Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Flaming Lips
    #1622553 - 06/09/03 10:45 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I just bought "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" and I fucking love it! I can't believe I've been in the dark about these guys for so long.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinethestringphish
vajrayana

Loc: on my way to another plac...
Re: Flaming Lips [Re: silversoul7]
    #1622593 - 06/09/03 11:00 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

The flaming lips are great.

You should get Zaireeka and put on all four disk's at once (the discs are actually made to be played simultaneously!) and trip out to it.

--------------------
Ken Wilbur

"this is life changing"

welcomehome

InvisibleOctopusDr
Octi Doci

#1622668 - 06/09/03 11:29 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Thats what I thought when I first bought that ablum. Its really good.

OfflineRob_K
s p a c e d

Loc: London
Re: Flaming Lips [Re: OctopusDr]
    #1623076 - 06/10/03 04:37 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I don't know if I'm missing something, but I heard the single "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" and didn't like it at all.. I thought the lyrics were awful, the guy can't really sing (ever seen them live??) and I just found it really dreary, not something music should be.. Anyone care to show me the light?

--------------------
-{ divined from the mind }--

My music

Invisibleadrug

Re: Flaming Lips [Re: Rob_K]
    #1623600 - 06/10/03 11:58 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Did you hear the whole album or just the Yoshimi song? Personally, that is my least favorite song on the album. I've been in love with the Flaming Lips since about 1995, though they really are an acquired taste. Try listening to some older albums like Transmissions From the Satellite Heart or Clouds Taste Metallic, they're a slightly different style than Yoshimi.

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
Re: Flaming Lips [Re: adrug]
    #1623886 - 06/10/03 02:28 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

hehe that's one of my fav songs...
That album is awesome, his style seems like it's so much fun to make. the song after yoshimi... reminds me of a Kids in the Hall sketch. If you want to hear more good ones form that cd, grab 'Fight Test' or 'In the Morning of Musicians'
trip to it!

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

Edited by Blastrid (06/10/03 02:31 PM)

Offlinethestringphish
vajrayana

Re: Flaming Lips [Re: Blastrid]
    #1625429 - 06/11/03 12:15 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

It really is music to trip to.

--------------------
Ken Wilbur

"this is life changing"

welcomehome

Invisiblefunkymonk
Get's down, withthe get-down.
 User Gallery

Loc: saskatchewan
Re: Flaming Lips [Re: thestringphish]
    #1625481 - 06/11/03 12:51 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

so whats the deal with the people in the band? LSD? heroin? I find that alot of good music is brought out with help of drugs, and what drug(s) it is influences the music....
**edit** i just realized that sounded like i think that drugs=music, but i dont think thats the case :tongue:

Edited by funkymonk (06/11/03 12:53 AM)

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Flaming Lips [Re: funkymonk]
    #1625829 - 06/11/03 06:39 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

oh, no doubt, many artists put out their best material while dealing with heroin addiction. Dpeche Mode is a great example. The "straight" stuff pales in comparison.

Offlinethestringphish
vajrayana

Re: Flaming Lips [Re: debianlinux]
    #1627753 - 06/11/03 11:10 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

John Fruciante got incredibly good AFTER he quit heroin, but in many cases that is true. I'm not sure about all the members of the band, but the Flaming Lips singer, Wayne Coyne, has done his fair share of acid. He is one rock star who likes to get high, but he's not into the harder stuff, just the psychedelics(supposedly, anyway). I would imagine though, if he's doing that stuff it's likely the other guys in the band are as well.

Here's what the All Music Guide says about Zaireeka.

(Really, You should get it and listen to it, it's a trip.)

A combination of the words "Zaire" and "Eureka," Zaireeka is a term coined by Flaming Lips frontman Wayne Coyne symbolizing the fusion of anarchy and genius. It's a perfect title; Zaireeka is the culmination of the Lips' helter-skelter brilliance. Pushing the concept of interactive listening into new realms of possibility, the work extends Coyne's infamous "parking lot experiments" into not merely one album, but four separate discs that can be played separately or in groups of two, three, and four with multiple stereos. (Properly synchronized multi-disc playback requires more than one person ? it's literally a party album.) Between combining the discs and toying with volume, balance, fidelity, etc., the options are truly limitless. No two multi-disc performances can be repeated, thanks to the space-time continuum and discrepancies from one CD player to another. Musically as well as conceptually, the Lips are defiantly experimental throughout Zaireeka; individually, each disc sounds more like free jazz than pop, although Coyne's diamond-sharp melodic sensibilities prevail even during the most chaotic moments. With each additional disc, the music's force and ingenuity reveals itself: "Riding to Work in the Year 2025 (Your Invisible Now)" is an epic orchestral noise suite, "Thirty-Five Thousand Feet of Despair" is a multi-narrative plane-crash drama remarkably evocative in its depiction of fear and chaos, and "How Will We Know? (Futuristic Crashendos)" features such extreme high and low frequencies that it can lead to disorientation, confusion, or nausea (the track is not recommended to be played while operating a motor vehicle or in the presence of infants). Logistical nightmares aside, Zaireeka is a dense, difficult work, recommended only for the hardiest Flaming Lips fetishists; however, they're in for the musical experience of a lifetime. ? Jason Ankeny

--------------------
Ken Wilbur

"this is life changing"

welcomehome

OfflineMilkyMedia
Lost Soul

Re: Flaming Lips [Re: thestringphish]
    #1627798 - 06/11/03 11:41 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

i'm got some pictures from a flaming lips show here in san diego i'll scan and post in the next few days....they are hilarious.

OfflineMilkyMedia
Lost Soul

Re: Flaming Lips [Re: MilkyMedia]
    #1630606 - 06/13/03 02:40 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

A few pictures of the San Diego show....my opinion...greatest concert i've seen!

Offlinejoepj02
ego tripping
Re: Flaming Lips [Re: MilkyMedia]
    #3414108 - 11/26/04 09:44 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

i tripped out to the soft bulletin album last night...one of my best trips to date. it really opened a window for me to contemplate about life and things going on lately. i would definitely do it again.

--------------------
"Mr. Pibb is a poor excuse for Dr. Pepper....the dude aint even got his degree!!"--MItch Hedberg R.I.P. 1968-2005

InvisibleDirtMcgirt
in a pinch
 User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Re: Flaming Lips [Re: Rob_K]
    #3415349 - 11/27/04 09:07 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

I thought the lyrics were awful, the guy can't really sing (ever seen them live??)

The FL are definitely an acquired taste like radiohead or something. I couldn't stand them at first either but I got into them a little while trippin' and then I saw them about a year and a half ago in Santa Barbara where they played their own set and backed up Beck afterwards. Needless to say they basically took over his set and I've been a huge fan ever since. A great band if your trippin or smokin or just need some good background music...

--------------------
"And we, inhabitants of the great coral of the Cosmos, believe the atom (which still we cannot see) to be full matter, whereas, it too, like everything else, is but an embroidery of voids in the Void, and we give the name of being, dense and even eternal, to that dance of inconsistencies, that infinite extension that is identified with absolute Nothingness and that spins from its own non-being the illusion of everything."

InvisibleToolTroll
tourettic
Male User Gallery

Loc: N. Cack
Re: Flaming Lips [Re: DirtMcgirt]
    #3417603 - 11/27/04 09:31 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah!!! The Flaming Lips at Bonnaroo 2003 was the most intense, psychedelic, fuck-with-your-brain concert I have ever been to. Even more intense than TOOL, which is saying alot. Music to trip your balls of to...  :smile:

P.S. Don't snort your brain.

--------------------
"This whole idea that different is bad, that a change in consciousness is in itself harmful, is really one of the fundamental problems inherent in the drug war.” - Rick Doblin
my cactus collection
You vote with your dollars. Everyday. Vote responsibly.

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: Flaming Lips [Re: ToolTroll]
    #3419316 - 11/28/04 01:14 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

ToolTroll said:
Yeah!!! The Flaming Lips at Bonnaroo 2003 was the most intense, psychedelic, fuck-with-your-brain concert I have ever been to

:yesnod:

I'd highly recommend seeing the Flaming Lips live if you haven't already - I'm a big fan of their music, but their live concerts are, simply put, amazing . (oh and if you are in a place where it is legal to do so, try taking some psychedelics before the show! not too much, though, as the concert alone is pretty mind-blowing)

--------------------

OfflineAsco
Explorer of theMind

Loc: Montreal
Re: Flaming Lips [Re: Krishna]
    #3419739 - 11/28/04 03:54 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Is there anywhere I can get their tour dates? I know they've been to Montreal at least once but I never listened to them before hehe:)

Supposedly they are really creazy during a show with huge baloons and furries everywhere.

OfflineTinTree
thread killer(semi pro)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mu
    #3421511 - 11/28/04 10:41 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I recently discovered 'Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots' as well.
I find it to be quite good. I hear the Flaming Lips are playing with Wilco New Year's Eve in NYC; should be some amazing shit, maybe I'll make it there.

--------------------
"I'm afraid of losing my obscurity. Genuineness only thrives in the dark. Like celery."
- Aldous Huxley

Offlinedruqks46
its dat woowoo
Loc: trees
Re: Flaming Lips [Re: TinTree]
    #3423282 - 11/29/04 02:07 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I bought Yoshimi first, great cd. Then i bought soft bulletin, great cd also. Any reccomendations for my next FL purchase? Im sure all of their cds are great.

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
Re: Flaming Lips [Re: druqks46]
    #3423644 - 11/29/04 03:26 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

clouds taste mettalic is amazing... im more into there older style than the newer music... though it is good still, i enjoy the former :smile:

and ZAIREKA! is the best everone should buy that.

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom