Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemushfarm
Stranger
Oyster Mushrooms Vs. the dreaded Green Forest Mold
    #16287236 - 05/26/12 10:42 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

My set up would probably make most mycologists cringe.  I have a greenhouse next to the main house.  To top it off I was taking the waste from a coffee shop for a couple of years.  The green infection was so bad at one point that the spores literally looked like smoke coming out of the pile when it got turned.

On top of that I keep my worm farms in there and feed my junk substrates into their systems.

After my Oyster strains matured I started to introduce them into the greenhouse and the green mold has mostly disappeared.  The roof beams that used to show stands of green now are turning white.  There are huge clumps of beautiful white mycelium in my coffee pile as well.

However in the front of my house where Oysters have not been introduced there is still that nasty green stuff.

I honestly believe that the Oysters kicked the green molds but even without pasteurization.

Anyone else experience similar?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Oyster Mushrooms Vs. the dreaded Green Forest Mold [Re: mushfarm]
    #16287263 - 05/26/12 10:49 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Nope.

I suspect the 'white mycelium' you're seeing is trichoderma from those green spores.  Trichoderma inhabits nearly every square inch of soil on the planet, even in areas where oyster mushrooms prolifically grow wild.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleTrametes
 User Gallery

Re: Oyster Mushrooms Vs. the dreaded Green Forest Mold [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #16288215 - 05/26/12 02:52 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Mushfarm, if you plan on going commercial id suggest what Roger did in another thread. Learn the sterile technique, buy the necessary equipment, and do everything yourself. Your own plates/LC, grain, etc. The way you have it now it sounds like you are just asking for a giant contaminated mess. If you are going to invest money in this, dont cut any corners, do it right.

Offlinemushfarm
Stranger
Re: Oyster Mushrooms Vs. the dreaded Green Forest Mold [Re: Trametes]
    #16289500 - 05/26/12 08:24 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

But my best shrooms come out of my mess.  I have rock hard slabs of Oyster in my compost heap that have that particular smell and have harvested clumps that weight several pounds each.  I have not been able to get anything near that in my 'clean' rooms.

I am starting to think that Oysters like to get beat about the head and ears while they grow.

I am planting this weekend and tearing apart my compost piles and there are Blue Oyster clumps everywhere.  Everywhere!  And they got established from me tossing my failed runs on my compost heaps.

You want pics?

OfflineMycelio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Berlin Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Oyster Mushrooms Vs. the dreaded Green Forest Mold [Re: mushfarm]
    #16289727 - 05/26/12 09:20 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Contaminated cultures and especially oysters often survive and fruit on a compost pile for a while. Taking over large areas is rare.
This one was funny:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6919477#6919477

And sure, pics would surely be interesting.

Carsten

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds