Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Loc: Portland, OR
Consciousness... Emerging
    #1624580 - 06/10/03 09:43 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Emerge: to come forth from obscurity, into view.
"Mindfulness": to pay attention, to see clearly.

Mindfulness (vipassana or insight meditation) invites us to come into the here and now; into "this" moment, into this breath. We have all heard the assertion "you have to be present to win." Mindfulness teaches us that we have to be present to see. To see the moment arising and passing; to see and feel the breath expanding and falling, the thoughts coming and going; the ego-self grasping, clinging, judging, repressing, reacting; the body softening or tightening; sensations manifesting and diminishing.

Only in this "being" state is there the stillness and the awareness to open to the emergence of the moment, the manifestation of "what is." Without this awareness, we eat without tasting, look without seeing, listen without hearing, and generally live our lives quite unconsciously. We are not present to the perfect truth, beauty and wisdom that each unfolding moment has to teach us. It is in this present awareness that the truth of our lives can emerge.

When we engage in the formal sitting practice of mindfulness meditation, we are given the opportunity to observe. We can observe our wild-mind states, our impatience, our struggling, holding, fear, anger, anxiety, compulsive tendencies, physical sensations, our locked way of thing, our reactivity.

We can note the content of our thoughts, the feelings associated with them, our reactions to them. We might become aware of agendas, attachments, likes and dislikes, and inaccuracies in our ideas. We can gain insight into what drives us, how we see the world, who we think we are -- insight into our fears and aspirations. As mindfulness instructor and author Jon Kabat-Zin says, we become present to the "full catastrophe."

When we spend this kind of time in our body, places and sensations have the opportunity to open to our awareness, to "emerge." These places are points of tension, tightness or restriction that we may have been spending our entire lives trying to hold on to or avoid being present with, places that we have closed down around and places which we've refused to even ook at or acknowledge. Thus, we have cut ourselves off from our feelings, our own deep knowing, our healing and our lives.

These unexplored places become our conditioning, our "mode of operation," our habits; the source of our reacting to life and all that it presents. Consciousness awareness work, or mindfulness, provides the opportunity to open up to "what is," thus affording us the opportunity to make more conscious choices, to respond rather than react to our experience and our lives.

There is no goal to this work or way of being but simply to become more aware of and in touch with life and with whatever is happening in our own body and mind as it is h appening. If we are experiencing distressing thoughts, feelings or pain, we learn to acknowledge and, perhaps, accept them for what they are, simply because they are present in this moment. We resist the immediate impulse to escape the unpleasantness. Instead, we attempt to see them clearly as they are (just thoughts, sensations, feelings), making space for them to quietly emerge and be present.

It takes a warrior's heart to venture into our ego and our preconceptions, to see what actually emerges, to see what is actually there. Teacher and author Pema Chodron speaks of this willingness to take off our gloves, mittens and boots, and truly feel our fear, tenderness, vulnerability and numbness. To live in this basic rawness, for even five minutes, is warriorship.

--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Loc: Portland, OR
Re: Consciousness... Emerging [Re: CosmicJoke]
    #1624588 - 06/10/03 09:46 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

The Guest-House
by Rumi

This being human is a guest house
Every morning a new arrival
A joy, a depression, a meanness, some momentary awareness
comes
As an unexpected visitor.
Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they're a crowd of sorrows,
Who violently sweep your house
Empty of its furniture
Still, treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out for some new delight.
The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
Meet them at the door laughing,
And invite them in.
Be grateful for whoever comes,
Because each has been sent
As a guide from beyond.

--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

OfflineCougheeman
enthusiast
Re: Consciousness... Emerging [Re: CosmicJoke]
    #1625021 - 06/10/03 11:56 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Great post Cosmic. Exactly what meditation does, it forces the mind to be thinking in the present, not the past nor the future, but to experience reality at that very moment. It doesn't seem like much, but just count the amount of times a day you think into the past or await the future.

Every time i meditate, i feel as though iam almost like defragging my mind, organizing and resorting thoughts and events. The first few minutes are almost always like a mini movie put together of recent thoughts, fears, desires and just random things. After being aware of all this, its passes into history, all regrets are done and there iam just enjoying the present moment. Again great post!

--------------------
Aum Namah Sivaya

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology