Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Petri Dish, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDionysus
Initiate

Loc: Canada
No growth detected! Help!
    #1629404 - 06/12/03 06:58 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I am experiencing a minimal (or no) growth of my mycelium cultures.
I have the temperature at about 80F, what temperatures should I avoid? Would it be worth heating it up a bit?  :confused:
I am considering using a dropper and adding some moisture to the grain mixture, how careful do I need to be concerning wetness in the test tubes?
I shaked up the tube a couple of days ago to ensure that it has been spread around a bit. But I only have about six or seven entire grains per test tube that have been totally covered by mycelium. It almost looks as though the mycelium has stopped growing. I am quite patient, but the lack of growth has caused some concern. What could be the cause of this?
Grain moisture?
Temperature?
Humidity?
Air intake?

I found this;
Spawn Run:
Relative Humidity: 90%.
Substrate Temperature: 84?F - 86?F. Thermal death limits have been established at 106?F.
Duration: 10-14 days.
CO2: 5000 - 10,000 ppm.
Fresh Air Exchanges: 0 per hour.

According to this I should pump up my temperature from 78 up to 85 and go from 40% humidity to 90%. Does anyone think this will help speed up and spread out the mycelium in the test tubes? What should I do?  :frown:
Thank you so much for your help in this matter.

--------------------
"To arrive at the edge of the world's knowledge, seek out the most complex and sophisticated minds, put them in a room together, and have them ask each other the questions they are asking themselves."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: No growth detected! Help! [Re: Dionysus]
    #1629433 - 06/12/03 07:14 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

This is in a test tube? The grain ?!?!

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

OfflineDionysus
Initiate

Re: No growth detected! Help! [Re: micro]
    #1629442 - 06/12/03 07:19 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Yes, the grain mixture is in test tubes at this time. I need to have them 'run through with mycelium' before continuing to inoculate the soil. However, growth seems to have ceased!

--------------------
"To arrive at the edge of the world's knowledge, seek out the most complex and sophisticated minds, put them in a room together, and have them ask each other the questions they are asking themselves."

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #1629445 - 06/12/03 07:20 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Usually one would use jars instead of test tubes for this step.

Invisiblecalicyco

Re: No growth detected! Help! [Re: micro]
    #1629455 - 06/12/03 07:24 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Heh. Reminds me of the old homestead method of growing mushrooms. This was over a decade ago, but they had you do the first agar transfer to a test tube filled with wild bird seed. Then transfer the colonized bird seed to compost.

Nothing wrong with it, its just kind of a small container. Could be usefull for kicking off a quart jar from agar wedges. If you first transfered to a sterile test tube with grain in it, let that colonize (should only take a few days) then dump that into a 1 qt rye jar, then proceed as normal - maybe that would speed up the first 1 qt jars colonization time.

The mycellium might not be covering certain grain kernels because they are contamination with bacteria, or perhaps too dry/wet.

In a test tube, you need to be extra carefull of wetness, which is more a problem then dryness. There isn't a lot of grain to soak up any extra moisture hanging around.

Perhaps its the lack of fresh air? There isn't much air in a test tube and there needs to be at least SOME air exchange going on during spawn running. Not much, but a little bit. Perhaps open the tube in sterilize conditions and "pour" off some co2?

Invisiblecalicyco

Re: No growth detected! Help! [Re: calicyco]
    #1629462 - 06/12/03 07:26 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Before you inocculate the soil? Are you using the homestead method? Where did you get your instructions? You are about 10 years behind the times Dionysus :-) The way you are doing is very error prone and very difficult. Plus the soil is very poor substrate.

You should read the grow guides here and update your methods...

OfflineDionysus
Initiate

#1629487 - 06/12/03 07:36 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks calicyco,
Yes, I am using the homestead method. I had no idea it was so outdated, I just thought there were other ways. I am new to this (obviously) so I figured that if I went with the homestead system (I bought the kit) it would be a lot easier and simpler than the other methods I have learned about which I thought would be ore complicated. This all is too bad to hear. What do you suggest I do now. I have three test tubes that are only about 10% colonized (or less). I still have a spore print from the kit. Should I attempt to use the spore print and quart sized jars? or go for the spore syringes? Can this be salvaged? How would you suggest I proceed with this?

--------------------

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
    #1629509 - 06/12/03 07:45 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Inject some sterile spores or sterilized fungal cells into sterilized jars or bags of grain or a brown rice flour : vermiculite mixture.

You'll find the rest in:

http://www.shroomery.org/faq.htm

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Invisiblecalicyco

#1629519 - 06/12/03 07:50 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

For a beginner, the homestead process is waaaaaay too complicated. It uses agar, petri's, a paper spore print, etc. etc.

Its like learning to drive on a formula one race car. You'll have a hard time even starting the damn thing :-)

Best bet? Order a $10 spore syringe and follow the grow guides in the FAQ section of this site. You can go ahead and use the spore print on agar, etc, but you are bound to get frustrated and think this is a hard thing to do. Its really not. Its just that the homestead method is advanced, and as you are seeing, confusing to someone new.

I'm not sure what to do at this point, the best thing would probably be to wait out the grain. Let it go for another week or two, and see if it colonizes the grain. If it doesn't, you have a contam most likely. You didn't specify how you prepared everything but I would bet that since you are so new at this you weren't totally clean in every step. Especially since this method is SOOO prone to contamination. It uses wild bird seed, paper spore print, etc. etc. Bird seed needs to usually be treated prior to using, such as soaking for 24-48 hours, pressure cooking for 90 minutes. Paper spore prints are very easy to contaminate and need to be carefully isolated on agar in petri dishes in totally sterile lab conditions.

Anybody else have any ideas? I would just go ahead and spend the extra 10 bucks to get a spore syringe, get some half pint jars, some vermiculite and some brown rice flower.

Start here: http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/3172

You'll see what I'm talking about. You'll be much happier and actually succeed. I have a hard time believing that anybody has ever succeeded the first time using the homestead method, and if they do its pure dumb luck.

OfflineDionysus
Initiate

#1629548 - 06/12/03 07:59 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the advice!

--------------------

Offlinejakeholman
crotch rocketsrule!

#1629821 - 06/12/03 09:50 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

it is good advice and you should use it. if you use the pf tek, you will be pretty much guaranteed results if you follow the tek exactly, and then you will learn more about the process and what you can do to make it better: use grain, spawn with cow shit=huge shrooms. good luck, and once ur done reading the faq, you are more than free to post any more questions you have-pm me if you have any specific questions you cant find the answers to.
Jake H

--------------------
The above statement is fictitious and for entertainment purposes only. I do not use or condone the use of illegal substances, nor do I use or condone the use of legal substances in an illegal manner.

OfflineDionysus
Initiate

Re: No growth detected! Help! [Re: jakeholman]
    #1629932 - 06/12/03 10:30 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks Jake.
I actually probably will have more questions. Expect some inquiries headed your way!
:smile:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Petri Dish, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation