Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!
I should have asked this beforehand as I already did it, but I put all of my contaminated jars into the compost. Is this a bad idea?
What is more important to me though is 2 of my jars were full of black mold. Upon opening them up and breaking up the wbs with a fork I noticed how airborn the stuff was, it just looked as though the jars were steaming. I was wearing a face mask and held my breath, but I know those are of limited use. I'm probably fine, but knowing how nasty that stuff is I was also wondering how likely it is I'd have some kind of lung/respiratory issues from it. I didn't noticably breath any in, but I'm sure it's next to impossible nothing got in, should I be worried at all and are there any kind of precautions I can take after the fact?
im not totally sure about the compost pile, but IME the outdoor environment handles things very very well... good bacteria and the sort.
as for inhaling black mold... as long as you dont produce any symptoms, i would say youre fine. if you have insurance, a little trip to the doc never hurts... say the mold was on some old clothes in your garage, etc.
Lets keep in mind that we inhale thousands of mold spores with each breath we take. I do hold my breath when disposing of moldy jars into my worm bins and I avoid getting in contact with spore clouds, but I see no need to be worried after wearing a mask plus holding my breath.