This next step is my own and I'm wondering if it will work. A piece of tyvek or soem such barrier is placed on top of the entier container, then the lid is put on.

Check to see if the material is colonizing every so often. When it is fully colonized, add a casing layer, allow myceliato grow up into the sub-casing layer, patch case, and initiate fruiting.

how does that sound? The only real info I'd need before this may be attempted is the ratio of castings / straw and the ratio of water / rice in the mason jar. also, since h2o2 kills spores but not mycelia, can I mist the top of the straw layer with h2o2?

peace

--------------------
In response to an attack killing 15 American Servicemen
PsiloKitten said:
Just give em a little more time, the iraqis are making great progress. And this is unorganized. Wait till they get organized.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePooPs
What's thisfor???

Loc: Stirrin up the pile!
Re: A question about bulk substrate cultivation... [Re: lysergic]
    #1631241 - 06/13/03 02:00 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

not a few spoonfulls. but an entire jar or more..

ratio of colonized grain to straw/compost should be 1:5 or 1:10.. 1 part grain, 10 parts compost/straw.....

the rest sounds pretty good! you are on the right track!

--------------------

-----------
Sniff, Sniff... What's that smell???... ohhhhh.!!
------------------

Pot Free for another : nevermind.. never made it..

OfflineYeti_009
CryptoZoologicalAnimal

Loc: I. D.idnt A.sk H.ow O.ld
Re: A question about bulk substrate cultivation... [Re: PooPs]
    #1631468 - 06/13/03 04:08 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Sounds like you have a good grasp on bulk.. its way easier than cakes, in my opinion....
But i would use as much spawn as you can spare. Mix it really good, so that it can colonize faster. I dont think you need the Peroxide spray on the straw.. It is pretty resistant to contamination as is. Just go with it man

Offlinelysergic
Mycophile!
Re: A question about bulk substrate cultivation... [Re: Yeti_009]
    #1637980 - 06/16/03 06:51 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Awesome, I appreciate the info. What ratio would be ideal, 1:5 or 1:10?

--------------------
In response to an attack killing 15 American Servicemen
PsiloKitten said:
Just give em a little more time, the iraqis are making great progress. And this is unorganized. Wait till they get organized.

Invisible40oz
 User Gallery

Loc: Sandy Eggo. Ca.
Re: A question about bulk substrate cultivation...
    #1638750 - 06/17/03 03:18 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

ima give u 5 shroomz fer doing yer homework... :wink:
anybody want to match me?

--------------------
:pacman: - - - -  :pill: :mushroom2: :pill2: :mushroom2: :regularshroom: :mushroomgrow: :pill: :pill2: :mushroom2: :poison:

:sun::heart::sun:

tiny_rabid_birds said:
"your avatar is dirty."

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation