Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSlashOZ
:D
Male

Loc: Following the water cycle
Re: We really should cut the defense budget [Re: zappaisgod]
    #16257818 - 05/20/12 11:26 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
We are in the top tax bracket.

:ilold:

--------------------
"Life sucks but in this really beautiful way" - Axl Rose
"Life's a bitch and then you die that's why we get high cuz you never know when you're gonna go." - NAS
"When people don't know what you're about they put you down and shut you out" - Black Sabbath
"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" - Gandhi
"Look up at me I am God, look down on me and I am evil, look at me I am you." - Charles Manson.
"Don't question my reality." - Me (as far as I know)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: We really should cut the defense budget [Re: SlashOZ]
    #16257909 - 05/20/12 11:44 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Why you laughing?

--------------------

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Uncanny Valley
    #16258043 - 05/20/12 12:21 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Quote:

Enlil said:
You're arguing against positions that I never took.

You went too far, counselor, when you said this, which I was kind enough to highlight for you

"Every dollar that is cut is one less dollar available to pay someone."  The cascade of dollars is much more effective OUTSIDE the government than it is inside it.

This statement is 100% true and accurate within the context of how it was written...

For every dollar cut, there is one less dollar going to a paycheck...period...It isn't a matter of who is managing that dollar...if someone cuts a dollar from defense, some defense company has one less dollar to pay a worker...There's no inaccuracy there...

You're making some macro level argument about how dollars are better off in private hands...that's not the issue...I happen to agree with you on this.  It is, however, a FACT that when defense budget is cut, that is less money going to people's paychecks...

I am more than happy to see 1.4 trillion dollars cut from many different things and let the unemployment rate skyrocket...it'll come around eventually.  But to claim that cutting a dollar doesn't take it out of a paycheck is nonsense.

--------------------
Censoring opposing views since 2014.

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: We really should cut the defense budget [Re: Enlil] * 1
    #16258064 - 05/20/12 12:27 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Enlil said:
Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Quote:

Enlil said:

You went too far, counselor, when you said this, which I was kind enough to highlight for you

"Every dollar that is cut is one less dollar available to pay someone."  The cascade of dollars is much more effective OUTSIDE the government than it is inside it.

This statement is 100% true and accurate within the context of how it was written...

For every dollar cut, there is one less dollar going to a paycheck...period...It isn't a matter of who is managing that dollar...if someone cuts a dollar from defense, some defense company has one less dollar to pay a worker...There's no inaccuracy there...

You're making some macro level argument about how dollars are better off in private hands...that's not the issue...I happen to agree with you on this.  It is, however, a FACT that when defense budget is cut, that is less money going to people's paychecks...

I am more than happy to see 1.4 trillion dollars cut from many different things and let the unemployment rate skyrocket...it'll come around eventually.  But to claim that cutting a dollar doesn't take it out of a paycheck is nonsense.

Not if that dollar came out of a paycheck in the first place.  Every nickel the government spends was taken from someone else who couldn't spend it somewhere else.  It is a zero sum game even in the short term.  One guy not having a dollar that the government paid him means one guy having a dollar the government didn't take.

--------------------

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #16258086 - 05/20/12 12:33 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Not if that dollar came out of a paycheck in the first place.  Every nickel the government spends was taken from someone else who couldn't spend it somewhere else.  It is a zero sum game even in the short term.  One guy not having a dollar that the government paid him means one guy having a dollar the government didn't take.

That would be true if we had a balanced budget...but this isn't a zero sum game...The deficit isn't coming out of your pocket or mine...it's coming out of some future generation's pocket...only the interest is coming out of mine.

You can say that you're not interested in looking at the short term, but it isn't even that...there is every indication that the debt will NEVER be paid.  It will always exist...meaning that it will always be artificial money upon which we pay the interest ad infinitum...

As such, that money could never go to a person's paycheck unless it was borrowed and spent by the government.  So if we borrow 500 billion less and cut that amount from defense...500 billion less will go to people's paychecks now and forever...

And I'm okay with that.

--------------------

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: We really should cut the defense budget [Re: Enlil]
    #16258135 - 05/20/12 12:51 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Enlil said:
Quote:

zappaisgod said:

That would be true if we had a balanced budget...but this isn't a zero sum game...The deficit isn't coming out of your pocket or mine...it's coming out of some future generation's pocket...only the interest is coming out of mine.

Well no, counselor, it is most likely to come out of my pocket.  And out of the pockets of the people who would otherwise hire me.
Quote:

You can say that you're not interested in looking at the short term, but it isn't even that...there is every indication that the debt will NEVER be paid.  It will always exist...meaning that it will always be artificial money upon which we pay the interest ad infinitum...

This is why you are neither a business person nor an economist.  And didn't you just say that it wasn't coming out of your pocket or mine yet in this sentence you say it is? 
Quote:

As such, that money could never go to a person's paycheck unless it was borrowed and spent by the government.  So if we borrow 500 billion less and cut that amount from defense...500 billion less will go to people's paychecks now and forever...

And I'm okay with that.

No, 500B will go to other people's paychecks producing other things.  Because the government won't be taking it out of the private sector.

--------------------

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #16258184 - 05/20/12 01:02 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Clearly you don't understand the concept of a deficit...We spend 1.4 trillion that is not funded by taxes...so if that 1.4 trillion were not spent, taxes would not go down...There wouldn't be additional money in anyone's pocket...

You've dug your heels in...and you're convinced you're right...I'm certainly convinced I'm right...this conversation can serve no further purpose, dave.

--------------------

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#16258214 - 05/20/12 01:07 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Enlil said:
Clearly you don't understand the concept of a deficit...We spend 1.4 trillion that is not funded by taxes...so if that 1.4 trillion were not spent, taxes would not go down...There wouldn't be additional money in anyone's pocket...

You've dug your heels in...and you're convinced you're right...I'm certainly convinced I'm right...this conversation can serve no further purpose, dave.

Except for attorneys, most educated people realize that the bill is going to eventually come out of somebody's pocket.  Everybody not a retarded monkey knows that the bill will come due, one way or the other.  See Europe.

--------------------

InvisibleEntheogenicPeace
Scholar
Male

Re: We really should cut the defense budget [Re: memes]
    #16258471 - 05/20/12 02:02 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

---

Edited by EntheogenicPeace (01/19/22 05:38 PM)

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: We really should cut the defense budget [Re: EntheogenicPeace]
    #16258663 - 05/20/12 02:56 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

EntheogenicPeace said:
Quote:

It's not really what you'd think...

And we spend so little on defense relative to what we spend supporting an unsustainable social services system

My thoughts on the matter, particularly as it relates to the "Taxed Enough Already" Tea Party types, income tax, & military spending (note: I said military and not defense bc the former is simply objective instead of making a subjective claim regarding its purpose).

First off, how synonymous is federal "discretionary spending" with being funded by income taxes, or is some "mandatory spending" at the federal level funded by income taxes (as opposed to the two largest entitlement programs, Social Security & Medicare, which I believe at least for the near future are fully funded by separate taxes, specific to those programs)?

They are not funded.  They are a Ponzi scheme that is scheduled to collapse.  The fact that they have not collapsed yet is no indicator that they are fully funded.  I don't believe they are funded at all, in fact, they rely solely on continued contributions by people who will never likely see any benefits unless the contribution rate is vastly increased.
Quote:

If the two are generally synonymous, then it reveals the hypocrisy (or simply the ignorance) of the Tea Party*. Total military-related expenditures are upwards of $1 trillion dollars per year (note: I said total and not simply the Pentagon budget, which I'm aware is only $700 billion). If you add in the interest on the debt as a result of unfunded war & other military expenditures, it's up to like $1.2 trillion per year. Even w/o counting the interest on the debt attributable to military spending, the amount (0.9-1.0 trillion) is ~60% of discretionary spending.

I looked up US military expenditures and got 711M.  How you figure the debt on that is 500M a year is beyond me.  But that's fine.  Why is the federal government spending much money on anything else at all.  We are a nation of states.  That's why we exist.
Quote:

Total income taxes taken in at the federal level are only around $1 trillion per year. If the two are roughly synonymous (discretionary spending & spending funded by income taxes), then it means that about 60 cents of every dollar of income taxes is going to the overall military budget (again, not counting interest payments on the federal debt). How can someone complain about high income taxes if they are obsessive supporters of what is by far consuming more of them than any other program? In fact, they want to increase military spending even further (see Romney's recent op-ed in Chicago Tribune for one of countless examples of this).

I believe Romney's point was that Europe was a pile of cunts, which position I share entirely.  Income tax receipts are higher than that and, since the sixties, payroll taxes have been thrown into the general til.  That is why medicare medicaid and soc sec are not fully funded.  They aren't dedicated tax receipts.
Quote:

Further, Tea Party types probably enjoy the Interstate (and dare I say even public education) as much as the rest of the population,

No, we do not enjoy public education.  It has been co-opted by union idiots
Quote:

so it's not as if other discretionary spending = welfare. In fact, I think strict welfare programs (such as Food Stamps & TANF, along with foreign humanitarian aid) are only about 3% of the federal budget. Further, things like drug prohibition spending in all its forms they like even more than the general population.

Drug prohibition is favored by the people, sadly.
Quote:

Even if I am missing something, such as income taxes being used to fund (albeit not fully, of course) certain things that I am not aware of, the central point still stands: If you want to increase spending in an area that currently consumes 25-30% of the federal budget, you really should stop complaining about taxes being too high.

Military spending is going to go down by quite a lot since you made a point that it wasn't just the Pentagon budget.  I agree that we should leave Afghanistan now.  Obama has completely botched it.

--------------------

InvisibleEntheogenicPeace
Scholar
Male

#16259320 - 05/20/12 06:00 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

---

Edited by EntheogenicPeace (01/19/22 05:38 PM)

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California, US Flag
Re: We really should cut the defense budget [Re: Enlil] * 2
    #16259476 - 05/20/12 06:41 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I agree with Enlil on this thread.  His arguments are correct.

Here's my observation on zappa.  If you ever even suggest that anything the Government does might be good, his brain switches to "does not compute - must use ad hominem attacks" mode.

--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: We really should cut the defense budget [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #16259637 - 05/20/12 07:16 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

That wasn't what I was suggesting at all...I am all for cutting defense spending....and I couldn't care less how many jobs are lost because of it...

--------------------

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In a Tree
    #16259683 - 05/20/12 07:25 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
Here's my observation on zappa.  If you ever even suggest that anything the Government does might be good, his brain switches to "does not compute - must use ad hominem attacks" mode.

There are certainly "good things that the government does".  However, there isn't anything "the government does good" 

(grammer fairy says:  there isn't anything the government does well. I left it as 'good' for the wording's sake)

Take my word for it.  I've worked in government at the local and federal levels.  Government employees are, on-the-whole (yes, there are exceptions), inherently lazy, and government processes are exceptionally inefficient.

TRUST ME.  If you knew the federal acquisitions process, you'd be like "goddamn, thats so rediculous, how is it that we still manage to spend trillions every year?".

Offlinethelivingfreekshow
Fuck You
Male User Gallery

Loc: Prifddinas, Gielinor
Re: We really should cut the defense budget [Re: memes]
    #16259735 - 05/20/12 07:36 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

This ones getting good...:popcorn:

OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

#16259793 - 05/20/12 07:54 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Quote:

Enlil said:
Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Quote:

Enlil said:

You know, over the years, I'm glad I haven't just ignored what you said. I still think you're a bastard, but then again if I lived in new york city I'd be stabbing people and tearing their eyes out.

I never like tax, it's just a fancy way of saying "give us your money or I'll cut you". It is taking money by force (don't believe me? don't pay your tax, see what happens) and just like a mugger on a street using my money to buy something with it that I don't want (like, bullets for a gun to hold up people with, heroin, a mobile phone) the government uses my money to fund wars to destablise countries I haven't even heard of which will then have a whole host of people angry and wanting to kill us, using more of my money on weaponised culture and entertainment (in the UK, we have a ministry of culture, paid by tax, to push an agenda) and spending my money on ugly shit I didn't want nor was I asked about, nor was anyone else asked about.

But when I want something, I'll go for it and buy it. If I want food, I find someplace that is not part of a mega international franchise, I'll spend it in a place where the people will take the money, and then it'll go around the community, yadda yadda.

I'm not going to agree with a whole lot of what you say, I think you have way too much invested in the system and I'm sure you'll ask yourself someday what's it all for when you can't take it with you, but by fuck you make a lot more sense than most "communism for everyone!" fantasists.

--------------------

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: We really should cut the defense budget [Re: Enlil] * 1
    #16259918 - 05/20/12 08:20 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Enlil said:
That wasn't what I was suggesting at all...I am all for cutting defense spending....

I was just saying your deficit logic was correct; I wasn't saying you were against spending cuts.

Quote:

Enlil said:
and I couldn't care less how many jobs are lost because of it...

You and I disagree about what we care about; that says a lot about the kind of person you are.

The trick is to fix the economy, THEN reduce the debt.  There should NEVER be deficit spending when the economy is good.

--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

InvisibleDieCommie

#16259936 - 05/20/12 08:24 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Enlil said:
That wasn't what I was suggesting at all...I am all for cutting defense spending....and I couldn't care less how many jobs are lost because of it...

But you are ignoring the jobs that would be created because of it though.  The notion that we have a high military budget is just to make busy work so that their are more jobs is stupid.  Economics doesnt work that way. 

You say this, but its not quite true,

Quote:

For every dollar cut, there is one less dollar going to a paycheck...period

For every dollar cut there is one dollar going to a different paycheck.  The money doesn't just go away...

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: We really should cut the defense budget [Re: DieCommie]
    #16260051 - 05/20/12 08:42 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

DieCommie said:
But you are ignoring the jobs that would be created because of it though. 

For every dollar cut there is one dollar going to a different paycheck.  The money doesn't just go away...

Obviously, neither you nor zappa were able to follow Enlil's arguement about deficits.  No jobs would be created without increasing the deficit further.  And increasing the deficit isn't what people want to do right now.

As he said, if there were no debt, THEN we could either use that extra money to pay for tax cuts or to improve roads,schools, etc. thereby creating jobs.

--------------------

InvisibleDieCommie

#16260089 - 05/20/12 08:51 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

You can do that with debt too though. :confused:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale