Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Petri Dish

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDionysus
Initiate

Loc: Canada
Slow Mycelium Growth, what is up with that?
    #1625308 - 06/11/03 01:21 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I am having some trouble. I am in the spawning phase (I have three test tubes with grain inside, mixed with mycelium covered substrate extractions originally from petri cultures), yet I am noticing a very slow growth. The mycelium is supposed to run the grain through so I can inoculate soil then case it. However, I have been letting it grow for over a week now and have noticed minimal growing. This could be due to the temperature of my terrarium (it reads around 77F) or something else perhaps. If anyone has any ideas how I can increase the speed and/or maximize the conditions of cultivation I would be very appreciative. Thank you so much.

--------------------
"To arrive at the edge of the world's knowledge, seek out the most complex and sophisticated minds, put them in a room together, and have them ask each other the questions they are asking themselves."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: Slow Mycelium Growth, what is up with that? [Re: Dionysus]
    #1625581 - 06/11/03 04:14 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Take a whiff of the tube. It should smell like mushrooms and grain. Do not smell the tube directly, just get a small whiff. A temperature increase can help the speed, but if it smells bad then it is lost.

If it looks ok, smells ok, and is still growing, then let it work its magic. Sit back and wait. You need patience in this hobby, there is always time.

--------------------
To give is to live...

Invisible40oz
 User Gallery

Loc: Sandy Eggo. Ca.
    #1625597 - 06/11/03 04:27 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

are the tubes airtight?
are the grains too dry?

have u tried shaking the tubes to give you more inoculation points?

--------------------
:pacman: - - - -  :pill: :mushroom2: :pill2: :mushroom2: :regularshroom: :mushroomgrow: :pill: :pill2: :mushroom2: :poison:

:sun::heart::sun:

tiny_rabid_birds said:
"your avatar is dirty."

OfflineDionysus
Initiate

Re: Slow Mycelium Growth, what is up with that? [Re: 40oz]
    #1627342 - 06/11/03 10:02 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the ideas.
I have the temperature at about 80F, what temperatures should I avoid? Would it be worth heating it up a bit?
I am considering using a dropper and adding some moisture to the grain mixture, how careful do I need to be concerning wetness in the test tubes?
I shaked up the tube a couple of days ago to ensure that it has been spread around a bit. But I only have about six or seven entire grains per test tube that have been totally covered by mycelium. It almost looks as though the mycelium has stopped growing. I am quite patient, but the lack of growth has caused some consern. What could be the cause of this?
Grain moisture?
Temperature?
Humidity?
Air intake?
Thank you so much for your help in this matter.

--------------------
"To arrive at the edge of the world's knowledge, seek out the most complex and sophisticated minds, put them in a room together, and have them ask each other the questions they are asking themselves."

OfflineDionysus
Initiate

#1627371 - 06/11/03 10:17 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I found this;

Spawn Run:
Relative Humidity: 90%.
Substrate Temperature: 84?F - 86?F. Thermal death limits have been established at 106?F.
Duration: 10-14 days.
CO2: 5000 - 10,000 ppm.
Fresh Air Exchanges: 0 per hour.

According to this I should pump up my temperature from 78 up to 85 and go from 40% humidity to 90%. Does anyone think this will help speed up and spread out the mycelium in the test tubes? What should I do?

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Petri Dish

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation