Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinenewgui
मशरूम की दोस्त
 User Gallery

Re: I just hung out with a homeless man for 12+ hours [Re: Smoky McPot]
    #16265211 - 05/21/12 09:33 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Ah! I was going to say. Funny that you actually brought up Jamestown as well.

Puritan, much? :smug:

--------------------
http://picnic1.bandcamp.com/

:vegan:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleNWlight
Just look

#16265215 - 05/21/12 09:34 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

:lol: of course it doesn't smoky.

Because if nobody worked, NOBODY would eat.

if SOME people work, then SOME people are doing the work of the many.

it doesn't make sense to be rewarded for nothing... that's not how reality is set up.

--------------------
:wizard::deemsters:

InvisibleSlashOZ
:D
Male

Loc: Following the water cycle
    #16265217 - 05/21/12 09:34 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Smoky McPot said:

My point stands.  This principle of working for your food goes all the way back to the first American colonies like Jamestown where they realized that not working doesn't work

Yeah. Its okay to take care of those in need that are homeless by circumstance. However, it is intolerable to take care of those that choose to be dependent by being homeless.

--------------------
"Life sucks but in this really beautiful way" - Axl Rose
"Life's a bitch and then you die that's why we get high cuz you never know when you're gonna go." - NAS
"When people don't know what you're about they put you down and shut you out" - Black Sabbath
"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" - Gandhi
"Look up at me I am God, look down on me and I am evil, look at me I am you." - Charles Manson.
"Don't question my reality." - Me (as far as I know)

Offlinenewgui
मशरूम की दोस्त
 User Gallery

Re: I just hung out with a homeless man for 12+ hours [Re: Crypt Keeper]
    #16265222 - 05/21/12 09:36 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Crypt Keeper said:
commie.

:lol:

Still living in the McCarthy era, I see.

--------------------

Offlinenewgui
मशरूम की दोस्त
 User Gallery

Re: I just hung out with a homeless man for 12+ hours [Re: NWlight]
    #16265233 - 05/21/12 09:37 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

NWlight said:
that's not how reality is set up.

your reality, perhaps.

--------------------

InvisibleNWlight
Just look

Re: I just hung out with a homeless man for 12+ hours [Re: newgui]
    #16265236 - 05/21/12 09:38 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

dude, matter doesn't move itself.

that's all I'm saying.

because if you don't work and you're being fed, somebody ELSE is working to grow and bring you your food.

unfair much

--------------------

InvisibleDieCommie

#16265242 - 05/21/12 09:39 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

because if you don't work and you're being fed, somebody ELSE is working to grow and bring you your food.

unfair much

But, as has already been pointed out, many are more than happy to give food.  Professional beggars have been a mainstay throughout history, haven't they?

InvisibleNWlight
Just look

Re: I just hung out with a homeless man for 12+ hours [Re: DieCommie]
    #16265253 - 05/21/12 09:41 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

doesn't make it any more fair.

Again, I don't have a problem with homeless people.

I don't even have a problem with mooches because people either CHOOSE to give them food or they don't.

it's the self-entitled nonsense I want to slap around

--------------------

InvisibleNWlight
Just look

#16265264 - 05/21/12 09:44 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Actually, I DO have a problem with homeless people who mooch and they don't have to, because beyond the money they get from strangers from begging, they also get federal medical benefits, food stamps etc.

I think that if you don't want to be part of society then you shouldn't get the benefits of society, either.

--------------------

InvisibleDieCommie

#16265266 - 05/21/12 09:44 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Sure it does.  If its voluntary between two people how could that not be fair?  Its take so little of ones pay to actually eat that its easy to subsidize a bum without affecting lifestyle much.  Not that I want to do it... but people like doing it.  I think its fair.

Offlinenewgui
मशरूम की दोस्त
 User Gallery

#16265273 - 05/21/12 09:45 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

NWlight said:
dude, matter doesn't move itself.

that's all I'm saying.

unfair much

It's just compassion. If you don't want to give, which you already did, to someone on the street, because you worked for it, then don't. But you obviously can't agree with this completely if you do see the humanity in 'some'.

I think that's part of the issue. People talk about homelessness as if it's a disease, something you come down with. Eventually people want to believe that all homeless are just people who don't want to work, or mooch off the system. Maybe some do. Maybe some don't. But my opinion is that by saying something like that, you're just justifying a selfish attitude.

--------------------

InvisibleNWlight
Just look

#16265293 - 05/21/12 09:50 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Agreed, many people treat the homeless like an affliction on society.

They are a side effect of a greater problem, usually.

Again, though, I have no problem with assisting homeless who have a mental illness or were dealt a bad hand physically etc.

But for an able-bodied intelligent man to go to the Emergency room and get free medical care, to get food stamps from the US gov't, to get free medicines from homeless clinics (like the one I work at), while not doing anything to contribute to the system that has helped them so much is just wrong.

For example, my brother is college educated but on food stamps.  pisses me off, because there are people out there who truly need it and he could be making a living.

Such hypocrisy when people say they don't want to be part of the system, but they are more than happy to take all the benefits that society gives them.

--------------------

OfflineAt My Peak
Jarell
Male

Loc: common side effect of met...
Re: I just hung out with a homeless man for 12+ hours [Re: allhallows]
    #16265299 - 05/21/12 09:51 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

allhallows said:
This one time when I was younger, I was alone in NYC and 2 crooks chased me into central park. This nice homeless woman saved me by unleashing dozens of pidgeons on the crooks, scaring them off. Later that week she took me to the roof top of the New York Symphony where we watche the show from this indescribable view. I bought her a hot chocolate.

Later, I bought her a christmas ornament and gave it to her on Christmas morning. It was 2 white doves. I gave her one and I kept one. I told her that every time I look at this I will remember her.

:trololol:

--------------------

DISCLAIMER:
Everything I say is completely and 100% true and is a widely known and personally tested fact.

Offlinenewgui
मशरूम की दोस्त
 User Gallery

Re: I just hung out with a homeless man for 12+ hours [Re: At My Peak]
    #16265323 - 05/21/12 09:57 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Well you gotta take the good with the bad. I'd much rather these social aids be there than not. Yes, capitalism, every many for himself, fuck you it's my money, I get it. I guess.

But shit, man.

My best friend's parents are some of the kindest people I know. They've always housed me, and been very nice to me. His mother was a kindergarden teacher and his father worked at Lowes. They both lost their jobs. They've been on unemployment for a while now, and they still haven't been able to find jobs. Are they abusing the system? Fuck no. Would they be homeless otherwise? Most likely.

Without systems like these, although they have abuse potential, many, many more people would have nothing to their names.

--------------------

InvisibleNWlight
Just look

#16265331 - 05/21/12 09:59 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Well you gotta take the good with the bad. I'd much rather these social aids be there than not.

Therein lies the issue, and I agree with you fully.  It's not always possible to make a clear line between those who are truly deserving and those who simply prefer to mooch.

Therefore, yes.  We must take the good with the bad.

--------------------

InvisibleSlashOZ
:D
Male

Loc: Following the water cycle
    #16265333 - 05/21/12 09:59 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

newgui said:
Well you gotta take the good with the bad. I'd much rather these social aids be there than not. Yes, capitalism, every many for himself, fuck you it's my money, I get it. I guess.

But shit, man.

My best friend's parents are some of the kindest people I know. They've always housed me, and been very nice to me. His mother was a kindergarden teacher and his father worked at Lowes. They both lost their jobs. They've been on unemployment for a while now, and they still haven't been able to find jobs. Are they abusing the system? Fuck no. Would they be homeless otherwise? Most likely.

Without systems like these, although they have abuse potential, many, many more people would have nothing to their names.

the problem isn't people who are victims of circumstance. the problem is the 18-20 year old kid that chooses to run off and be homeless and beg on the streets cuz its cool. or the life long bums. those people serve no one except themselves and that is the ultimate form of selfish behavior far and away worse than mainstream capitalism's greed.

--------------------
"Life sucks but in this really beautiful way" - Axl Rose
"Life's a bitch and then you die that's why we get high cuz you never know when you're gonna go." - NAS
"When people don't know what you're about they put you down and shut you out" - Black Sabbath
"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" - Gandhi
"Look up at me I am God, look down on me and I am evil, look at me I am you." - Charles Manson.
"Don't question my reality." - Me (as far as I know)

Offlinenewgui
मशरूम की दोस्त
 User Gallery

Re: I just hung out with a homeless man for 12+ hours [Re: SlashOZ]
    #16265351 - 05/21/12 10:05 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Interesting how "freedom" is promoted so vigourously, and blindly in many cases, but when someone choses to live their own way, and in their eyes, "freely", they're haranged by members of society?

I understand where you're coming from, completely, but nobody is making you do anything for them. Even still it should be no excuse to lump other homeless people in with them, which many people still do.

--------------------

InvisibleNWlight
Just look

#16265363 - 05/21/12 10:07 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

The problem in my eyes isn't with them choosing to be homeless.  It's them choosing to be homeless, or "not part of the system", but still happily accepting the benefits paid for by the work of EVERYONE ELSE IN THE SYSTEM.

Seriously, working with the homeless has shown me that while it still sucks balls, they get a ton of stuff for free.

(This situation applies only to able-bodied intelligent people, I am making no judgements on the many mentally disabled people who are unfortunate enough to live on the street)

I'm all for a voluntarist government, but if you are going to opt out... then opt out.

--------------------

Offlinenewgui
मशरूम की दोस्त
 User Gallery

#16265377 - 05/21/12 10:11 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

That must mean their lives are amazing, right? :tongue:

You and I work and we get things for free, many of those being benefits that homeless people can't have. There is probably a seriously long list of them, but we've become so accustomed to it that we don't even realize it anymore. Then we look at a homeless and go, "wow they're getting a free meal or free 'whatever', look at all their benefits!"

Isn't that a summary of consumer culture as it is, everyone running around being jealous of everyone elses things? :lol:

--------------------

OfflineSmoky McPot
Fool
Male

Re: I just hung out with a homeless man for 12+ hours [Re: SlashOZ]
    #16265381 - 05/21/12 10:11 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

SlashOZ said:
the problem isn't people who are victims of circumstance. the problem is the 18-20 year old kid that chooses to run off and be homeless and beg on the streets cuz its cool. or the life long bums. those people serve no one except themselves and that is the ultimate form of selfish behavior far and away worse than mainstream capitalism's greed.

This^.
I have no problems with charity or even federal aid for people who actually need it, my problem is with young healthy men and woman standing on the corner with a cardboard sign, my problem is the conmen who abuse the welfare system and squander tax payer money because they're lazy, and my problem is with people like some of the people on this board who enable and encourage this lifestyle for the sake of "not being part of the system."

--------------------
[quote]
Free.Your.Mind said:
jesus btw had part alien DNA
how do you think was able to preform miracles?
i look at the bible from a scientific stand point [/quote]            :africaface:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale