Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Microscope, Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedoo
addict -crazy as a shithouse rat
 User Gallery

Loc: Slingshit, China
doo's mystery shroom part 2 (s'more pics)
    #1626991 - 06/11/03 07:29 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Here's some more pics from Sept 2002 of the purple brown spored unidentified mushrooms...........

This is what the previous mushroom looked like a few days earlier, before it started to dry out....

This was a nice cluster of mushrooms. I left 'em so I could photograph them through their growth process over a few days. These mushrooms occasionally have a frosty look to the caps. That's the way I would describe it anyway.

The same cluster of shrooms 3 days later....

Again, the same cluster of mushrooms, 3 days after the last pic ( a couple of shrooms are missing,they were picked for prints). Notice the different color of the caps. It would be ez to mistake these as different species.

A closer view..........

Here's some that were picked. The caps have a wide range of color....

Some closeup views..........

The red background trick  :cool: ............ sorry, they're a little blurry...........

I only have 1 KB left, so I guess that's all the pics for today. I 'll post some more tomorrow.

doo

--------------------
- Arguing with a woman, is like trying to blow out a light bulb-

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
Re: doo's mystery shroom part 2 (s'more pics) [Re: doo]
    #1626998 - 06/11/03 07:31 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

nice pics, doo. i especially like the cluster of mushrooms... it's amazing how a single species' appearance can change so much with age!

--------------------
Namaste.

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: 352
Re: doo's mystery shroom part 2 (s'more pics) [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #1627078 - 06/11/03 08:04 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

yes nice posts. those look like the wierdest purple/brown spored mushrooms i have ever seen. i have no idea. all i can say that since they are most probably strophariaceae if the caps were strongly viscid. since there are no veils or rings on the stalk, this rules out Stropharia. and according to Aurora's book this basically rules out Naematoloma also since the cap is dull-colored AND viscid. i end with the ingenious conclusion that these are in fact Psilocybe mushrooms.

as a percaution check out Naematoloma dispersum on pg. 384 of "Mushrooms Demystified," although this species seems to be 'dispersed' and gregarious rather than clustered. in the comments it lists N. ericaeum which was accessed through the Psilocybe key in that book (it might by Hypholoma ericaeum or a different name now). i dunno perhaps, something?

perhaps look at comments in Stamets book under Psilocybe atrobrunnea (growns near or on sphagnum bogs)
it lists P. washingtonensis, P. physaloides, ps. inquilina, and then Naem. (Hypholoma) dispersum and N. (H.) udum as similar species. no info on those species anywhere i can find however.

i feel like im really throwing things into the wind now, i have nothing left.

Edited by MagmaManiac (06/11/03 08:29 PM)

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1627455 - 06/11/03 11:04 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I'm going to (wildly) guess that those are Psathyrellas.

Try checking out this page which has good information on the genus.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineMitchnast
Trial by Madness
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Mahjong

Loc: Okanagan
    #1627470 - 06/11/03 11:07 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

looks like you got some Naematoloma dispersum there

--------------------

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: doo's mystery shroom part 2 (s'more pics) [Re: Mitchnast]
    #1627559 - 06/11/03 11:40 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

psathyrellas are rarely viscid, but perhaps.

doo, tell us how that whole spore microscope gimmick works out.

Offlinedoo
 User Gallery

#1627567 - 06/11/03 11:47 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I'm fairly sure these aren't Psathyrellas. The psathyrellas species I've come across are usually fairly fragile mushrooms. Their stems and caps break off very easily. These little mushrooms I'm finding are much more sturdier than the Psathyrella species.
While they resemble the Hypholomas (Naematoloma), if I'm not mistaken Hypholomas are not strongly hygrophaneous, if at all. Naematoloma dispersum is not listed as an East Coast species. Of course that doesn't mean it's not here (N.C.), it just hasn't been found and /or recorded by anyone here yet.
These have enough of the characteristics of the psilocybes(- gills, - a separable gelatinous pellicle, - purple-brown spores, - and flesh that sometimes bruises bluish) that lead me to believe they are a psilocybe of some sort.

doo

--------------------

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1627580 - 06/11/03 11:53 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

yes i agree that these are Psilocybe specimens.

did you check out some of the 'propositions' i posted earlier? :smile:

good luck, and how is that spore-analysis going? 

Offlinedoo
 User Gallery

Re: doo's mystery shroom part 2 (s'more pics) [Re: MagmaManiac]
    #1627650 - 06/12/03 12:23 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Magma, I've checked out the descriptions of those and other species of psilocybes and compared them to what I found, several times. Their characteristics fit a few of the others, but I've not been able to narrow it down to a single species. Psilocybe caerulipes and P.cubensis are the only 2 listed for my area. Caerulipes, being lignicolous, would be the main suspect. A lot of the psilocybes resemble each other macroscopically, so trying to ID these from photos alone is probably not going to do it anyway.
I haven't sent the sporeprints out, but since you brought it up, I'm gonna try to have'em in the mail by tomorrow. As a matter of fact, I'm gonna go get 'em ready after I get off of this damn computer :grin:

doo   

--------------------

OfflineMitchnast
Trial by Madness
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Mahjong

Loc: Okanagan
    #1627653 - 06/12/03 12:24 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------

Offlinedoo
 User Gallery

#1627694 - 06/12/03 12:43 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

No one ever solved the mystery, at least not to my satisfaction.In some later posts about these same mushies, Mj had a mycologist in Japan take a look at some pics and he couldn't positively determine if it was a Naematoloma or Psilocybe for sure. He seemed to think it was more likely a psilocybe, but a non-active species. I finally found some specimens that showed greenish-blue bruising of the stem and posted those pics awhile back, to show that they may be active. I've always suspected these of being caerulipes, as have a few others, but I'm not a mycologist, so I can't confirm that.
I was hoping, by posting more pics, that someone else may have come across this mushroom, and have an idea as to what they are.

doo

--------------------

Offlinedoo
 User Gallery

#1627741 - 06/12/03 01:00 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

.... I finally found some specimens that showed greenish-blue bruising of the stem and posted those pics awhile back, to show that they may be active.....

I checked my earlier posts and apparently I never posted those photos at this site. I posted them at the old Forest Floor site instead. I'll try to find'em and post'em here when I get the chance.

doo

--------------------

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1628783 - 06/12/03 01:58 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

yea, please pots those pics. and are you sure that all of the pics are of the same species? the ones in your last post certainly look a lot like Ps. caerilupes but in Auroras book, they just as well keyed out to be a species similar to Naematoloma dispersum that is called N. ericaeum. the only difference is that it is "a southern species with a slightly viscid brown to ochre cap."

doo, have you checked the mushroom's demystified description of N. dispersum although im pretty sure you would have. compare it as much as you can.

if its not N. eriicaeum/dispersum or closely related then it must be a psilocybe. MJ where are you? i read that whole post that is linked up there^^^^ and it really didnt come to anything except several speculations and a final word on Naematoloma sp. by MJ. i am 98% sure this is not P. pelliculosa.

other than that, the species i listed before is all i can think of.

Offlinedoo
 User Gallery

#1628987 - 06/12/03 03:24 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Howdy Magma  :smile:

Although I'm not by any stretch of the imagination, a mycologist, I'm fairly sure these are all of the same species. As I mentioned earlier, I've been photographing and observing these mushrooms for over 3 years, in different environments, and through different stages of their growth process. At first I thought they were different species myself, because of their appearance. Some psilocybes species can be highly variable in their macroscopic characteristics, so I quit pickin' em and started watching them grow from pins to way past maturity. In the Pacific Northwest, I realize you can have several different psilocybes growing in the same specific area, but here in N.C., I think the chance of that happening is rare to non-existent ( according to reports, caerulipes is the only active lignicolous psilocybe found here, so far anyway).
I haven't ruled out that these are a species of Naematoloma, or perhaps P.atrobrunnea, or P.physaloides or something similiar, or even as you suggest, separate species.
I hope Mj takes another look at these. I'm hoping some characteristic will jog his memory ( even though I know he's an old dude like me, whose memory as in my case , ain't what it use to be  :wink: ..........hehehe.....). I don't expect him, or anyone else to positively ID these from a bunch of photos. As Mj mentions in his ID post, there are over 200 psilocybe species.
Hopefully the microscopic views, when completed, will narrow down the ID ( I sent out the prints today) .

doo

--------------------

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1629832 - 06/12/03 09:54 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

yea i was just making sure they were the same species, but its probably just because the pics in this post are somewhat blurry. in the previous that is linked about, the mushrooms couldnt look more Ps. caerilupes in Stamets first pic. although pic iding is kind of superficial

WE NEED YOU MJ! :grin: mj mentioned something in the other post about them being Naematoloma but he didnt know which species yet. i hope he can get something out of this.

but i think the best way for you to id them is to collect several specimens ranging in maturity and color appearance (possibly because of substrate etc) and compare them critically to the various Naematoloma species and Ps. cearilupes, perhaps Ps. atrobrunnea and related species and other suspected species. we gotta get this one down  :wink:

(i feel like my posts are ending too abruptly so im gonna put in a nice signature and 'nickname' that i use on some occasions :cool:)

-lavacrazy

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Microscope, Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification