Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous

Programming books or tutorials?
    #1628385 - 06/12/03 10:36 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I have to write a program for a university project, but I don't really know any programming languages. The only stuff I know is mIRC script from back in the day and a little bit of Java from a course I took freshman year. But I've pretty much forgotten everything I learned about Java already. So can anyone recommend a good book or online tutorial to help me learn Java or some basic programming language?

Since I changed my major to computer engineering I thought it would be a good idea to know some programming anyway before I go out in the field. What language should I start with and what are some other useful ones to learn?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTwista
Fire it up
Male

Loc: Central Florida
Re: Programming books or tutorials? [Re: ]
    #1628455 - 06/12/03 11:20 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

visual basic is pretty easy and will get you familar with Visual Studio. I say snatch a copy from someone online or otherwise and get cracking at that. Feel free to pm me about any programming q's you might have. Programming is apart of my profession.

InvisibleSHiZNO
-

Re: Programming books or tutorials? [Re: Twista]
    #1628695 - 06/12/03 01:13 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I would recommend to stay away from VB/Visual Basic, its probably not a good idea to be restricted to one OS (windows)...especially when programming.

C/C++ is probably your best bet, as its nice fast and very complete, and best of all, cross platform.

If you decide to learn C itll make learning most other languages easier (Java/C++) as they all tend to follow proper programming 'habbits' while VB tends to have 'bad' habbits... (Altho knowing a bit of BASIC is handy when you want a TINY little calc app in windows etc (it has a place))...

C++ the complete reference by herb schiltz is a nice book, will get you into C AND C++, also has the complete STL library, and is very easy to get the reference... (you can actually learn C/C++ from reading it even tho its a reference!

I dont know why you want to program, but if you EVER plan on writing 'medium/large' apps or GAMES you should DEFANITELY go with C/C++.... (I write games for Xbox C++/DX, and code AI and various PC apps, you cant go wrong with C)

--------------------

InvisibleSHiZNO
-

Re: Programming books or tutorials? [Re: SHiZNO]
    #1628700 - 06/12/03 01:15 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

PS: Computer engineering uses ASM most i believe, while science uses C/C++, but im sure yuo'll be using C in engineering too, i doubt you'll ever use VB, but im not so sure about public education nowadays so.

--------------------

InvisibleSHiZNO
-

#1628728 - 06/12/03 01:31 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

PSS: I dont want to offend any BASIC programmers (I spent a few years of my life living and breathing VB :frown: ), it DOES have a place! Its just nowdays I tend to try be as multi platform as possible (cept the only console i dev for is Xbox for personal reasons)

--------------------

Invisiblebilly cuts
turntablingmycologist

Loc: Saturn
    #1628809 - 06/12/03 02:13 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

If you learn C++ you'll dive right into Object Orietated Programming. I can recommend a few books:

For C -
"Type and Learn C" Swan - hands down the best C tutorial IMO

For C++ -
"C++ Primer Plus" Prata
"Problem Solving with C++" Savitch - great book for the beginner

Java -
"Java 2 in Plain English" Overland, Morrison - tutorials with a complete API reference

I personally think VB has it's qualities, especially for prototyping bits and pieces of a larger project. I've written software in VB that I've released via freeware. The only thing I don't like is the DLL files aren't included with every version of windows, so you either have to include them in the archive or point the user to a place where they can download it.

I like Pascal alot, wrote A TON of programs in Turbo Pascal in my time. Same with BASIC, you can do some pretty crazy shit with QuickBasic.

I mostly just program in C++ and Java.

Invisiblebilly cuts
turntablingmycologist

Re: Programming books or tutorials? [Re: billy cuts]
    #1628817 - 06/12/03 02:18 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Here's some decent links to tutorials and shit:

http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial.html

http://members.tripod.com/jcarbrey/cpp_programming_sourcecode/tutorial.htm

http://www.ddj.com/ftp/ <--- more source code than you could ever need. great to get a snippet out of

http://www.apl.jhu.edu/~hall/java/

Oh yeah, and a couple good VB boosk -
Mastering Visual Basic 5
The Visual Guide to Visual Basic

The "Teach Yourself XXXX in 24 Hours or 7 Days" series of books are decent too.

Invisiblebilly cuts
turntablingmycologist

#1628824 - 06/12/03 02:21 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Java is one of the only true cross-platform languages (i.e. you don't have to change the code to have it run on a Mac or a linux box or BeOS or whatever) C++ is cross-platform in that it has been standardized, being that the same commands work on each platform. However, you still have to change a lot of your code to be able to access memory and hardware on those different platforms....

Anonymous

#1628939 - 06/12/03 03:09 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks everyone. I've been trying out VB for a couple hours now with VB Studio 6 and some online references, and it's pretty simple (I guess that's why it's Basic heh). It seems C++ and Java are the most popular/useful languages to know, so I'll move on to those soon enough. Perl and ASP wouldn't be a bad idea either if I were to work on building web sites, too. So much to learn! :laugh: But I'm actually excited about this. Call me crazy but I think I just found what I'd like to do for a living. 

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology